Anti-Wish List: Never, ever, ever....

Khan_Drichthyes

not sure if I should take this topic seriously... I hope I can, I dont think the wishlist is a place to post jokes around.

I am in favour of adding a common flu as a condition into the game. Given the temperatures and freezing, its unnatural that its not a part of the game already. I would like to see renevable drinks as an option to treat it, whether it is some sort of meat stew, or a tea, made of pine needles. The game could use a renewable source of re-heatable drinks, too, to make the warm core benefit more useful. And to make people re-think their approach to battling through the freezing. Naturally it would have to be balanced out to take into account harder modes.

I am having a hard time taking the other suggestions very seriously, please excuse my behaviour if it slips up. Ebola is a tropical virus, and there is just no way it would make its way to Great Bear. It may survive up there, but not in optimal conditions. Besides, it only spreads through bodily fluids, so you would need to come in contact with infected survivors, or monkey, both of which is unrealistic. People need to let go of the doomsday stuff they hear on the TV. :) Unless you go around, letting people snot at you, Ebola is really not much of your concern. Basic human contact with strangers should be enough to protect you from exposure. There are far, far more realistic, deadly conditions that can happen in the canadian setting. One that comes to mind is tuberculosis. Which makes sense weather wise, and is a serious condition created by an untreated cold. Still very deadly without antibiotics.

Eboli is a fictional virus. No idea who made up such a ridiculous concept, they are two entirely different things - Ebola is a virus, E. Coli is a bacteria. We all have E. Coli in our digestive tract, which is essential to having healthy digestive tract. It is only dangerous to people if devoured, so wash your hands after a visit to bathroom and you will be fine. And dont drink water contaminated by fecal matter, which goes without saying. Viruses prey on cells, and E. Coli is a cell. Combine the two together, you dont get Eboli, you get more viruses of Ebola. Because virus works in a way that it hacks a cell, copies its genetic information into the nucleus of a cell, and starts replicating. When it uses up all the resources, the new viruses burst out of the now dead husk of former cell, in our case, the E.Coli.

On 7. 1. 2019 at 2:28 AM, DerpyLemon115 said:

I agree, it's annoying enough having to deal with random sprains, don't need to have random colds aswell.

Its bad idea to diminish a concept based on your previous experience with something entirely different. Who said the cold would have to be random? Besides, problem with sprains is not that they are sprains, just that they dont work the way they were intended to.

@Mroz4k, we'd need other survivors in close contact to get the flu/cold, so we'd need npc survivors first before we could get it. Viruses don't survive very long outside the body. (a few minutes to only a few days. depending on the humidity, temperature, and surface it lands on.) Cold, dry weather would work in its favor by increasing air-time, but not enough to be a real threat considering population feels way low by then.

In story mode it could plausibly spread, there are more than a couple dozen people on the island and they'd be traveling to new places to spread their sickness. 

Im pretty sure Eboli was a joke. :P great explanation.

I think adding a flu-like illness is a great idea. But it shouldn't be random. Similar to CF with time indoors, if you have prolonged poor diet and/or low body temp, your immune system weakens. Thus, your are more susceptible to falling ill. Flu survives longer in cold weather and can be carried by birds and animals. Humans can get it from contact with droppings, etc. (bird feathers could hold this risk). 

Archived