Add new skills : Medicine, Crafting and Forging

DarKube

I'm really surprised that there is no crafting, medicine skill and forge secondary skill in the game. Therefore I suggest them :

Medicine Skill:

Level

Skill points Effects

- Basic medicine skill

2 20

- 10% decrease of the natural first aid crafting time

3 50

- 20% decrease of the natural first aid crafting time
- 20% increase of the natural first aid efficiency

4 150

- 25% decrease of the natural first aid crafting time
- 40% increase of the natural first aid efficiency
- Can craft prepared rose hips with only 16 rose hips
- Can do an awkward "emergency bleeding control" (with hands, you can reduce of 30% a bleeding)
  but it prevents any actions using the hands (breaking down, handle a weapon, craft, forge...)

5 250

- 30% decrease of the natural first aid crafting time
- 60% increase of the natural first aid efficiency
- Can craft prepared rose hips with only 16 rose hips
- Can craft prepared reishi mushrooms with only 2 mushrooms
- Can craft old man's beard wound dressing with only 1 old man's beard
- Can do an "emergency bleeding control" (with hands, you can reduce of 60% a bleeding)
  but it prevents any actions using the hands (breaking down, handle a weapon, craft, forge...)

medicinalplantsbook.png

You can increase your medicine skill points with this book, 10h of searching for 10 competence points. Craft first aid increase your medicine skill points by 1 and heal an injury with natural first aid increase by 2 points.

Medicine Skill:

Level

Skill points Effects

- Basic crafting skill

2 10

- 10% decrease of the crafting time

3 40

- 15% decrease of the crafting time
- 20% decrease of the per-use condition lost of the tool
- For all crafted items, a condition bonus of 5%

4 75

- 25% decrease of the crafting time
- 30% decrease of the per-use condition lost of the tool
- For all crafted items, a condition bonus of 10%

5 150

- 30% decrease of the crafting time
- 40% decrease of the per-use condition lost of the tool
- For all crafted items, a condition bonus of 15%
- Can craft all items require a crafting table without it but that increase the crafting time of 50%

1 craft hours increase your crafting competence points by 1 point. You can increase your medicine skill points with the book "Crafting Base", 10h of searching for 5 competence points.

Workbench_icon.png

I like the idea of more skills, but one problem is that medicine is already 100% effective. Bandages, painkillers, reishi tea never fail. To implement the medicine skill as seen above would require nerfing medicine so that it doesn't always work, and I can't see a lot of folks getting behind that.

As to crafting/forging, I do love the idea of giving it its own skill, but perhaps "Maintenance" would be a better option. This would roll sharpening, firearm cleaning, and repair into one skill instead of them being their own thing. I do like the idea of being able to over-repair items at higher levels.

I like your ideas, but there is an issue (I think) with some of them.

It would not make much sense that you can use less of a herb or plant to heal yourself just as efficiently. The reason the Rose Hip tea needs 24 of them is because the DOSAGE needed to heal you is that much. Same logic for Reishi mushrooms and Old Man's Beard Lichen. 

You could, in theory, combine the two skill trees (Crafting and Medicine) under a General Crafting Skill tree, which could function like this:

Level

Skill points Effects

- Basic crafting skill

2 10

- 5% decrease of the crafting time

3 40

- 10% decrease of the crafting time
                                               - 10% decrease in condition loss of the crafting tool                            

4 80

- 20% decrease of the crafting time
                                                - 25% decrease in condition loss of the crafting tool
                                                - For all crafted items, a  condition bonus of 5%

5 150

- 40% decrease of the crafting time
                                                 - 35% decrease in condition loss of the crafting tool
                                                 - For all crafted items, a condition bonus of 15%
                                                 - Can craft Snares and arrows / arrow shafts without a workbench

A couple of notes for the above:

1) I changed some of your text. My edits are in RED.

2) As you can see, crafting medicinal items benefit from this tree, since you can craft them faster. Great for when you NEED to craft a bandage or old man's beard dressing quickly so you don't bleed out/get infected. I actually CAN'T think of anything else, since medicinal items are very straighforward in their use and function.

3) "Crafting tool" refers to whatever tool you have to use to craft an item. The list includes:

• Hunting knife / Improvised Knife
  • Hatchet / Improvised Hatchet
  • Sewing Kit/ Fishing Tackle
  • Simple Tools / Quality tools

4) I changed the final skill for the last skill level. Crafting everything anywhere is too powerful , even with a time penalty. Instead, you can craft arrows and snares anywhere since they are both your ammunition (snares in a more loose sense of the term) and therefore VERY handy to craft wherever you are.

As for the Forge, I think you SHOULDN'T add skill levels. It's already powerful as it is, making the player forge weapons faster/ with less resources would make the game too easy in the end.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (Edit) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

Maintenance Skill: Combines Sharpening and Rifle Cleaning Skill (and Repair Skill? maybe later in another edit, it's kinda different)

Level           Skill Points                    Effects

1                      0                                Time to sharpen/clean: 12 minutes , Condition improvement: 3%    Chance of success: 100%    

2                     10                               Time to sharpen/clean: 11 minutes , Condition improvement: 4%    Chance of success: 100%

3                     30                               Time to sharpen/clean: 8 minutes , Condition improvement: 4%    Chance of success: 100%

4                     60                               Time to sharpen/clean: 6 minutes , Condition improvement: 5%   Chance of success: 100%

5                    100                              Time to sharpen/clean: 5 minutes , Condition improvement: 6%   Chance of success: 100%

This combines the modern skill levelling system with the old school skill level. 1 skill point is gained for 1 sharpening/cleaning action. I had to space the requirements out a bit more near the final level, so the greatest condition improvement value is 6 which is higher than the in-game counterpart (5)

1 hour ago, Willy Pete said:

I like the idea of more skills, but one problem is that medicine is already 100% effective. Bandages, painkillers, reishi tea never fail. To implement the medicine skill as seen above would require nerfing medicine so that it doesn't always work, and I can't see a lot of folks getting behind that.

As to crafting/forging, I do love the idea of giving it its own skill, but perhaps "Maintenance" would be a better option. This would roll sharpening, firearm cleaning, and repair into one skill instead of them being their own thing. I do like the idea of being able to over-repair items at higher levels.

I agree with you very much. Medicine CANNOT be nerfed or else the entire balance of the game changes, and not for the better. But I have used the OP's ideas to combine crafting+medicine skills , check my other response in the thread if you like :D

As for the Maintenance skill, that's a cool concept. It would make the game simpler in that sense. I will add it to my original response.

_ _ _

I added your idea to my first response. It would be a cool concept to bring the old skill system into the new one. :coffee: 

12 hours ago, DarKube said:

I completely agree to you say. When I posted this topic, I was sure there would be a lot of change in what I proposed. Thank for your greats ameliorations ideas !:)

Thank YOU for inspiring me to be a little more creative , mon ami ^_^ (That's all the French I know, besides bonjour , merci, and merde )

I like the idea of expanding the skill tree, Raphael himself alluded to have had discussions about this very topic with the dev team. This might very well be in the works in some form. 

As it pertains to @DarKube original post, I'd say the proposed skills would surely enrich gameplay. Forging and Crafting skills would be phenomenal additions to the game and have vast potential to improve the gameplay experience. I'm all in for this, though thefistoffury presented some good arguments against a medicine skill, I think foraging would be a more logical skill in the game's context, since you could get more yield from harvesting wild plants, mushrooms and whatnot and still reduce the preparing of any of these items, including old man's beard dressings, prepared rosehips and that kinda stuff. That said, the survivor improving his first aid abilities to a degree does make a lot of sense. 

On 22/1/2019 at 12:49 AM, Dan_ said:

I like the idea of expanding the skill tree, Raphael himself alluded to have had discussions about this very topic with the dev team. This might very well be in the works in some form. 

As it pertains to @DarKube original post, I'd say the proposed skills would surely enrich gameplay. Forging and Crafting skills would be phenomenal additions to the game and have vast potential to improve the gameplay experience. I'm all in for this, though thefistoffury presented some good arguments against a medicine skill, I think foraging would be a more logical skill in the game's context, since you could get more yield from harvesting wild plants, mushrooms and whatnot and still reduce the preparing of any of these items, including old man's beard dressings, prepared rosehips and that kinda stuff. That said, the survivor improving his first aid abilities to a degree does make a lot of sense. 

Oh yes, foraging skills make sense and would be a way to improve all medicine-related gameplay in the long run. Especially in harder difficulties, where resources are more scarce, but harvestable plants still spawn in the world.

Archived