Fishing Huts (Which One is the best ?)

Ahatch

Just wondering , I have been playing The Long Dark a long time but I've never been a real fisherman, just curious if anyone has noticed if there was a preferred fishing spot . In this case I'm talking more Coastal Highway and Mystery Lake as with the other fishing spots there is no choice of fishing huts. I've currently on Mystery Lake on my interloper run using the hut at the back of the lake near the bear cave. Is my choice of hut going to have any impact to the amount and size of fish I catch?

I head for the ones with the doors, not because you get more fish (that makes no difference), but for warmth and security if, say, a fog rolls in and I'm stuck there overnight.  I have had a few different game starts in Mystery Lake and noticed that the doors don't always spawn on the same huts, but at least one hut on Mystery Lake always has a door.  In Coastal Highway, I usually head to the fishing hut closest to the Log Sort.  That way, I can use the big buoys and the logs themselves as reference points to help me get back to shore even in a dense fog.

11 hours ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

No, there is no difference from the huts in the same region, witch I feel needs to change a bit. I think you should only be able to fish in a certain hut for so long before the fish wise up and move away from it, forcing you to change huts to start catching fish again.

Yeah, ice fishing could do with an overhaul as the mechanics are simplistic and uninteresting. Catch rate seems to be  entirely governed by your ice fishing skill and nothing else. The only difference seems to be whether you are fishing in the sea or freshwater, which changes the species you catch. I believe you will get more calories per hour from sea fishing because of the coho salmon, but I haven’t measured this. I’d like the fishing huts to behave more like rabbit groves with variable catch rates. It would market sense to have these change over time and for huts to become over fished. You could even have catch rate vary due to time of day or other factors: maybe fish could be much more likely to bite during an aurora.

To answer the OPs original question: The most practical fishing hut seems to be the one closest to the Fishing Camp in Coastal Highway. It has good shelter with warm bed nearby and is largely undisturbed by predators. Even in a white out it is easy to find your way back to the fishing camp. However, my favourite fishing hut is the one on Pensive Pond in Pleasant Valley as it has saved my survivor on more than one occasion.

The CH fishing hut in between the two houses on islands.  This hut has a door and the nearby house can provide plenty of firewood.  Nearby, there are rabbits and the wolf hunting them, but easy enough to avoid.  Too many interloper runs to DP and this hut saved my hide.  I always stock it now with tinder, wood, coal, food and water before leaving to DP. 

I like the hut close the "fish camp/camp office" in ML.  I fish up Bass and Whitefish.  The bass have more calories.  I set up rabbit snares in the meadow on the other side of the train tracks through the rocks that lead you towards the lumber camp and the Lookout.  Usually I set up 4-6 snares and then go fishing in the hut on the lake.  Between these two activities, I get plenty of calories.  Also there seems to be plenty of wood, both logs and sticks.  Fish Camp makes a nice solid home base that you can always return to.

The Coho salmon is typically the largest (i.e. richest in calories) and you can only catch them in the salt water of Coastal Highway. Note however that the other fish you can get there is the trout which has the worst stats... You'll have to give and take I guess...

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Nymphikora said:

Using a stone trail will be a better alternative to navigating.

Shrug... don't know why it would bother anyone what I do.  I can reliably see the buoys in the fog, so I don't really have to bother putting down a trail from that particular hut, so it's my personal favorite (I was just answering the question asked).

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Shrug... don't know why it would bother anyone what I do.  I can reliably see the buoys in the fog, so I don't really have to bother putting down a trail from that particular hut, so it's my personal favorite (I was just answering the question asked).

It doesn't bother us, just providing alternatives.

Archived