Interloper / Loot Runs

Ahatch

I've switched from a Voyageur player to an Interloper player and I find due to the cold even with decent cloths I find I can't venture too far before taking a hit to my condition and the calorie use also means I have to pack food with me in order to retain the well fed bonus (plus 5 carrying capacity). Finding it really tough right now as I'm holed up at the Carter Hydro Dam. I'm at 20 matches so I am finding I try to light fires with the magnifying glass every chance I get just to boil water and save my matches for when I have a kill. At some point though I will have to make a longer trek in the direction of Forlorn Muskeg as I have looted PV , CH, and DP and the main stops here on Mystery Lake except the small cabins by the lake and one by unnamed pond. What is everyone's strategy when do you decide it is time to switch bases or do you wait until you have no choice. 

12 hours ago, Ahatch said:

I've switched from a Voyageur player to an Interloper player

Interloper is a lot different, (not so much more difficult), and a lot of fun.
You seem to be doing well on your own by covering 4 regions of the map.

Seasoned Interloper players often speak of their modified game play in terms like, move fast, clothes are meaningless, expect to take some loss due to time in the cold, and always keep moving in the early game.

My game style is far less seasoned, a little slower, and strives for less risk, (Interloper wolves bite harder). However, it is nice having fewer wolves, it is nice NOT trying to be perfect and EXPECTING some condition loss each day. Also, begin learning to pickup any sticks in the path of your travels.
Food can be a real challenge and the well-fed buff my be a luxury in early game as looted food will not be enough in the beginning. Also, calories tend to dictate when you may sleep, the fact that it is dark means nothing if your sleeping on an empty stomach.

Once there are saplings and hides and guts curing, that location becomes a sub-basecamp or outpost and it is noted in the games journal including an inventory  of items left behind. If there is a day or two of food, that in part sets the distance away from base you may travel/risk...and soon a network of outposts are created with some supplies stored at each...always travel light and fast. If you must base somewhere while preparing for your next mission/objective, it is a good practice to run a line of rabbit snares, (4 snares is nice), and check them each time the weather allows.

When conditions allows for crafting animal hide clothes and a bow...the game will change, as food will be less limiting and cold more tolerable.

This is not much help but it shows that you are figuring it out by yourself anyway.
Good luck my friend. :coffee: 

Get your condition up and then burn it on a longer walk. Depending on the route you can also warm up along the way and if it's just by passing time in a bed.

Also get crafted clothing. Interloper is the only mode where you actually need to craft stuff. You can start collecting deer hides and bunny skins early on. Then make the mittens, deer boots and deer pants. And after you have the bow you need to make two wolf skin coats. With that it's not so horrible in the later afternoon. Even at day 80 you can be at only 1 or 2 arrow down later in the day. Mornings are bitterly cold though

With the moose hide satchel I'm not worried about being well fed all the time.

The best loot area is still TWM in short time you can have all the gear you will need.  No need to lug along a hacksaw because you more than likely find one at the summit.  The only issue is do not wait too long to take on TWM as the weather is getting worse everyday.  Crossing Pleasant Valley is brutal when the weather is against you.  Try to get to TWM in the first week.  Bring coal from Misty cave to use to keep the mountaineers hut warm overnight. 

There is at least two strategies for ascending the mountain without bedroll.  The first is bring cloth to make snonw shelter or second, my favorite, goat it.  If you have made it to the summit then along with a full medical kit and full toolbox you will be clothed, armed and dangerous.  The rest is gravy once you make it to a forge.

• 2 weeks later...

I have played it really safe on this run and I finally have a good run going and don't want to mess it up. I'm still at the Hydro Dam and down to 14 matches at 145 days. I have been continuing my strategy of waiting for a sunny day to spend cooking and boiling water. I have been using the cave on the Ravine to save myself from getting cabin fever as it's a short safe walk from the dam. I have all the cloths now and the bearskin bedroll so I am going to stick it out here until the matches get real low then I will make my way to Forlorn Muskeg to look for some more matches. I have also not completely looted PV as I was only there for 4 days so it's possible there are some matches there as I only done the farmhouse, signal tower, barn and rural crossroads before going to Coastal Highway. And yes I could go to Timberwolf mountain as well and hit the cave near the rope climb there could be matches there. 

Archived