why those illogical mechanisms?

vargata

So, I've started a new game hearing about redux, last Ive played in ea and was hoping some things to be fixed. sadly as i see, instead of fixes things went even more illogical... for the sake of... what? like, i ate 4 whole rabbits nicely cooked but 4 whole rabbits werent enough to fill my belly. really? ok, shot a deer, a whole deer, and again, I ate the whole deer by the time cooked it 2 bits a time. should i make 4 fires to cook the deer and dont starve to death while cooking it? at the moment, the crappiest food, the cat tail is actually the best food, I can harvest tons of it with no effort and feed on it for days. i dont even get started on fishing. I ate 12kg of fish in one meal. c'mon. I couldnt stop fishing or i starve to death, and this wasnt even the highest difficulty. but after all this the worse thing: to bring snow from -10, -20 to 0 degrees, you need 5-10 times less energy than to bring it to 100 from 0 degrees, and need about 8 times the energy to boil than to melt so why on earth melting and boiling time is the same? show melts right in your hand, you can eat snow straight from the ground but you cant boil it in your mouth. after all this falling asleep after a bit running or climbing im not even surprised, seriously, you climb a rock and you get sleepy even though you just been sleeping for 12 hours? pfff, this could be such a great game if these things done properly, right now its just a cooking sim

4 hours ago, vargata said:

So, I've started a new game hearing about redux, last Ive played in ea and was hoping some things to be fixed. sadly as i see, instead of fixes things went even more illogical... for the sake of... what? like, i ate 4 whole rabbits nicely cooked but 4 whole rabbits werent enough to fill my belly. really? ok, shot a deer, a whole deer, and again, I ate the whole deer by the time cooked it 2 bits a time. should i make 4 fires to cook the deer and dont starve to death while cooking it? at the moment, the crappiest food, the cat tail is actually the best food, I can harvest tons of it with no effort and feed on it for days. i dont even get started on fishing. I ate 12kg of fish in one meal. c'mon. I couldnt stop fishing or i starve to death, and this wasnt even the highest difficulty. but after all this the worse thing: to bring snow from -10, -20 to 0 degrees, you need 5-10 times less energy than to bring it to 100 from 0 degrees, and need about 8 times the energy to boil than to melt so why on earth melting and boiling time is the same? show melts right in your hand, you can eat snow straight from the ground but you cant boil it in your mouth. after all this falling asleep after a bit running or climbing im not even surprised, seriously, you climb a rock and you get sleepy even though you just been sleeping for 12 hours? pfff, this could be such a great game if these things done properly, right now its just a cooking sim

The whole thing really is that you spend lots of calories all day while exploring to find food, hunting, climbing, etc. You as the character in the game lead a very active life while trying to survive and this is the whole point. Have you ever climbed a rope with 20-30 kilos on your back? Of course it will drain most of your power. And catching 12 kilos of fish does not mean you consume all of the 12 kilos when you eat it, you remove the head, the guts and the bones. And if you did eat so much fish at once, then you must have starved for a while. You'll be surprised of how much you can eat after a physically busy day after you've starved. Really, don't eat anything all day, run around town doing errands and then see how much you'll eat at dinner. But no one really measures how much weight on food they consume in real life. 

You can't melt snow in your hand if you don't want to freeze... Go fire up your stove, put some snow in it and tell us how much time was needed in total until it boiled and what amount of water came out.

This is the idea of this game - it's hard to survive, you've got to work to do it and it takes a lot.

I'm now playing on stalker and I can say I even have it pretty easy. The more snares you have - the more rabbits this gives you every day. Fishing gives you about one fish for every hour. So snaring rabbits and fishing is practically all you can do to get easy food. I even try to avoid these because it seems too easy to me.  Imagine having 5 snares in a real world situation and every day you get about 3 rabbits... Or coming home with 30 kilos of fish after fishing one day.

Yes, there are some things that need some tweaking, but mostly the game's logic is not really bad. If the game seems hard to you, try the lowest setting and go up from there. You can even try the custom setting - it really seems like the thing for you.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Mystix said:

The whole thing really is that you spend lots of calories all day while exploring to find food, hunting, climbing, etc. You as the character in the game lead a very active life while trying to survive and this is the whole point. Have you ever climbed a rope with 20-30 kilos on your back? Of course it will drain most of your power. And catching 12 kilos of fish does not mean you consume all of the 12 kilos when you eat it, you remove the head, the guts and the bones. And if you did eat so much fish at once, then you must have starved for a while. You'll be surprised of how much you can eat after a physically busy day after you've starved. Really, don't eat anything all day, run around town doing errands and then see how much you'll eat at dinner. But no one really measures how much weight on food they consume in real life. 

You can't melt snow in your hand if you don't want to freeze... Go fire up your stove, put some snow in it and tell us how much time was needed in total until it boiled and what amount of water came out.

This is the idea of this game - it's hard to survive, you've got to work to do it and it takes a lot.

I'm now playing on stalker and I can say I even have it pretty easy. The more snares you have - the more rabbits this gives you every day. Fishing gives you about one fish for every hour. So snaring rabbits and fishing is practically all you can do to get easy food. I even try to avoid these because it seems too easy to me.  Imagine having 5 snares in a real world situation and every day you get about 3 rabbits... Or coming home with 30 kilos of fish after fishing one day.

Yes, there are some things that need some tweaking, but mostly the game's logic is not really bad. If the game seems hard to you, try the lowest setting and go up from there. You can even try the custom setting - it really seems like the thing for you.

hard? noobs can only come with this all the time? this game is not hard, its easy, very easy, its just illogical and boring as you don't do anything but fishing hunting eating it all. i hate snares, they are cruel. did you ever leave your basement? i mean in real life, i was a traditionalist bowhunter in a country where winter is really cold (i still have 4 of my 6 bows), no, nobody eats 12 kilos of fishes or a whole deer, not once, not even a whole day, ffs not even in 3 days, not even out hunting in -15. Lions eat around 3.5 kg meat a day in captivity, slightly more in wild and lions are a lot bigger than men. I can go out fishing a few hours catching enough fish for a whole family. Did you ever kill a pig? you know, cut it up putting in the freezer? or you just buy them in the supermarket? even one gives an insane amount of meet, a deer gives FAR FAR more. the challenge in the game shouldnt come from just getting food. wood, heating the cabins (that gives you now automatic above zero safeplace) would be much more logical... no house in -30 would be a safe place without constant heating. also, climbing a cliff makes you tired, not sleepy. nobody gets sleepy right after sleeping 12 hours just because had a little activity... these stupid things can come only from someone never ever done anything like this. i used to wander the mountains for days, actually slept a lot less than at home. you get more tired but will have a much better sleep...

7 minutes ago, vargata said:

hard? noobs can only come with this all the time? this game is not hard, its easy, very easy, its just illogical and boring as you don't do anything but fishing hunting eating it all. i hate snares, they are cruel. did you ever leave your basement? i mean in real life, i was a traditionalist bowhunter in a country where winter is really cold (i still have 4 of my 6 bows), no, nobody eats 12 kilos of fishes or a whole deer, not once, not even a whole day, ffs not even in 3 days, not even out hunting in -15. Lions eat around 3.5 kg meat a day in captivity, slightly more in wild and lions are a lot bigger than men. I can go out fishing a few hours catching enough fish for a whole family. Did you ever kill a pig? you know, cut it up putting in the freezer? or you just buy them in the supermarket? even one gives an insane amount of meet, a deer gives FAR FAR more. the challenge in the game shouldnt come from just getting food. wood, heating the cabins (that gives you now automatic above zero safeplace) would be much more logical... no house in -30 would be a safe place without constant heating. also, climbing a cliff makes you tired, not sleepy. nobody gets sleepy right after sleeping 12 hours just because had a little activity... these stupid things can come only from someone never ever done anything like this. i used to wander the mountains for days, actually slept a lot less than at home. you get more tired but will have a much better sleep...

I think you're exaggerating how much you're actually eating.  I've never been able to eat a whole deer in this game to fill the hunger meter.  Each pieces of venison (1 kg) provides around 900 calories; so 2 to 3 pieces a day is easily keeping me well fed.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I think you're exaggerating how much you're actually eating.  I've never been able to eat a whole deer in this game to fill the hunger meter.  Each pieces of venison (1 kg) provides around 900 calories; so 2 to 3 pieces a day is easily keeping me well fed.

3 kg will feed you once from zero to full if its a deer, a rabbit has 500/kg, just in this moment ate 3.5kg rabbit and it took me from near starving to 2/3 of the meter, thats just eating at the beginning of the day after a long sleep. anything you do after this will rapidly burn that calorie and will need to eat again... the other poorly done thing is that you can cook only 1 or 2 piece at a time depending on the fire, cooking 8 kg meat will take at least 4 hours, thats enough to get hungry again so no, 2-3 venisons on stalker wont feed you for a day

1 minute ago, vargata said:

3 kg will feed you once from zero to full if its a deer, a rabbit has 500/kg, just in this moment ate 3.5kg rabbit and it took me from near starving to 2/3 of the meter, thats just eating at the beginning of the day after a long sleep. anything you do after this will rapidly burn that calorie and will need to eat again... the other poorly done thing is that you can cook only 1 or 2 piece at a time depending on the fire, cooking 8 kg meat will take at least 4 hours, thats enough to get hungry again so no, 2-3 venisons on stalker wont feed you for a day

I've watched players on interloper eating a lot less than 2-3 pieces of venison per day and surviving just fine in the game; so I'm pretty sure it can be done on stalker as well.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UpUpAway95 said:

I've watched players on interloper eating a lot less than 2-3 pieces of venison per day and surviving just fine in the game; so I'm pretty sure it can be done on stalker as well.

yes, you can survive if you use the health trick and only eating when critical. imagine eating 3 kg venison in real life. good luck with it. the point is not possibility, the point is its "logicality", eating 3 kg pure meat at a time would just about make you unable to move for hours

1 hour ago, vargata said:

yes, you can survive if you use the health trick and only eating when critical. imagine eating 3 kg venison in real life. good luck with it. the point is not possibility, the point is its "logicality", eating 3 kg pure meat at a time would just about make you unable to move for hours

Start a new game with Custom settings and turn the hunger rate to its lowest setting. That should mean you have to eat a lot less. 

But if advise you to also turn the loot availability and animal populations right down as well, or else you might well find that you have so much food that you don't have anything to do. 

Finding food is what drives players to get out into the world and expose themselves to danger. That's why the calorie consumption is unrealistically high (and animal meat yields are unadjusted low) in the standard modes. Without that, you're just sitting around waiting to get cabin fever. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Pillock said:

Start a new game with Custom settings and turn the hunger rate to its lowest setting. That should mean you have to eat a lot less. 

But if advise you to also turn the loot availability and animal populations right down as well, or else you might well find that you have so much food that you don't have anything to do. 

Finding food is what drives players to get out into the world and expose themselves to danger. That's why the calorie consumption is unrealistically high (and animal meat yields are unadjusted low) in the standard modes. Without that, you're just sitting around waiting to get cabin fever. 

yes, this is a point, but finding food shouldnt be the drive to go out, it should be exploration, hunting for resources and primarily heat, whenever I was out in the nature that was the most pressing matter. get enough wood to have a fire all night but in this game even that is ridiculous, chopping a piece of wood with an axe takes hours and you cant even drag it close to the fire :D:D:D really? Hunting also should be much more challenging, having less animal and running further away on an unsuccessful attempt or straight away hiding, for now its just ridiculously simple. go there, shoot miss wait while calms down rinse and repeat...

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, vargata said:

One thing : this is a game, I’m annoyed by all the people who say: "This is illogical!" and "this is unreal!" !

two thing : that's all for the game balance ! If in TLD, 3kg of fish give you 4000 calories like the real life, in a single day (let’s say you fish 3 fish) you have 12 000 calories !

That's why...

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, vargata said:

yes, this is a point, but finding food shouldnt be the drive to go out, it should be exploration, hunting for resources and primarily heat, whenever I was out in the nature that was the most pressing matter. get enough wood to have a fire all night but in this game even that is ridiculous, chopping a piece of wood with an axe takes hours and you cant even drag it close to the fire :D:D:D really? Hunting also should be much more challenging, having less animal and running further away on an unsuccessful attempt or straight away hiding, for now its just ridiculously simple. go there, shoot miss wait while calms down rinse and repeat...

The availability of sticks is also something that can be set ranging from low to high in custom mode.  If you feel that chopping a log takes too long, increase the availability of sticks and use only those on your fires.  I sincerely doubt that, IRL, you're going to drag a 100-200 lb tree to your fire in deep snow and freezing cold so you can chop it up.  Realistically, you'd find something smaller, so making fires out of sticks only replicates that scenario.  IRL, little sticks don't burn for 10 whole minutes either.  If you just size things up in your mind a bit, the game makes logical sense - Just call the current sticks you just pick up branches, the branches that take 10 minutes to break down by hand limbs, and the current limbs large limbs or even small fallen trees.  Sure, if you take the time to chop up a large limb, you would get more wood IRL, but the game has adjusted those amounts downward just the same as they've adjusted carcass dressed weight downward.

If your reason for going outdoors is truly exploration, then just don't hunt so much while you're exploring and, as was suggested, set both animal spawns to low and your calorie usage also to low.  If you want to make hunting easier to you are swimming in food, then set deer and moose spawns to high and you'll have soon have more meat in your larder than you'll know what to do with.  You can always pretend that each 1 kg steak is only 1/4 of that size so eating so much doesn't offend your IRL sensibilities.  What's nice about this game is that you do have the ability to balance the game mechanics as you wish without mods (more than any other game I've played).  Part of what enables this adjustment range by the player is that the weights and sizes of things are not necessarily realistic.  Sure, refinements are still likely in the works, but I applaud the devs for what they've accomplished so far.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The availability of sticks is also something that can be set ranging from low to high in custom mode.  If you feel that chopping a log takes too long, increase the availability of sticks and use only those on your fires.  I sincerely doubt that, IRL, you're going to drag a 100-200 lb tree to your fire in deep snow and freezing cold so you can chop it up.  Realistically, you'd find something smaller, so making fires out of sticks only replicates that scenario.  IRL, little sticks don't burn for 10 whole minutes either.  If you just size things up in your mind a bit, the game makes logical sense - Just call the current sticks you just pick up branches, the branches that take 10 minutes to break down by hand limbs, and the current limbs large limbs or even small fallen trees.  Sure, if you take the time to chop up a large limb, you would get more wood IRL, but the game has adjusted those amounts downward just the same as they've adjusted carcass dressed weight downward.

If your reason for going outdoors is truly exploration, then just don't hunt so much while you're exploring and, as was suggested, set both animal spawns to low and your calorie usage also to low.  If you want to make hunting easier to you are swimming in food, then set deer and moose spawns to high and you'll have soon have more meat in your larder than you'll know what to do with.  You can always pretend that each 1 kg steak is only 1/4 of that size so eating so much doesn't offend your IRL sensibilities.  What's nice about this game is that you do have the ability to balance the game mechanics as you wish without mods (more than any other game I've played).  Part of what enables this adjustment range by the player is that the weights and sizes of things are not necessarily realistic.  Sure, refinements are still likely in the works, but I applaud the devs for what they've accomplished so far.

did you ever make an outdoor fire from sticks? sticks that you can just pick up and throw on the fire WILL burn for hours for you, branches that you can break down by hand can be broken down in seconds, especially small ones that only gives you 3 sticks and limbs that gives you wood like in the game can be cut up with an axe in 10-15 min, the difference is that in real life you dont just throw it all in the stove, you need to feed the fire. if it would work like this, true, the collecting wood would be less challenging but keeping the fire alive and a house warm would be a bigger challenge, especially if you could freeze in the house. this would give more reasons to go out but each run would be more doable, instead of going out to get a single limb but freezing to death while you cut it up :D dragging it closer to the fire would also make it more interesting. back in the old time somebody noted that collecting sticks in the arms could also be done and that would again be more interesting than just handling it as an item in your pocket. but i see you dont understand the topic itself. its not about the game being hard, its about being illogical...

2 hours ago, DarKube said:

One thing : this is a game, I’m annoyed by all the people who say: "This is illogical!" and "this is unreal!" !

two thing : that's all for the game balance ! If in TLD, 3kg of fish give you 4000 calories like the real life, in a single day (let’s say you fish 3 fish) you have 12 000 calories !

That's why...

one thing: nobody cares what annoys you :D you dont have to answer, hell, dont even have to read
two thing: so what? ahh,because the game lack of mechanisms eg there isnt really anything else to do but fishing hunting then it has to be made ridiculous enough to keep you fishing and hunting :D ok, I see now... instead hunting could be made lasting for days living on the 12k calories you fished for those days, but of course its simpler just to put 3 deers in front of you who wont even run away and to balance the abundance out lets make the player eat them in 2 days :D cool balance...

25 minutes ago, vargata said:

did you ever make an outdoor fire from sticks? sticks that you can just pick up and throw on the fire WILL burn for hours for you, branches that you can break down by hand can be broken down in seconds, especially small ones that only gives you 3 sticks and limbs that gives you wood like in the game can be cut up with an axe in 10-15 min, the difference is that in real life you dont just throw it all in the stove, you need to feed the fire. if it would work like this, true, the collecting wood would be less challenging but keeping the fire alive and a house warm would be a bigger challenge, especially if you could freeze in the house. this would give more reasons to go out but each run would be more doable, instead of going out to get a single limb but freezing to death while you cut it up :D dragging it closer to the fire would also make it more interesting. back in the old time somebody noted that collecting sticks in the arms could also be done and that would again be more interesting than just handling it as an item in your pocket. but i see you dont understand the topic itself. its not about the game being hard, its about being illogical...

I grew up camping and trail riding in the mountains between Alberta and BC and have made many campfires from sticks there.  The soft woods you normally collect there burn very rapidly and the little sticks you just pick up do not last "for hours" each stick.  You are lucky if individual sticks give you a few minutes of fire... and certainly not a fire hot enough to cook on.  You would simply not dray a large tree to a fire through snow to chop it up... my ancestors uses horses to do that job and in the snow it was often all the team could do to get the thing moving at all.  You see, they freeze into the snow and are essentially immovable.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I grew up camping and trail riding in the mountains between Alberta and BC and have made many campfires from sticks there.  The soft woods you normally collect there burn very rapidly and the little sticks you just pick up do not last "for hours" each stick.  You are lucky if individual sticks give you a few minutes of fire... and certainly not a fire hot enough to cook on.  You would simply not dray a large tree to a fire through snow to chop it up... my ancestors uses horses to do that job and in the snow it was often all the team could do to get the thing moving at all.  You see, they freeze into the snow and are essentially immovable.

who burns individual sticks? you make a campfire from them and they can last many hours, i mean the sticks you collect simply by picking them up and yes, i did drag many big branches to the fire, not complete trees but in the game you dont touch the cut down trees either, those are limbs that you can easily drag to the fire, also the branches...

46 minutes ago, vargata said:

who burns individual sticks? you make a campfire from them and they can last many hours, i mean the sticks you collect simply by picking them up and yes, i did drag many big branches to the fire, not complete trees but in the game you dont touch the cut down trees either, those are limbs that you can easily drag to the fire, also the branches...

The game mechanic allows you to start a fire with an individual stick and that fire will last about 10 minutes.  IRL, you would probably start the fire with half a dozen and tinder and feed a few sticks onto the fire at frequent intervals to keep it going longer.  If you didn't feed it additional fuel, however, it would (with the soft woods you collect in the BC Rockies) only last a few minutes and never reach a high enough temperature to cook.  Fallen limbs can range in size and easily weigh 100 to 200 pounds.  Frozen in place, you would never drag them anywhere yourself.  Even a 50 lb limb for Astrid would be an nearly impossible drag through snow and not unreasonable to think it would take her an hour to break it up with a little camp hatchet (not an axe or a log splitter).

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that what you're sizing a limbs in your mind are labeled as branches in the game and the sticks you're collecting are of a largish variety, not the little ones I used to collect from the forest floor as a child to feed into our camp fires.

If you want realism, then also you'd only ever play on Pilgrim.  In all the time I've spent in the Canadian wilderness, I've only ever seen two wolves and both ran rather than attack me.  In the far north, my son was in a camp where there was a pack of wolves moving about the outskirts of their camp in a threatening manner, but they also never attacked (having never spotted a weak individual apart from the group that they would feel comfortable taking out)  In our area, coyotes are far more common, but are generally only a danger to small dogs (when people are foolish enough to have them in their party).  I've seen several black bears (treed one or two from horseback)  and a few grizzlies and never been mauled by a single one.  Moose can be dangerous if a person gets close enough to cause them to feel threatened, but generally mind there own business otherwise.  Healthy wildlife simply don't stalk and attack people normally.  (PS.  I don't hunt - I've never even owned a gun... and even without one, I've felt perfectly safe camping for my entire life.)

Edited by UpUpAway95

TLD, like all video games, and art, does not adhere to an accurate portrayal of physics in order to grant the player another experience, which resembles reality, but empathizes and diminishes certain aspects to make it enjoyable.  It isn't illogical for a stick to burn for 8mins, it just might not be accurate.  It would be illogical if burning a stick for 8mins produced rifle cartridges.

Also, as a marathon runner, I call tell you that after sleeping for 10hrs, waking at 5:30am and running in 0C for 2hrs, I go home and sleep for 3hrs because I am exhausted.

However, if you favor more accuracy, I suggest you download Real Life 1.0, with the Yukon DLC.  Enjoy!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The game mechanic allows you to start a fire with an individual stick and that fire will last about 10 minutes. What is pretty sad, it shouldnt  IRL, you would probably start the fire with half a dozen and tinder and feed a few sticks onto the fire at frequent intervals to keep it going longer.  If you didn't feed it additional fuel, however, it would (with the soft woods you collect in the BC Rockies) only last a few minutes and never reach a high enough temperature to cook.  Fallen limbs can range in size and easily weigh 100 to 200 pounds.  Frozen in place, you would never drag them anywhere yourself.  Even a 50 lb limb for Astrid would be an nearly impossible drag through snow If she is 5 years old then yes, a 50 lb limb wouldnt even be heavy to my "Astrid" to pick up and carry in hand, she could drag a 200lb one in snow. heavy but not impossible and better to work on it by the fire than freezing dead 20 meters from the fire. dont even mention you should be able to stop doing it at any time and not unreasonable to think it would take her an hour to break it up with a little camp hatchet (not an axe or a log splitter). it very much is

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that what you're sizing a limbs in your mind are labeled as branches in the game and the sticks you're collecting are of a largish variety, not the little ones I used to collect from the forest floor as a child to feed into our camp fires.

If you want realism, then also you'd only ever play on Pilgrim.  In all the time I've spent in the Canadian wilderness, I've only ever seen two wolves and both ran rather than attack me.  In the far north, my son was in a camp where there was a pack of wolves moving about the outskirts of their camp in a threatening manner, but they also never attacked (having never spotted a weak individual apart from the group that they would feel comfortable taking out)  In our area, coyotes are far more common, but are generally only a danger to small dogs (when people are foolish enough to have them in their party).  I've seen several black bears (treed one or two from horseback)  and a few grizzlies and never been mauled by a single one.  Moose can be dangerous if a person gets close enough to cause them to feel threatened, but generally mind there own business otherwise.  Healthy wildlife simply don't stalk and attack people normally.  (PS.  I don't hunt - I've never even owned a gun... and even without one, I've felt perfectly safe camping for my entire life.) true in normal situation when food is abundant, not at all true when its scarce. wolves will happily attack you if there is no others stuff available and the game is all about an event when wildlife is acting up.

2 minutes ago, vargata said:

true in normal situation when food is abundant, not at all true when its scarce. wolves will happily attack you if there is no others stuff available and the game is all about an event when wildlife is acting up.

Then, if you want realism, you'd have to remove all those rabbits from the game because I'm quite certain the wolves in the game are quite well fed.  In addition, the place where my son was encamped was on an island in the far north of Canada (neighboring landmass belongs to Russia).  Food was most likely not abundant and the reason why the wolves were encircling the camp.  Even in that extreme circumstance, no wolves attacked the camp... no wolves had to be shot to protect the work party.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NardoLoopa said:

TLD, like all video games, and art, does not adhere to an accurate portrayal of physics in order to grant the player another experience, which resembles reality, but empathizes and diminishes certain aspects to make it enjoyable.  It isn't illogical for a stick to burn for 8mins, it just might not be accurate.  It would be illogical if burning a stick for 8mins produced rifle cartridges.

Also, as a marathon runner, I call tell you that after sleeping for 10hrs, waking at 5:30am and running in 0C for 2hrs, I go home and sleep for 3hrs because I am exhausted.

However, if you favor more accuracy, I suggest you download Real Life 1.0, with the Yukon DLC.  Enjoy!

As a bowhunter i used to run and walk in minuses all day long, never had to sleep after 2 hours. maybe do something your body is up to, like doing pedicure for puppies :D nobody wants things to be entirely accurate in a game just be more logical than this made up mess. btw, i have rl 2.0 with Transylvania DLC. plenty of mountains snow and wildlife with deers bears wolves and wild boars to have fun with

1 minute ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Then, if you want realism, you'd have to remove all those rabbits from the game because I'm quite certain the wolves in the game are quite well fed.  In addition, the place where my son was encamped was on an island in the far north of Canada (neighboring landmass belongs to Russia).  Food was most likely not abundant and the reason why the wolves were encircling the camp.  Even in that extreme circumstance, no wolves attacked the camp... no wolves had to be shot to protect the work party.

yes, they are not stupid, but if he was alone, it could end pretty differently... in Transylvania the govt ordered shooting hundreds of wolves and bears as they were attacking the villages and the villagers.

The "illogical mechanisms" are there to create a balance for game play.  In a real survival situation, your main challenges will be food, clothing and shelter.  In TLD, your main challenges are food, clothing and shelter/warmth.  In both circumstances, once those are solved or in a maintenance state, the challenge becomes finding a balance between routine and variety that keeps you engaged and not making dumb mistakes. 

If you are unable to get past the numerical values that TLD has chosen to reach a point where you are enjoying the experience, then I would suggest moving on.  No one is obligated or expected to like every game they come across.

• Upvote 1

Ok, this is important. The game has realism in mind, but it's a GAME still. I personally would have a ridiculous amount of Fish, even on Stalker. Combined with other animals and how much food they yield, it would be WAY too easy to kill a deer and have weeks worth of food (closer to real life, but not good for gameplay). Having more realism is great, but when one rifle cartridge/ arrow gives you weeks of no worries for food, it would make the game (even on iterloper) extremely stress free and frankly, not challenging enough.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, vargata said:

yes, they are not stupid, but if he was alone, it could end pretty differently... in Transylvania the govt ordered shooting hundreds of wolves and bears as they were attacking the villages and the villagers.

You're still cherry picking what you choose to see as illogical and what you're willing to accept for the sake of gameplay.  Wolves attacking the player at every moment he/she steps outside a door in the game is every bit as illogical as a full-grown buck dressing out at only 10 kg of food and eating 2 kg of venison to fill one's food bar from a nearly empty state.  The game is situated in Canada and wolves here have historically been far more timid than they have been reported to be in Europe.  They are, in fact, rarely even seen by the hundreds of thousands of visitors that come to the National Park in the Canadian Rockies each year.

2 minutes ago, Blankshield said:

The "illogical mechanisms" are there to create a balance for game play.  In a real survival situation, your main challenges will be food, clothing and shelter.  In TLD, your main challenges are food, clothing and shelter/warmth.  In both circumstances, once those are solved or in a maintenance state, the challenge becomes finding a balance between routine and variety that keeps you engaged and not making dumb mistakes. 

If you are unable to get past the numerical values that TLD has chosen to reach a point where you are enjoying the experience, then I would suggest moving on.  No one is obligated or expected to like every game they come across.

wohooo, except the problem is exactly not with the numbers but with the challenge hinterland had failed (aka finding a balance between routine and variety) as there is no variety. btw in real life main challenge would be heat (assuming you didnt get there naked) which you can either generate yourself with exercise or with fire. food is pretty secondary as long as there are trees and knowledge you can survive even if you need to eat the trees themselves, also you can survive 4-5 days with barely any nutrition and can eat snow to stay hydrated and after starving 3 days you still only need one meal, you CANT eat more as your belly wont allow it. compared to this in the game its exactly the opposite, as long as you have a house around, your only worry is food, you only need to make fire to cook. btw, the game is also lacking in mechanisms to make fire without tools which is pretty silly. its the knowledge that made humans more than animals

"then I would suggest moving on" thats what I did, deleted the game and prepared my bows to go out as soon as i will have a free day, though if you give this advice to every potential customer of hinterland they wont be happy with your forum behaviour :D