Where In The Goat Am I?

Ice Hole

@Ice Hole,  let me venture a guess... You're on the Crumbling Hwy between Coastal Highway and Desolation Point.  it looks like you would be on the top of the mountain looking down on the road with the basement to your left and the washed out section of the road to the right.    Am I even close?

Glad you made this post, as I have been wandering the TLD landscape I got to wondering how many times your character has died as you make these posts.  I have found some interesting ways to get up some areas, but you have taken it to new levels.  So, what's your secret to scaling the heights where others are unable to go?  Do you just find the most accessible route up or do you just gotta jiggle the keyboard just right to make your character climb?  The fact that my character is "hobbled" to such a degree that he can't jump up is my single biggest disappointment to this game.  

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

The fact that my character is "hobbled" to such a degree that he can't jump up is my single biggest disappointment to this game.

That is what makes this such a challenge.  In back country skiing the steep hills are tackled using a switchback technique and that is sort of 'the how' it is done, along with strafing and coaxing the mouse.  Without jump, (which is in almost every modern fps)  I still manage to access these areas is what so very interesting to me.  The route is almost a puzzle.  Also the exploration into untamed land draws me.

In the beginning I was avoiding wolf attacks because my mouse and I are not young and spry.  So out of that necessity I started to go out of my way to notice and tread pathways and use a pilgram toss away.  Saving in those times was trouble, my character would fall into a terrain trap and at the same time suffer a sprain.  The game was then saved in that spot and reset was the only option (never knew about noclip).  So progress was slow going.

Then changing my tactic to goat around with quad sprains.  Any time now I can just reload where the last sprain occurred or usually I just enter/exit a cave to create a save point.  This was the breakthrough that I needed to tackle Timberwolf Mountain with out ropes. 

There are very interesting sights from above and gave me a different perspective.  I now have a new mouse and can fend off wolf attacks easier, plus I have better aim using a bow, but still I goat around. 

Caught in an aurora while goating.

The area is CH and I am on top of this massive boulder (anyone have a name for this thing yet) next to the road.

Ouch, that left a couple of marks...

but i do see your upwards traverse technique works well.  It probably helps to be able to "read" the topography so to speak and not be afraid of falling. lol, I kinda have a hard time putting my 400+ day character at risk if you know what I mean.

43 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

kinda have a hard time putting my 400+ day character at risk if

That would be risky, but without risk no reward.    This saying somewhat applies here but I would not learn goating while on a 200+ interloper let alone anything above that.  Could you imagine though taking all of your winnings and put the marker over EVEN on roulette.  Might make your heart race knowing all is lost with just one slip.  Although you could take advantage of the quad sprain (save control) and explore but you still run the risk of falling to your death.  This presents less of a gamble and if you happen to get stuck just reload. 

The HRV region is where I plan on taking my vintage interlopers.  I purposely have not explored that region just so I can tread there during long interloper runs.  If they happen to slip then that is one less goat.

The videos are being recorded in pilgram just to make for easier logistics.

55 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Ouch, that left a couple of marks...

The recreation of discovery.  I try to show how through trial and error pathways can be learned.

• 4 weeks later...

That is exactly where I started to cut my horns so to speak.  Falling from the upper level made me wonder about other shortcuts.  You got the balance beam mastered. Hats off to you :toque:.

On an aside note about goating I see it somehow similar to other styles of mobility in FPS such as bunny hopping, or parkour.  Goating does not involve jumping and that restriction is what makes it a challenge.  Enjoy life just for the goat of it. Welcome to the forums  @Arjuna_Blaze 

2 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

It is not the TWM region.  There are clues present when the image is enhanced.

You're in Winding River.

The Dam is out of shot to the right.

The path up to the Dam is to the right of center...the Powerlines and the tree near the path to the dam give it away.

Since I'm there in my current Stalker-Box...I took a couple of screenshots...looking up to the cliffs above in the general area.

screen_c9d8b2fc-c0da-4ac4-a81c-8cf79dcaf932_hi.png

screen_cc9b24c2-5355-4971-a6b1-f8c3299f7dcb_hi.png

Those transmission towers might not have a fully fleshed out 3d model.  A month ago I passed through them like a ghost.  My previous post I was goating right next to and through the wires and those too do not seem part of the simulation.  It would be interesting if during an aurora those lines would be a hazard.

p.s.

Look carefully at @RossBondReturns  picture and you might see a goat peeking out from behind the peak.  

The goat path does lead to CHD and the fence can be hopped over.

• 2 weeks later...

That flat top peak should be something I would note for navigation.  I do not recognize this area.  Is it the HRV region? 

Zoom and enhance.

Now that I zoom it looks like I was indeed here recently.

screen_b79e5738-9c48-4a18-8ed0-c083ab38196a_hi.thumb.png.16f2caf4e131a32787429d9d85dfe918.png

Looks like you are standing right there beside me.  Grabbed this shot on February 7, 2019.  I was planning on using this but it was too clear to recognize.

Great job on using mist, light and shadow to hide details.

7 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

That flat top peak should be something I would note for navigation.  I do not recognize this area.  Is it the HRV region? 

Zoom and enhance.

Now that I zoom it looks like I was indeed here recently.

Hide contents

screen_b79e5738-9c48-4a18-8ed0-c083ab38196a_hi.thumb.png.16f2caf4e131a32787429d9d85dfe918.png

Looks like you are standing right there beside me.  Grabbed this shot on February 7, 2019.  I was planning on using this but it was too clear to recognize.

Great job on using mist, light and shadow to hide details.

Thats the same spot!!! hehehe

Here is the other side of that peak: The End Of The World 

Screenshot 2019-02-21 at 23.43.41.png

Archived