Mystery Lake Caches Side quest

BareSkin

Well yeah, I got this, my problem is: I found notes, the in-game UI shows I have a new side quest with every note I found, but still in the Journal there in no entry for these quests, and I also don't have any icon on the maps to find the caches. Any idea, maybe @Support? Idon't want to go to the Dam and end episode 2 without getting this Steam Achievement, since I won't play Episode 1 & 2 a third time...

Just adding that I have the same problem. I've found 2 or 3 notes linked to caches (one of them is just "an X marked on a map", but doesn't mark my map) but no side quest like in Episode 1 or map markers. I wondered if it would trigger when I talked to Jeremiah about the Forest Talkers, but it didn't.

For me the 3 Forest Talkers supply caches triggered and showed on the map just fine.

The only thing I can figure doing differently than others is Talking to Jeremiah about the "Bear" subject (in blue), triggering a cutscene and not being able to make him talk about the 2 others subjects thereafter (they were in white)

Yeah, I've just realised from looking at other threads that there seems to be two separate cache quests in Episode 2 - Forest Talkers and Mystery Lake. I haven't been able to trigger either, yet, but I might not have come across any Forest Talker cache notes yet. The notes I've found so far are all for ML.

Regarding the dialogue options, I think I exhausted all the white options before triggering any progression from the blue ones, so I don't *think* that's the issue.

12 hours ago, Jolan said:

For folks on Steam - I had a number of glitches fix themselves after I verified local cache.  It took a couple of tries to get the all clear response.  

Are you referring to the "Verify integrity of game files" option?

Edit: If so, I've tried that, no success. I'm hoping that any hotfix allows you to pick up the cache quest even if you're already carrying the notes. Foolishly, I don't have a save just before going into Episode 2, so while I wouldn't mind replaying the small amount of Ep 2 I've done, there's no way I'm playing a whole load of Ep 1 again just to get into 2 with all my gear.

@Korlis

Might not help you, but I found I had to reread things, as well as drop and pick back up the bear spear before the glitches resolved.  Good luck!  I missed one of the caches, so now I'm deciding if I care enough to go through it all again. :D 

I don't know if it helps, but found a few notes too and then got a quest when talking to a forest talker inside the lake cabin. I had to get something for him from log cabins and the dam. I had no hatchet (or just didnt find the thing in the hydro dam), so i stopped doing the side quest.

I also never did these side queasts in the pre-redux version. So maybe you guys just think too much like in the old version? Just talk to the guy in the cabin and the mission is triggered.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:53 AM, MueckE said:

I also never did these side queasts in the pre-redux version. So maybe you guys just think too much like in the old version? Just talk to the guy in the cabin and the mission is triggered.

I think you're misunderstanding, though I will admit I'm working from incomplete information. There are two sets of cache quests in Episode 2. The quests you seem to be talking about, the Forest Talker ones, aren't the ones we're having a problem with.

The notes for the other set of cache quests are not triggering the quest or location markers. I did wonder if, yes, there is simply no "quest" in your journal and no map markers, but that can't be the case since one of the notes is "illegible apart from an X" or something similar, so it would only make sense if there's a quest that isn't triggering properly. Looking at a guide this seems to be the "rail tunnel cache" from the forestry lookout note, but since it's not clear what has changed in Redux and the guide I'm looking at is pre-Redux, I don't know if that is still accurate.

On 12/29/2018 at 4:02 PM, BareSkin said:

I can't have this side quest trigger, even if I have found 4 notes leading to caches, and even looted 2 of them without the help of map icon location.

Anyone else with this problem? Any trick to do? Does this side quest activate only after doing something?

Yep, having the exact same problems and that's why I joined this forum.

At first I thought it was intended. In Milton, you get nice leads to the cache in the map because it is the first episode and supposed to be easier...

In episode 2, well you have to rely on what's written on the note so you don't get update on jounral nor map...

But I was wrong.

One of the notes I found in the dam led me to find a cache in Clear Cut even though the journal was not updated (nor the map) because it mentioned where to find.

The other note I found led me to Alan's cave but there was no cache.

Now I found a note saying 'illegible' but marking a point in the map... which is not updated on the map. Now I understand that there's something wrong going on here.

BTW, my side quest journal has been updated for Survival school quests...

I really need this fixed soon because side quests are really adding a lot of fun value to the Wintermute playthrough.

What i meant was, that now some things are now connected to the story in anothe way. For example did i look too for the farm key and couldn't find it (because now there is no key). So although i didn't play the sidequests, it could be the same here. My question was, are you absolutly sure that these are two diffrent "sets of quests" now? Have you done the forest talker quest and all other things, now there are NO quests at all left (completed forest talker) but the supply caches are still open? This would be kind of a bug. But if you just assume that these are diffrent quests based on your experience from pre-redux, than that's maybe the issue because maybe now these are not two seperate quests anymore.

So have you completed everything else?

5 hours ago, MueckE said:

What i meant was, that now some things are now connected to the story in anothe way. For example did i look too for the farm key and couldn't find it (because now there is no key). So although i didn't play the sidequests, it could be the same here. My question was, are you absolutly sure that these are two diffrent "sets of quests" now? Have you done the forest talker quest and all other things, now there are NO quests at all left (completed forest talker) but the supply caches are still open? This would be kind of a bug. But if you just assume that these are diffrent quests based on your experience from pre-redux, than that's maybe the issue because maybe now these are not two seperate quests anymore.

So have you completed everything else?

Me personally?

Yes I got the Cache Mastery Achievement on my Redux Play through.

Got all of the Caches in both Episodes 1 and 2.

I just need to upload my LP.

19 hours ago, Nightmover said:

The other note I found led me to Alan's cave but there was no cache.

You have to take the note for the cache to appear. Also, if you want to make sure it's not there, you have to be sure where it should be. The caches are... well... hidden, sorta.

9 hours ago, BareSkin said:

You have to take the note for the cache to appear. Also, if you want to make sure it's not there, you have to be sure where it should be. The caches are... well... hidden, sorta.

I'm saying that I've been doing that (reading and taking notes) but still not getting it updated to journal nor map properly. So it must be a bug... Really hope it to be fixed soon. Back to the survival mode for a while.

On 1/7/2019 at 9:04 AM, MueckE said:

My question was, are you absolutly sure that these are two diffrent "sets of quests" now? Have you done the forest talker quest and all other things, now there are NO quests at all left (completed forest talker) but the supply caches are still open? This would be kind of a bug. ... So have you completed everything else?

I can't be absolutely sure they are different quests without trying to complete everything in the episode and seeing if it's still broken, but I don't want to do that if it's actually a bug. I'd rather wait to see if it's patched (and I think the Hinterland crew are back at work from Jan 8th).

I see what you're saying about thinking of things in pre-redux terms, but I'm basing this on how it works in Episode 1 Redux: just finding the cache note is enough to trigger the cache quest. I concede it's possible there's some step, such as a conversation with an NPC or a pre-requisite quest, that I'm missing, but if that's the case then it is very unintuitive. A "simple" bug stopping the quest from triggering seems more likely than the quest behaving completely different in the second episode.

Unfortunately the release of Redux, while a huge improvement overall, has created a weird situation where a lot of guides were written for the pre-redux content and it's not possible for me to look up stuff like how many side quests there should be - if someone who has actually played the side quests could confirm or deny that they appear as separate entries in the side missions part of the journal, that would be very helpful.

So it is as i thought it is. There is no bug, it's just a mix of assuming it is like in pre-redux and a little bit of cheating by looking up locations and guides instead of playing the game.

In that case, you can either just play the game, like a game, or wait till updated spoilers and guides are out there.

For me personally it wasn't worth the efford to search for the caches, so i kept playing the main story. For me it would've broken the pace of the story.

23 hours ago, MueckE said:

So it is as i thought it is. There is no bug, it's just a mix of assuming it is like in pre-redux and a little bit of cheating by looking up locations and guides instead of playing the game.

In that case, you can either just play the game, like a game, or wait till updated spoilers and guides are out there.

For me personally it wasn't worth the efford to search for the caches, so i kept playing the main story. For me it would've broken the pace of the story.

NO, it is not as you thought. Why are you trying to wrap-up the thread saying 'hey you guys are not playing the game as a game but trying to watch all the guide and cheat and make no fun out of it'. You are making assumption, which is very rude.

I never played freaking pre-redux Wintermute. I never bother to read guide for playing TLD, this is actually the first time I ever try to join a forum to find a solution for a problem I'm having with the game.

All we are saying - me, Korlis, and Bareskin - is that the quest is not activating as it should when we pick up notes leading to caches. As you can see in the screenshot posted by Hilayla, the whole Forest-talker quest is different from what we've been talking about. Do you mind if I assume you have poor reading comprehension skill?

On 1/9/2019 at 7:18 AM, MueckE said:

I have no idea what you're basing that on. The screenshot (many thanks, @Hilayla!) shows that there are separate side missions for Forest Talker Caches and Mystery Lake caches, and several people have reported being unable to activate the Mystery Lake side mission. Since you have repeatedly stated that you have not played the side missions and do not have any input on how to activate them, your input in this thread is increasingly counterproductive for players hoping to get feedback.

On 1/9/2019 at 7:18 AM, MueckE said:

...a little bit of cheating by looking up locations and guides instead of playing the game.

It's up to you how you want to play the game. If you consider using a guide cheating, that's fine. However, you're missing the point people are making when they bring up guides: because of the bug preventing the cache quest from activating, the game is not marking the location of caches on the map, so the side quest cannot be completed without using a guide. This is clearly incorrect behaviour from the game, indicating a bug.

It is possible there is a bug.  When I played Redux the first time, I could not unlock the cave cache in Milton; it never showed up as a quest. (This was V1.41, before any patches).  In my more recent playthrough (current/V1.44) I haven't had any issues with side quests working properly.

I don't recall exactly, but I think it might have had something to do with just reading the note the first time I encountered it, and then not picking it up, but picking it up later.  Maybe start another save of the episode, and make a beeline for the note/trigger that is giving you issues, and if it's also bugged in that save, screen cap it and submit as a bug.

Archived