Astrid's Case

MueckE

I just remembered the first scene in the hanga and it came to my mind, what happens when you leave the misterious case behind? You can chose to put 3 of 5 things in the box, what if you leave the case and her backpack behind and instead take the pistol, medicine and food with you?

Did anyone try?

I remember taking everything, if you leave firewood and water behind you can take all boxes. Not that it matters, I've never found that flare gun. It's probably meant to be a tutorial about weight management.

Maybe the game won't let you leave without the case.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 3:33 AM, Doc Feral said:

Not that it matters, I've never found that flare gun. It's probably meant to be a tutorial about weight management.

I choose the flare gun and was able to retrieve it. By going to the compartment where it was stored at the crash site once you have climb out of the where you fell. The compartment is on the back, left side I believe, of the plane near the tail. It made Milton a heck of a lot easier with the flare the second time I played the story after the REDUX.

• 3 years later...
On 2/15/2019 at 11:40 PM, XaldinVii said:

I choose the flare gun and was able to retrieve it. By going to the compartment where it was stored at the crash site once you have climb out of the where you fell. The compartment is on the back, left side I believe, of the plane near the tail. It made Milton a heck of a lot easier with the flare the second time I played the story after the REDUX.

Can you still actually do that??   I've never actually looked at the plane itself . 

26 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Can you still actually do that??   I've never actually looked at the plane itself . 

Do you mean can you still choose a starting buff? If so, yes, you must grab Astrid's Pack and Hardcase (10kg combined), and you can choose one of the three 5kg starting buffs. Distress Pistol, Rations, or Medical. Or nothing at all...

I personally think Hardened Survivor and a no-buff start is the way to go for a new Story Mode game. You get that "am I gonna make it" tension early on, but towards the end of Episode 1 assuming you complete all the side missions, you end up just as well off as you otherwise would have regardless of which buff you chose.

Just now, ajb1978 said:

Do you mean can you still choose a starting buff? If so, yes, you must grab Astrid's Pack and Hardcase (10kg combined), and you can choose one of the three 5kg starting buffs. Distress Pistol, Rations, or Medical. Or nothing at all...

I personally think Hardened Survivor and a no-buff start is the way to go for a new Story Mode game. You get that "am I gonna make it" tension early on, but towards the end of Episode 1 assuming you complete all the side missions, you end up just as well off as you otherwise would have regardless of which buff you chose.

Thanks! It's been a few years since I played episode one, I know you have to take Astrid's things but don't remember getting a choice with the rest.  

I did also mean can you get into the plane itself after it's crashed?  

Just now, ajb1978 said:

Oh! Nope, unfortunately Will's first love is dead and in a million pieces. No going back.

I know it's pretty wrecked but some of it's still intact, would've been a nice little hidey hole for loot in survival mode.

Just now, ajb1978 said:

Or siphon off the leftover aviation fuel!

I was thinking that.  If that was possible it'd be more incentive to go up there.   Can you imagine how much you'd get from the pv plane though?  

On a side note.. where's all the parachutes?  So much cloth would last quite a while. 

5 hours ago, Leeanda said:

On a side note.. where's all the parachutes?  So much cloth would last quite a while. 

Commercial passenger jets don't have them. Parachuting requires a boatload of training, and realistically, there's no way to ensure that passengers on a jetliner have that training. So, the general rule is...don't crash lol

• Upvote 1

Never thought of that🙂. That's what happens when I try to think very late at night!😁   Would've thought wills plane might've had one though.  

I did also wonder if there would've been anything else useful from them ,there must be more modern tech on board?  . Could anything be used to  upgrade/boost the radios etc? 

Guest jeffpeng
On 6/28/2022 at 7:12 AM, ajb1978 said:

Commercial passenger jets don't have them. Parachuting requires a boatload of training, and realistically, there's no way to ensure that passengers on a jetliner have that training. So, the general rule is...don't crash lol

In fact there is a much higher chance that the pilot will "land" the plane somewhat acceptable and have a large portion of people survive the initial crash than having 300 panicked and untrained people dropped over several square miles, half of which will have messed up the parachute (as you point out), and the other half will get themselves mostly killed due to various other reasons (drowning, freezing, dehydration, hugging the local fauna) before any help can find them. People traveling in airliners have a peculiar tendency to be especially bad adapted to anything not resembling "civilization". So, if you think about it that way: game-theory-wise having all people in one place to rescue them has the highest probable outcome even if you expect at least half of aircraft attempting emergency landing to be completely destroyed on impact.

Edited by jeffpeng