How Igloos Could fit into TLD

Willy Pete

I came across this video a week ago and think it's proper evidence for how an Igloo could work in the game. >Link<

The way I see it, we've already got a snow shelter in which you can rest and shoot out of while protecting from the elements. An Igloo would provide the same, but you couldn't shoot out of it and it might provide more shelter, however it would take much longer to build and cost far more calories (something in the range of 1,500 to 2,000) while requiring 8 or so hours to make (in the video he mentions it took him 7 hours or so. You would need only a hacksaw to craft it.

This would work kinda like how the bow and the rifle work. Each has its own unique features, pros, and cons. You could feasibly craft a snow shelter if caught in a bad place when a blizzard starts, but an Igloo would take too long. On the other hand a snow shelter doesn't provide protection from animals where an igloo would. You don't need tools to craft a snow shelter, just sticks and some cloth whereas an Igloo requires a special tool. Each has a distinct purpose in the game, the snow shelter providing short term protection from the elements while the Igloo would offer greater protection at a cost of requiring more time to build.

The interface would be the same as the snow shelter, click on the entrance and you're taken inside where you can rest, sleep, and maybe place items down. It would degrade over time, requiring the hacksaw to repair.

After a 23" snowfall, a few friends and I went hiking.  At the top of a hill we built a "Quinsy".  It's like an igloo, but uses soft snow.  It's much faster to build, though not as luxuriously roomy.  You take your packs.  But them in the center.  Bury them with a snow-hill.  Pack the snow down.  Then dig out your packs from the side (this is your entrance).  After extracting your packs, you now have the beginnings of a small "room" under the snow-hill.  Continue to dig it out so you can fit yourself and your gear.

Three of us slept in ours.  Pretty warm.  Took about two hours to build.  I think we only had one shovel between us.

This is probably equivalent to the "Snow Shelter" in the game.

Archived