Make Long Dark Multiplayer

adkennedy03

I know it would be hard for TLD to have a multiplayer mode because of the way it advances time when you do somethings like choppin wood and craftin.  If there was a way to have a voting like system to fast forward time or if everyone is doing something at the same time then the game can fast forward time or it is faster than normal in multiplayer and when you carry out a task the effects it would have on you still happen just way faster, such as when you chop up a tree limb for wood and its cold out your temp drops as much as it would in single player but way faster so it would sort of work.  Crafting would be a little trickier, mostly with big projects like the makeshift clothes and other things that take a longer time to complete, but for smaller things that only take five or so minutes you could just do that with out fast forwarding time.  Player models  would be kinda tricky to do as well.  It could either be one model that stays the same for the character regardless of their clothes or have the clothes they're wearing show up on them.  Respawn could be an option then you would have to go get your backpack where you died to reclaim your stuff but you wouldn't have anything other than very basic clothes like jeans a t-shirt socks and a pair of running shoes. Animal attacks could be interfered by another person if they attack the animal doing the violent hate crime reducing the damage done the unfortunate person attacked by everyones favorite four legged furry beasts.

I think this is a good idea, but not in a MMO type way. I am saying coop mode, LAN or private server like the old quake3 engine supported. Last thing we need is bunch of noobs running around laming everyone or ruining the experience saying "FoOD pLoX" everywhere they go or some lame thing. LOL

I am thinking just friends, real friends.

Raph has said there will be follow-on games, and that they'll be looking at adding a lot of things, such as changing seasons and so on. However, doing that well will be a tremendous amount of work, and retrofitting that stuff into this particular game would be prohibitive. As a person who's been working in the IT industry for a long time at dev shops, I find this entirely believable. I think that nobody's going to see any kind of online coop until TLD2, but I wouldn't be surprised if the lessons learned wrt design choices mean that the next version of this game will have a lot of the things a lot of us want to see. Personally, I can think of a lot of multiplayer game modes that could be supported by the TLD 'universe' that would be extremely cool, but I don't expect to see any of them for at least another couple of years. My gut feeling on the likely progression of the game is that 2019 is the year the other three episodes get finished, and that (late) 2020 is the year that we get to see TLD 2, and that game will be in a position to deal with some of the early design decisions that make fulfilling certain wishes expressed by the player base here finally happen. For example, the player's backpack as a container, that can be upgraded by finding another larger one that holds more stuff, and so on; currently the player is the container because that was a design decision made a LONG time ago when they were looking at a far more restrictive set of platforms (iirc mobile) before the current version of the game took shape.

All that's just gut feeling, but if I were in Raph's shoes, this would be the short and medium term roadmap for the company I'd be thinking about... and they're plausible given resource constraints and the simple truth that delivering quality software just takes time, and that less than half of that time is actually writing the software; the rest is design, testing, and tweaking to deliver the experience wanted.

The Long Dark was designed from the beginning to be a single-player experience and we don't have any plans to add multiplayer. It doesn't quite fit with type of experience we are trying to build and yes, the technical challenges of trying to add multiplayer to the existing game would be pretty significant.

However we do understand many people are interested in a multiplayer experience, and don't fault anyone for finding the idea compelling (it IS fun to imagine). We've seen quite a few requests for it, and it might be something we consider for a future game -- but not this one.

Archived