Sign in to follow this  
loriaw

issue with user name and password

Dear Hinterland. In the past 6 weeks I have had my gaming rig self-destruct. While waiting for new hardware I used my Mom's old rig (whopping dual core with a number on the ram that requires only the fingers on one hand). Now I have a new rig that can go screaming along … but I've had to reset my password here 7 or 8 times between the two new computers. Back to back for several tries because the site doesn't appear to be making note of the new password. 

Yes, I double checked. I even copied/pasted it to be sure several times. I've got cookies set to allow (even third party which will be turned off as soon as I have everything else settled and in place). Just an fyi because after 6 weeks of literally tearing my hair out and face planting on my keyboard I'm about done fighting with computers, the internet, etc. If you want a good giggle ask me to rant about fedex and how it takes them 18 days to manage to get a motherboard and processor a few miles (trust me when I say I've been leaving love notes on every bit of social media they have about that). 

You signed in and posted so you must be Ok now then?

Edited by nicko

Thanks for letting us know, loriaw . That does seem unusual. We haven't seen any issues with the password systems on our side, but we'll certainly keep an eye out. We've been meaning to do a bit of back-end maintenance on the forums for a while now but keep getting tied up in other projects -- we'll put this on the list and hopefully get to it soon!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, loriaw said:

If you want a good giggle ask me to rant about fedex and how it takes them 18 days to manage to get a motherboard and processor a few miles

2 months here, and that's if you don't have to bother with Customs. That's the price of tropical weather, and glad you're now back on track!

9 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

2 months here, and that's if you don't have to bother with Customs. That's the price of tropical weather, and glad you're now back on track!

Given that the guaranteed 7-14 day window here for fedex ground (I had NO other option, sadly) was exceeded, and they didn't even bother to deliver it themselves, but handed it off to USPS which added another 4 days to that 18 (they tagged it as transferred, but didn't actually deliver it until the third day) … yeah, they ticked me off. They also got dinged by the company I ordered from. Still, it was an aggravating and stress filled month. It's amazing how much damage one wonky leg on a power supply can cause. The good news is that I more than quadrupled the rig capability I had. The bad news is I could have just ordered an out of the box machine for a third of what I spent. 

The pain in the butt part is that in our tiny house, we're now making space for 5 computers (there are only two of us ROFL). We normally have three up and running. Two for gaming mostly, but I use two depending on what I'm modding ~ or we play movies on the extra since it was originally set up for that and we don't do cable). The extra two will be backups … because neither one of us wants another go-round like this last one. 

Given that our outside temps right now are hovering just around -22F, I could handle the tropical weather :-) ! 

6 hours ago, Support said:

Thanks for letting us know, loriaw . That does seem unusual. We haven't seen any issues with the password systems on our side, but we'll certainly keep an eye out. We've been meaning to do a bit of back-end maintenance on the forums for a while now but keep getting tied up in other projects -- we'll put this on the list and hopefully get to it soon!

Thanky! I just found it odd that the system wasn't recognizing my password to start with, and when I reset it, skimmed through the posts, logged out, and then came back in about an hour it insisted the new one wasn't recognized. At least twice.  I'm meticulous about keeping track of passwords given the number of sites I'm active on, so this was an aberration.