Grab Rope Anywhere

Ice Hole

Rope cannot be used unless in designated area.

Sometimes after looking over a ledge I may go too far and now stuck.  If the rope is nearby I try and go for it and even though it is right if front of character's face there is no option to use it.  Could the rope be more of a real object and be utilized at any point.  

If I understand you, you're just asking to be able to grab ropes from anywhere along their length after they've already been deployed from their normal anchorages already in the game.  I'm fine with that.  However, I don't think we should be able to deploy ropes from anywhere there is not an actual anchorage rock.

18 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

be able to grab ropes from anywhere along their length after they've already been deployed

Exactly.

This rope should allow handling or is it going too beyond what the code allows and a drastic change or overhaul would be required.  Already the climbable brambles work in this fashion and can be grabbed anywhere, although once started movement is uncontrollable and one way direction.  screen_68400697-4892-4574-a69c-a2356589cf2f_hi.thumb.png.7d9e75ed7efb6c3347a3bb2abb665730.png

No option to grab the rope where clearly the character should be allowed.

screen_f4c85963-e1d8-439b-948d-57179a6ad989_hi.thumb.png.b2472cee653a844d2fcd89abd3c0b027.png

2 hours ago, BareSkin said:

just use gravity to "slip down"

Brilliant idea.  Sort of like a fireman's pole.  The sprint key could allow for this rope burn. Also wearing work gloves or gauntlets reduces damage to the hands. 

The other balance to interject would be total slipping and falling much the same when exhausted.  The longer the rope sprint is used there greater the chance to completely fail and fall.  So if you want to go down a rope fast the cost is a chance to have a horrible injury.  This rope sprint mechanic might give me a good reason to go back to descending with ropes.

Archived