The wishlist of a dedicated Pilgrim

KarinmedQ

So, yes, I pretty much only play Pilgrim. Sure, I gave Interloper a try and managed to survive a whooping 13 hours (yes you're allowed to laugh at that), but Pilgrim is my jam! So I understand that many of the things on my list would seem silly/not worth it for someone who's looking for a challange, but since I am playing the game for the beauty of it and the relaxing exploration and, last but not least, for my love of hoarding food in games -  these are a few of the things I would greatly enjoy:

1. Honey. Because who wouldn't enjoy a rare sweet treat that pretty much never spoils? It could also be considered for treatment of wounds/illness due to it's... I wanna say antibacterial properties? Put some in your rosehip tea and you've got a painkilling and "antibiotic" combo! It would of course attract bears on higher difficulties :P
  2. Candles! Because they are pretty and offer light. Just light. No warmth bonus or a veeery small one. 
  3. Let me read books. Not just the ones that make me "smarter" but the ones otherwise destined for the fire - as a more immersive way of passing time then just lying in bed with that deck of cards we never see but can hear...
  4. Cocoa. Because cocoa is great, and it could be a "not quite as good as coffee" way to reduce fatigue.
  5. May I take a seat? No, I don't, but I wish I could. Why have chairs if we can't sit on them? :D 
  6. Backpacks, goes on the pack mules back. I would love to be able to pick up a backpack and use it for a slight carry weight bonus.

That's a few of the things I would like. I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to suggest a few of these. And I'm not sure it is "good" suggestions that would add more than it costs in development etc., but I like the idea of these things in the game. 

And if anyone notices any weird spelling or odd grammar I defend myself with the fact that English isn't my first language.

Guest kristaok

1. Do you mean a jar of honey? I'm not sure if they could easily use the honey to add to the teas, then again maybe they could find a way kind of like how fuel can be added to a lantern. 

I love honey I'm just not sure how it could be incorporated without being overpowering, because in real life honey lasts a long time, but in the game it would need to run out or go bad somehow to not be over powering. 

I hope what I said makes sense. :P

2. I do think candles should be added, most homes are more apt to have candles than they are to have lanterns. Good idea!

3. Neat idea, perhaps they could implement this somehow. 

4. Believe it or not cocoa can have some caffeine haha, but yea I think adding a box of cocoa would be a nice touch. Good idea!

5. I wish I could sit too. :/ So yea that's another good idea!

6. I kind of wish we could carry backpacks or at least pull sleds, but technically I'm assuming your character is already carrying one you just can't see it, I mean how else could they lug around so many things?

17 hours ago, kristaok said:

1. Do you mean a jar of honey? I'm not sure if they could easily use the honey to add to the teas, then again maybe they could find a way kind of like how fuel can be added to a lantern. 

I love honey I'm just not sure how it could be incorporated without being overpowering, because in real life honey lasts a long time, but in the game it would need to run out or go bad somehow to not be over powering. 

I hope what I said makes sense. :P

It makes perfect sense. :D Yes I was thinking lika a jar of honey, and yes I agree - it would be a balance act to not make the honey wicked OP. I imagine it would have to be a really rare and limited find.

17 hours ago, kristaok said:

6. I kind of wish we could carry backpacks or at least pull sleds, but technically I'm assuming your character is already carrying one you just can't see it, I mean how else could they lug around so many things?

Hmm, yes maybe they do. Then again perhaps the character just have reeaally deep pockets. XD

I think the backpacks came to mind especially since the introduction of the moose satchels - if I can have one of those why not be able to pick up a backpack? A girl can dream, right? :) 

1 hour ago, Lonelyloper said:

As someone who pretty much only plays on interloper, I think these are all good ideas :) 

And if honey is OP, they would just leave it out of interloper the same as peanut butter and condensed milk.

Thank you :)

And that's true! Poor Interlope survivors probably wouldn't get to taste the sweet sweet honey. Or it would be like find one jar of honey with veeery little left in one of the... 7 (neither math nor memory is my strong suit) maps. 

Guest kristaok
4 hours ago, Lonelyloper said:

As someone who pretty much only plays on interloper, I think these are all good ideas :) 

And if honey is OP, they would just leave it out of interloper the same as peanut butter and condensed milk.

Makes sense.

5 hours ago, KarinmedQ said:

It makes perfect sense. :D Yes I was thinking lika a jar of honey, and yes I agree - it would be a balance act to not make the honey wicked OP. I imagine it would have to be a really rare and limited find.

Hmm, yes maybe they do. Then again perhaps the character just have reeaally deep pockets. XD

I think the backpacks came to mind especially since the introduction of the moose satchels - if I can have one of those why not be able to pick up a backpack? A girl can dream, right? :) 

Yea if there's a way they could do Honey that would be great, I do love me some Honey. 

Maybe a pocket thing based on the pants you wear to only hold so much weight could be reworked, and then if you find or start out with a backpack you can hold more. They could also add sleds you can pull to hold even more, since people can pull more than they can carry.

@Raphael van Lierop actually directly addressed this issue in Mailbag 1, in question 1: 

This is a great example of how an early software design decision (probably made back when (IIRC) they were planning on targeting the mobile game space) can end up causing big headaches later, because it's so deeply embedded in the assumptions used by other later parts of the code that changing it risks creating a massive cascade of bugs in other parts of the code that rely on that early assumption to be true.

Yeah, I think I heard that that might be the case when I last hanged around the forums waaaayy back. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of actual proof that it's not going to happen. :) 

(I'm still going to wish it was a thing even if it's never going to be XD)

Well, I do know that Hinterland will probably make a sequel down the road a bit, and with a new code base to work from a lot of these types of issues can be addressed during the design phase, now that they know so much more about these specific issues with the game's design. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say :)

Archived