A companion with fur?

alonesurvivor

Hello survivors,
I have been walking around here for over 140 days. And sometimes I wonder how it would be with a companion. A friend who is always at your side. Someone to take care of. The best friend of a human is the dog, so why not a dog in the game?
It's a big wish, I know, but how cool would that be? You have to win his trust. You have to feed him and make sure he has everything he needs. Have a feeding bowl with you. A husky, maybe? He is used to the cold. And maybe you can make a small sled that he can pull to carry you or your luggage. A friend who protects you. A friend you protect. I think that would be super cool because you don't feel so lonely anymore. What do you think about that? There is dog food in the game, so why not?

siberian-huskies-in-snow-lee-ann-shepard.jpg

From my experience, having a dog walking off-leash in bear and wolf country can be a really bad idea.  Some dogs can tend to follow their nose and get too close before turning tail and running straight back to their owners for safety with said bear or wolf chasing them.  That said, I think it would be really cool to have a canine companion.  I don't really see it being added, at least to survival mode, since it wouldn't be a simple addition at this point.  For example, it would require a lot of new dialogue and other interaction mechanics.

Maybe you're right. I only play in Pilgrim mode and in this mode a companion would be pretty cool. The animals don't attack, as long as you don't provoke them, right? That companion would mean a lot of work for the game, but who knows what will happen in the future? I definitely dream about my husky, haha. 

13 minutes ago, alonesurvivor said:

That companion would mean a lot of work for the game, but who knows what will happen in the future? I definitely dream about my husky, haha. 

Welcome to the forum @alonesurvivor.
This is a great idea that has been discussed here by many.
If you don't mind me saying my friend; don't give up on the idea, it might add so much to the long game.
Maybe there is a solution along the lines of an at basecamp companion who is in "sleep-mode" while traveling.
This idea could be a nice addition if it could be made to fit the theme of TLD. :coffee:

52 minutes ago, alonesurvivor said:

Maybe you're right. I only play in Pilgrim mode and in this mode a companion would be pretty cool. The animals don't attack, as long as you don't provoke them, right? That companion would mean a lot of work for the game, but who knows what will happen in the future? I definitely dream about my husky, haha. 

If they do put a husky companion into the game, I can also anticipate a flood of  the requests for sleds and entire dog teams.

6 hours ago, s7mar7in said:

Welcome to the forum @alonesurvivor.
This is a great idea that has been discussed here by many.
If you don't mind me saying my friend; don't give up on the idea, it might add so much to the long game.
Maybe there is a solution along the lines of an at basecamp companion who is in "sleep-mode" while traveling.
This idea could be a nice addition if it could be made to fit the theme of TLD. :coffee:

Thanks for the welcome my friend. Great that you like the idea. I’m looking forward to the future of this amazing game. And maybe we’ll get our companion. :)

16 minutes ago, alonesurvivor said:

EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO SEE RIGHT NOW.

This was only a couple days ago at Carter Hydro, and my character had 1 or 2 scent bars from carrying a deer steak.
The wolf was able to harmlessly jump into the railroad maintenance truck and then turn and exit again.
You could start a throw-away game in ML and see if she will still play in the truck. :coffee:

Archived