Basic Shelter building/augmenting

JaK

I am new to this game. I am an outdoor enthusiast so you can see my interest in a game like this. I would like to suggest that a function be added to allow shelter building/augmenting. What I mean is when you are landed in a situation that you need to get out of the cold in the woods, you look for a good spot along the side of a rock face, a small stand of trees, or even a small cave like you find in the beginning of story mode, next thing you would do is using branches or debris you would make a wind break that would keep the heat from the fire a little more contained. Surely you want to make smoke able to vent out but a shield from the elements can help quite a bit to survive a cold night and even deter predators in the case of the cave. You could also get away with a smaller fire and make your resources last longer. This would bring a little more realism to the game.

You can actually do most of this already. 

There are snow shelters made from sticks and cloth that you can place outside, as long the the terrain is flat-ish, and you can use them to warm yourself up and/or sleep in them. Cave interiors are windproof without the need to construct windbreaks. Fires will keep wolves away. 

Good to know, I guess I will try to figure out how to do those things. I am still figuring things out, good news is I haven't died yet, but I have gotten pretty banged up and close to it. I am sure survival mode will be harder than the story mode but I am enjoying this game so far.

I'm quite new to TLD myself.  It took me awhile to find the snow shelter.  It's on the same radial menu as the campfire (just a friendly heads up).  I'm finding it's a good idea to always carry the basic materials required (sticks and cloth) in case a blizzard pops up and you can't find a natural shelter nearby.   You can't move them around, but you can dismantle them and get some of the materials back each time.

Guest kristaok
7 hours ago, Pillock said:

You can actually do most of this already. 

There are snow shelters made from sticks and cloth that you can place outside, as long the the terrain is flat-ish, and you can use them to warm yourself up and/or sleep in them. Cave interiors are windproof without the need to construct windbreaks. Fires will keep wolves away. 

True, but I will agree it would be nice to make a lean too, or an igloo that would be cool. I get what they are saying though, about trying to keep the fires from blowing out.

Archived