Map Location optional? Please?

Guest kristaok

Guest kristaok

I know some people don’t want to know where they are exactly on the map, but I really do. So I would really like the ability to know where I’m at / going. I love the way Wintermute shows us where we are, so why can’t this at least be an option for those like me???

Guest kristaok
6 minutes ago, peteloud said:

Knowing where you are on the map is effectively giving you a GPS device.   Having such a device would make the game too easy.

TLD is about a badly equipped guy lost in the wintry outback trying to survive.     

Not necessarily, and I said I would like to be given the option to have these things... just like we have the option currently to play a custom survival game already.

The Wintermute map has GPS tracking. It's more accurate than Google Maps in my exprience. Very useful for locating those hidden supply caches. 

Seriously, we need to be able to switch that off. I really, really hate it. It makes sense that the option  be included for survival mode as well. 

Not sure if I like this.

Part of the danger is not knowing exactly where you are.

Case in point one of my most surreal Survival Endings came within 200 yards of trappers.

I chose to harvest the deer in the little shed there was plenty of time and a good clear late afternoon. So I went down and harvested the deer, by the time I was done a very thick fog had rolled in. But knowing the direction to Trappers I lined myself up and started off. I hadn't gone far before stopping I turned back and couldn't see the shed, I also couldn't see the rocks around Trappers.

I was then attacked by a wolf. I fought it off...and decided to go back to the shed...when I found the fog was even thicker. I treated my wounds and then turned back...I had no firewood...not many supplies...(I was on Day 2 of this sandbox)...found some wood I had missed and made a fire. A 2 hour fire.

After those 2 hours I had no choice but to try and make it to Trappers...so I started out again. I felt I was going the right way. Then a blizzard started up on top of the insane fog. Lantern out. Crunching through the snow...then I hear a wolf...30 seconds later I was dead.

I understand you want this optional...I just think it would take away from the aspect of loneliness and you are supposed to be lost and unfamiliar with the area after a plane crash. So in reality you would have no idea where you are?

18 hours ago, kristaok said:

I know some people don’t want to know where they are exactly on the map, but I really do. So I would really like the ability to know where I’m at / going. I love the way Wintermute shows us where we are, so why can’t this at least be an option for those like me???

I agree. An optional location marker should be made. It really helps me navigate.

Guest kristaok
1 hour ago, Ape88 said:

I agree. An optional location marker should be made. It really helps me navigate.

I'm glad someone agrees. 

I agree that there should be an option in survival to turn it on, as well as an option for campaign to turn it off. As RossBondReturnnoted, navigating the region is a pretty significant part of the gameplay and some of the most tense situations I've gotten into happened either during a storm or a mist, where I'd completely loose track of where I am. 
It's a feature that completely changes the way you play and I think the game would suit a wider variety of players if it did give this option. 

To clarify my position I wouldn't mind Hinterland adding such a marker if it was made optional.

However I think logically to both myself and them how would it makes sense based on the information we have?

You're not native to the area, you were probably on a long distance flight taking you somewhere other than Canada, how would it make sense to know exactly where you are.

Not knowing where I am sure doesn't stop me from mountain-goating everywhere in sandboxes on which I do not record my game play.

Also I'm kind of glad that all of my map knowledge in nearly 2,000 hours of play has come from discovering and learning each region, Hinterland have designed each region to be learned in this way. Often times I go out of my way to explore interior parts of regions that I know well just to see what an unexplored part looks like.

My wish is that instead of mapping an area per say we could use charcoal to sketch where we are to build a visual map of locations that we could turn to later in our run to figure out our position. But programming that would probably be really time consuming.

1 hour ago, RossBondReturns said:

My wish is that instead of mapping an area per say we could use charcoal to sketch where we are to build a visual map of locations that we could turn to later in our run to figure out our position. But programming that would probably be really time consuming.

This is something I've thought about for a while. 

Like you, I'm not sure how easy or difficult it would be to implement from a development perspective, but I wonder if there could be a way to make a charcoal-ified 'screenshot' of your view.

It could be just like pressing F10, except there be an inbuilt image-processing programme that converted it to charcoal effect, so you could take 'sketches' of your surroundings using the campfire charcoal? 

Guest kristaok
18 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

To clarify my position I wouldn't mind Hinterland adding such a marker if it was made optional.

However I think logically to both myself and them how would it makes sense based on the information we have?

You're not native to the area, you were probably on a long distance flight taking you somewhere other than Canada, how would it make sense to know exactly where you are.

Not knowing where I am sure doesn't stop me from mountain-goating everywhere in sandboxes on which I do not record my game play.

Also I'm kind of glad that all of my map knowledge in nearly 2,000 hours of play has come from discovering and learning each region, Hinterland have designed each region to be learned in this way. Often times I go out of my way to explore interior parts of regions that I know well just to see what an unexplored part looks like.

This is what I meant, I just want the option to be able to see where I’m at. I mean I wish I had a good memory so that I could memorize the map, but unfortunately I don’t have a good memory due to ptsd etc. 

Archived