Sprinting and heat

Asinine

So, whilst I currently live in the gloriously warm southern US, I have lived in more Canadian-like regions. And, I used to run in those colder areas, which makes me suggest options for sprinting in-game. I have gone out running at -10°C and probably lower, and have had to shed clothing because I got too hot. Granted, I'm sure I have better running gear than options in-game, but I would like to suggest a possibility of slight negation of chill factor while sprinting. I have seen other suggestions regarding sprinting that would include sprained ankles and whatnot, which would totally be a legitimate additional "feature" of sprinting with all the heavy gear on (okay, except maybe ski boots, because... if you can sprain your ankle in those, you deserve a medal).
I'm not sure how the mechanics work code-wise, but I think shaving off half of the little down arrows would be a good compensation. Adding the sprained-ankle option, or a falling option to sprain a wrist (the latter I'd think would require a bit too much code to write) would be a risk I'd be willing to take.

Just my two cents. But no one will pick up two pennies on the ground these days... :D

10 hours ago, Asinine said:

I have gone out running at -10°C and probably lower

The game already has a 1 degree Celsius boost after running in a wind less environment.  The boost last a short time and determined by how long you exercise.

The main problem is moisture.  Exercise brings along heat and sweat.  The game should reflect this by wetting the inner layer and make us think about proper clothing layering.  Unzipping the jacket to vent is a method to regulate moisture and already in the game you can sometimes here a zipper zound when the wind picks up but currently this has no impact on the 'feels like' temperature or moisture. 

With the Outfitter patch outer layer clothing can could get wet from snow storms.  This characteristic could be transferred so that our body moisture makes our inner layer wet when we exercise.  The clothing choice will then become much more important and carrying spare clothes might be a necessity.  Wool clothing is a better choice because the moisture is wicked away as compared to cotton which retains water.  The Windbreaker should be the worst at letting moisture escape and the Mariners Pea Coat a better choice.

P.S.

The cold Canadian prairie was the learning grounds for myself.  The climate taught me to never put a parka in a closet if you plan to wear it the next day.  The body moisture accumulates inside it and every time the wind blows you get chilled.  If the parka was left hanging in the open then moisture was reduced and the wind chilling impact was gone. 

I am curious about why the "windless environment" is the only +1° boost? I mean I understand the boost, but I think it could easily apply to sprinting.

If you don't unzip/de-layer, you're building up all that moisture yes... which also comes with heat... if you accomplish that much heat with all that exercise. I did not expect to reach running levels of that though with my suggestion.  I have easily done short "sprints" even in normal clothing. The worst risk was losing footing on the icy path, which I did mention. Sprinting in-game would never really reach that sweating level unless you're packing the best of gear, which then comes with so much extra weight you're not really going to be sprinting anywhere without a casualty.

That was my idea. Just add a bit of warmth for sprints. Increase chances of sprained ankles or whatnot with higher weight of clothing.

Archived