Disassemble/harvest burned-out campfires

UTC-10

I was glad when burned-out campfires could be relit rather than have to lay a new campfire. 

I was not quite so happy about the new campfires which were larger and often could not fit too well into places where the old campfires could be placed. But you live with what you get.

Given that the snow/ground surface elevation apparently can change, I think that the ability to break up an old campfire would be useful.  Even if all you get for your trouble is the campfire is gone. In the jpg, the fire can be lit, but the cooking surfaces cannot be accessed. In the other jpg, I can light the fire and have access to one cooking surface. The capacity to tear down a burned-out campfire would also allow for players to reset the location of a campfire if they made a mistake when they first placed it, or it has sunk into the snow, or a consequence of having placed a campfire before the cooking update as they had no idea that campfire orientation would ever matter.

screen_(-627, 140, 21)_940821db-db7e-4e86-9d46-8bebaeebf1e8.jpg

Carter - Campfire - 20181205213049_1.jpg

10 hours ago, Serenity said:

Burned out campfires are most annoying when you used them to harvest a carcass. The carcass disappears but the campfiire will remain and look weird

Maybe the old-style campfire could be re-introduced as a lesser form of campfire. It acts like a pot-bellied stove (i.e. only one cooking surface) and if left alone (it is not active) it can despawn like fully harvested carcasses or maybe by dawn the next day. 

So if you want something permanent, place the new campfire, if you want something for awhile (for warmth and maybe something hot to drink), place the old campfire. 

9 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

Maybe the old-style campfire could be re-introduced as a lesser form of campfire.

I love the aesthetics of good old' Bazey the campfire :fire:, that clean uncluttered form. Would love to see its return.  But please do not say lesser, it will be sad.:(

350?cb=20171223161011

The tight windproof places this campfire could get into is what made Blazey :fire: great!

BringBackBlazey

Guest kristaok

I pretty much have learned to only light fires around if I have to, (I use stoves if I can) must be an OCD thing but I can't take too much litter. 

If they do implement the ability to remove fires that would be awkward though going around to disassemble old fires haha. 

I was just thinking that if a fire is still burning, the remove option should be grayed out.  If it became a reality, I just know someone or a bunch of someones would try to remove the campfire while it is still active (even at ember stage). The idea may be to extinguish a fire since we otherwise have to let it burn out.

I don't have to make many fires that would be clutter and litter, at least not many.  I lay fire trails since campfires were easier to see than a tinder plug or cattail head. Sometimes I'd like to stop, use a magnifying lens to start a fire, but I really don't want to litter the countryside with these kinds of fire. If I really have to  then I really have to. But with the shifting snows, it is becoming a minor issue for me, especially since the previously placed campfire was often just where I want it and may now be unusable. I have also occasionally wanted to shift it a bit. 

Archived