hozz1235

Custom Setting: Item Decay Rate

11 posts in this topic

Can we please have the option of None?  Yeah, I know it's not realistic but it is Custom settings after all :)

• Upvote 2

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:47 PM, hozz1235 said:

Can we please have the option of None?  Yeah, I know it's not realistic but it is Custom settings after all :)

The custom setting is a really good idea, why not let the survivor mode benefit as well.

What if an option was added to TLD game to repair gear fully and thus the gear could become a new quality called 'Heirloom Quality'.
Then the gear item or clothes item would decay 90% slower while in storage, and would decay 80% slower while being used.
(Storing an heirloom tool / rifle / jacket for 500 days would become very manageable).

• This might make stored decay rates more reasonable for properly prepared gear items.
  • The whetstones and rifle cleaning kits might benefit from an increase in value.
  • The value of cloth and sewing kits / skills might benefit from an increased value.

Just rough ideas but seems a good fit and worthwhile addition to the Survival Experience Mode. :coffee:

Edited by s7mar7in

I'd be happy if they just set things back to not starting the decay rate until you enter a region for the first time. I get that it is a bit unrealistic, but it also limits most reasons to fully explore the map during a game. The decay rate itself is utterly unrealistic, so it shouldn't matter that nothing starts to decay until one enters that zone. Why bother heading out when you know that most of the items will be ruined when you get there. Outside of rifle rounds and a bit of cloth, there really isn't much left. My other issue is there are so few decent places left to set up a permanent base ~ and that factors heavily into my loot path. If they make things any messier and filthy it may be the end of any reason at all to keep playing (just my opinion and preferences). Normal people clean up a place they are living in.

At this point I generally start on TWM, skim through PV hitting the known drops along half the map, and head to either CH or ML to set up a permanent base. It's a shame, but it is what it is. I can hit the forge in FM or DP when I need to, but other than harvesting plants there isn't much left ... and certainly no incentive to go for a long walk to the other regions :-( 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, loriaw said:

... and certainly no incentive to go for a long walk to the other regions :-( 

Depends on your difficulty setting/custom setting.  If you set decay rate low, you should be able to loot most items in your game before they decay (given you don't linger for too long in areas - which I tend to do).

My opinion the canned food should not be decaying at all while its unopened, as for the snack food can stay the same honestly. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I think more easy is to overhaul whole system and leave basic decay setting (no decay-low-medium-high). Extended decay system would contain mechanisms to allow player stop decay with propper storage so basic setting only affects decay rate when there is no propper storage.

Example, when food doesnt decay:

canned food: room temperature, no freeze, no overheating

Carcass meat: freeze, non humid (no snow), no light

Dry food: no humidity

etc.

Clothes should stay as their are, mut their storage decay should be far less slower.

Edited by Moll
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Depends on your difficulty setting/custom setting.  If you set decay rate low, you should be able to loot most items in your game before they decay (given you don't linger for too long in areas - which I tend to do).

That is true. I rarely need any commercial food outside of coffee/tea after the first week or so. Generally all I loot for after that is rifle rounds (I detest that bow), scrap metal (depending on what region I set up a base camp in), and cloth. I'll gather coal as I go, and any harvestable plants I come across, but I don't even go out of my way to get those any more. What I need is something to 'do' rather than keep taking long walks lol.

I don't play stalker or interloper at all ~ the mechanics and evil wolves just don't do it for me. Neither does clenching my jaw and sitting on the edge of my seat. I play this game to relax ... but boredom isn't all that relaxing. Realistically I could do 500 days staying in just CH/DP or ML/FL or BR all by itself if it weren't for the absolute crazy boredom of doing nothing but hunt, eat, sleep, repeat. Taking a long walk to look at tons of ruined food/clothing and picking up a few rifle rounds just isn't worth it to me.

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”
Leo Tolstoy

Leon Tolstoy