On the topic of moving large amounts of items

RiKShaw

I'm sure this has been a well discussed topic before as I did a quick search of the forums and there are a number of topics devoted to the wish that we could carry more.

Of course the carrying capacity of your character is a driving force of the game. Any more over 30 kgs and you'll suffer a penalty. Even at 30, you're already not moving as fast as someone carrying only 20kgs. And if you take so much stuff that you're "full", then you can't bring anything back. Where are you putting it?

This system works fine for scavenging and looting. As you set out you estimate how long you'll be gone and what equipment you'll need. You'll also take the risk of taking less gear for the reward of bringing more back. This system is great and is an integral part of the gameplay that it would be nice to maintain.

Where the system falls down is when you want to move large quantities of things. When you set out for the day you can get your weight down to a comfortable 20kgs or maybe even 15kgs if you skimp on "essentials". This still means that even in the best case scenario, you're only capable of bringing back 15kgs of stuff on the return trip.

The idea I present here is for some sort of sled. To make it, you would have to establish a crafting site, similar to how you currently place a fireplace. When interacting it'll act as a container, storing items inside (Only the items needed to make the sled, to prevent this being used as a portable container). Creating this will also give you some crafting schematics for a workbench. At the workbench will be a recipe for the legs and the flat, storage section. Once these are made you can put them into the sled working area. Other requirements for crafting can be scaled for balance.

When assembled, you can pull the sled by grabbing the front or push it from behind (one of these is enough if making both methods is too much work). The sled would be able to hold at least 20kgs of gear. The speed at which you move when moving the sled will be decreased and will be further decreased as weight is added to the sled. As a balancing decision, the sled will not be able to make it up all hills. Too steep and it won't move. Similarly, small gaps like a break in a fence will stop the sled. Ideally, the sled SHOULD be cumbersome and slow to use to balance how useful it is. The idea should be that while you're able to "hold" a dramatically increased amount, it should be viewed as a heavy impediment while you're using it.

I've always thought the biggest obstacle to this idea is the lack of physics to simulate fiction. Think about how you can stick to the side of a near vertical cliff. What would happen when you pull your sled to the top of a slope? What happens when you're moving on uneven or bumpy terrain? I don't think the game could cope with that in a realistic way as it currently stands. If you can only pull it on flat ground, it isn't going to be very useful. 

I would rather prefer to be able to (slowly) drag some carcasses to my base because I would not stand on top of a carcass to harvest it in the cold and then have to carry all the meat and pelts, but I would drag it close to my base and then harvest and carry the goods over.

The dragging of carcasses could be done as it is, or for increased speed it could be done with a makeshift sled - move the carcass onto a tarp that is tied with a piece of climbing rope for easier dragging.

The same way I would love to drag some of the lighter outdoor containers to set them up near the base inserted of using the ideas to craft a container. Why would you spend time on creating something that already exists nearby.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:14 AM, Mystix said:

The dragging of carcasses could be done as it is, or for increased speed it could be done with a makeshift sled - move the carcass onto a tarp that is tied with a piece of climbing rope for easier dragging.

Ha. Not related but this just reminded me about Fallout 3.  After obliterating a Mutant you could load the dead body with absolutely everything not nailed down... pick up the dismembered hand and stroll back to your base completely unencumbered.  Drop the hand on the ground and retrieve all the items from the body miles and miles away.

On 13.1.2019 at 9:14 AM, Mystix said:

I would rather prefer to be able to (slowly) drag some carcasses to my base because I would not stand on top of a carcass to harvest it in the cold and then have to carry all the meat and pelts, but I would drag it close to my base and then harvest and carry the goods over.

The same way I would love to drag some of the lighter outdoor containers to set them up near the base inserted of using the ideas to craft a container. Why would you spend time on creating something that already exists nearby.

Besides carcasses, I'd also like to move larger pieces of wood around. It makes no sense that we try to take those apart out in the open when a cave or other form of shelter is nearby. My idea on how to implement that is adding a menu option "Carry" which visually works much like how you'd place a fire; the object you're moving will automatically follow the cursor, BUT in this action the weight is added to your weight capacity. You can't do other actions without putting it down first, which means if you need to scare of wolves or something you better think about where you make your stand as you will get a penalty for fight if you're attacked while still carrying stuff. Sleds are often suggested, but haven't ever seen any moderators or devs paying attention to those.

11 hours ago, Kendov said:

Besides carcasses, I'd also like to move larger pieces of wood around. It makes no sense that we try to take those apart out in the open when a cave or other form of shelter is nearby. My idea on how to implement that is adding a menu option "Carry" which visually works much like how you'd place a fire; the object you're moving will automatically follow the cursor, BUT in this action the weight is added to your weight capacity..

Dragging branches is also a good idea. I imagined the dragging like pointing at something, holding it by holding the right button and walking in the desired direction - much like in real world you have to hold on to the thing you're dragging. This way one item at a time could be dragged (so players don't exploit this option) with one hand, so the other could be free to hold a light source. If both your wrists are sprained for example you won't be able to drag anything.

Archived