Make your own fire logs

Anarchyantz

OK so here is something I fondly remember from my childhood while on stays with my Nan (going back about 35 years now!). Before it was "new and cool" to have open burning fires in ones home, my Nan never had central heating and being a young woman during WWII in England you learned to make do with what was on hand which comes to making fire logs out of newspaper. She had a rolling machine and any discarded newspapers, or any paper was rolled up into fire logs to supplement her meager coal and coke as well as any wood on hand and stored in the Anderson shelter (that was still standing back in the 80s!). Given how much newsprint and paper there is laying about I thought it would be a good idea. Seems a waste to make just tinder out of it, which i never actually do because you get bucket loads from cattails and when limb harvesting. Just a thought from a real life source. 

Guest kristaok

I will admit I do wish we could burn our newspapers as well and not just use them as tinder all the time, because I have loads of these and I kind of want rid of some of them. 

Archived