Lower FPS when looking at the ground

jnxldr

Image album with examples in Milton and my settings (FPS counter in top left) https://imgur.com/a/Ox16C2C

I've no mods installed and graphics drivers are the latest.

Anyone else experiencing lower fps when looking at the ground?

Edit #1: Was testing, and I can fix and reproduce this by changing the SSAO setting from High to Medium. On High, the FPS drops dramatically when looking at the ground. On Medium there's no change in FPS.

Edit #2: Now I have a bit more time, here's my specs for the record:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz
RAM: 32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-A (SOCKET 1150)
Graphics: 2 * 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (MSI)
Graphics Driver: ForceWare version: 417.35
Storage: Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB

Edited by jnxldr
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I don't have this exact issue, but I noticed since the redux update that various locations, including Grey Mothers house and the Orca Gas station, the FPS will just dip for no real discernible reason.  For example, I can look at Orcas Gas Station while standing between the last set of pumps and get 60fps.  Once I move a little closer, the FPS just dips to around to the low 40's to high 30's.  This can be replicated around the entire station, where a seemingly invisible threshold is present and once passed over, will trigger a drop in FPS.  Lowering my graphical settings gets rid of this particular issue, but I've been able to play on Ultra settings since release with a stable 60fps, so I'm not sure what happened to cause this particular problem.

I've dropped a support ticket with Hinterland shortly after the release of redux but as I understand it, Hinterland has an unusually high load of support requests right now, so I'm hoping there will be some resolution to this.  I don't really mind having to turn down the graphical settings, though it is a bit annoying considering that graphically, the game hasn't really changed between the last update and the redux.  There was another issue I brought to their attention where I'd get frame stutters, even at low quality settings.  I'm able to maintain a stable 60fps indoors at Orca, but the frames skip frequently and it's put me off playing the redux until it gets sorted.  I know they're busy and I hope sometime soon I can enjoy the Wintermute overhaul.

Thanks for your post! We're looking at some further optimizations for the Milton/Mountain town region that we're hoping will help with this issue. We don't have a release date for another update at this time, but it's something we're working on and hope to have out soon.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 9:36 AM, jnxldr said:

Edit #1: Was testing, and I can fix and reproduce this by changing the SSAO setting from High to Medium. On High, the FPS drops dramatically when looking at the ground. On Medium there's no change in FPS.

I can also confirm that changing my SSAO setting to Medium (from High) allows me to maintain a stable FPS with every other setting set to the Ultra preset.

• 1 year later...