Port Facility Region: Sunny Shores

Willy Pete

So I've been doing research into the world of The Long Dark as I'm interested in writing a short fan fiction piece. In it, I came across the fact that they receive supplies from the mainland and that made me realize something: there's no dedicated port facility in any of the regions, and I'd imagine most supplies come up that way.

Enter the idea for a small Port Facility, in a suburban fishing town by the name of Sunny Shores.

Starting out as fishing village in the early 20th century, Sunny Shores was located next to a bay with natural formations that gave it calm waters when it didn't ice over. While at first this meant that the townsfolk were forced to strike out into deeper water to catch fish, a boom in the early 1950's led to them being able to purchase an old tug that was converted into an ice-breaker: the Sweet Marie, named after the mayor's wife at the time.

After the collapse, the Sweet Marie was used as a tugboat for larger vessels carrying supplies from the mainland, with an outgrowth of the docks to accommodate larger vessels.

As an explorable region, it would connect to DP or CH. In the center it would be much like MT, with a store, a (possibly blown up) gas station, and a decent number of humble homes serving as shelter (most of these would probably be the type that ran on propane, with no way to make fire inside). You would find boarded up shacks and small vendor shops in a sort of boardwalk area by the piers, with the Sweet Marie locked up in the ice on the pier. Perhaps during the Aurora event you could go up and blast the vessel's foghorn, mostly for spits and giggles or to spook the wildlife.

There probably need to be a lighthouse, though this could always be destroyed so the map doesn't feel too much like DP.

Ultimately, Sunny Shores would feel like a cross between MT and DP with crummy weather and foul-tempered wildlife but more dedicated shelter and a different ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived