Compass

BosseJr

I think that adding a compass to the game would improve navigation a lot, i think it should be a pretty rare spawn, such as firestriker or rifle.

I saw this(picture) on the steam forums but a compass would make life easier and more fun to navigate

Please comment to make improvements.

compass.jpg

This is a great idea and ties in to the self guided navigation ideas in TLD big time.  As you would need light to see the compass face and it would not be like a mini map at all.  This compass idea and the 1st person view of it was implemented nicely in Sea of Thieves to preform player and ship navigation. 

However, I do agree with DerpyLemon115 though that the Geo event would render it useless.  

How useful the compass is ultimately boils down to how the Geomagnetic anomaly works. If it's an ever-present mess whether the Aurora is active or not, then a compass would be rendered useless, spinning this way and that as the anomaly worked its magic.

If, on the other hand, the Geomagnetism is only active during Aurora events then a compass would probably work unless the Aurora was active. I touched on this when I made a post on the Compass.  

I've never tested it, but I've heard that if you drop linear items like sticks and arrows they always fall with the same orientation.  An imaginative player could easily use this behavior as a compass.   (Sorry, I didn't really examine the picture before posting.)

I've also notices that many caves and pathways to them have Old Man's Beard Lichen near the entrance or pathway towards them.  Climbing rocks are often marked with Rose Hips (like the ones at the beginning of Wintermute).

Archived