I Got One Word For TLD Wish: FATWOOD

Ice Hole

The moment I discovered FATWOOD my blood was set ablaze and an inferno of ideas entered my mind.

Fatwood is the most useful substance to look for if you plan on surviving in the cold wet weather.  This type of wood ignites with just a spark.  The stuff even can be dropped into water and still it can be fired right up.  What is Fatwood and where can it be obtained you ask?  It is found around fallen pine trees.  The branches, roots or stumps of pine trees have pine resin soaked into the wood.  The resin is not just on the surface but it is impregnated into the wood.  The resin gathers and can be collected and used as the best tinder.

If wet wood was part of the Long Dark then FATWOOD wood be a great addition.  The idea is balance.  What else could offset such a powerful survival tool?

1 hour ago, kristaok said:

I read it's a great tinder. 

The issue to me is it seems over powered for the game.  The fuel we get from fishing is a suitable facsimile.  Fatwood just adds an extremely useful resource to the game and could be unbalancing.

Fatwood is not renewable and seems that it is easy to locate.  Many fallen trees and stumps are in the Long Dark (looks to me there are more now).  Maybe a risk of injury while collecting could offset Fatwood's usefulness. 

The fire starting skill could play a role in collecting fatwood.  As fire starting skill increases this reduces the chance of injury and increases the amount of fatwood collected.

What is the etymology for fatwood?

Must be linked to fat or lard.  The wood is soaked in lard.  Not able to verify. 

Here are other videos.

I can has some Extra Big Ass Fries!

brought to you by Carl's Junior

This other video shows a great way to gather tinder while looking for fatwood.

The issue to me is it seems over powered for the game.  The fuel we get from fishing is a suitable facsimile.  Fatwood just adds an extremely useful resource to the game and could be unbalancing.

Fatwood is not renewable and seems that it is easy to locate.  Many fallen trees and stumps are in the Long Dark (looks to me there are more now).  Maybe a risk of injury while collecting could offset Fatwood's usefulness. 

The fire starting skill could play a role in collecting fatwood.  As fire starting skill increases this reduces the chance of injury and increases the amount of fatwood collected.

What is the etymology for fatwood?

Must be linked to fat or lard.  The wood is soaked in lard.  Not able to verify. 

Guest kristaok

Wonder if they could make it only drop so often kind of like the birch bark stuff? They could also make it run out eventually after so many uses. 

Oddly I have yet to get the oils from fishing, is that a new thing?

Guest kristaok
11 minutes ago, Ice Hole said:

The cooked fish used to return lamp oil.

I cannot say for certain now because have not yet gone fishin since the REdux.

Ok thx. I haven't fished yet either since the redux, I'm working on getting the achievements for not killing anything, and the one for not using a gun etc. but yea sorry to derail. I'd like to see more tinder like what you proposed and also pine cones! I heard they can be used as tinder too. 

Guest kristaok
4 minutes ago, stratvox said:

I have gone fishing since the Redux, and I can confirm that cooking fish yields a little bit of fish oil which can be used to fuel the lantern and to make torches, or as an accelerant for a fire.

Nice Thx!

Found some of that Long Dark Fatwood. 

maybe? 

These look like pine tree that have fallen over and could be rotten. 

The stump and branch knots would be the spots to harvest Fatwood.

Fallen tree above Dave's Quiet Clearing.

screen_53f4efae-3801-47ac-93c0-fa026708d65c_hi.thumb.png.1ee7f0d7f540e401d7659f006434d67d.png

screen_dabdc6ed-3955-43d7-be07-8ff09b54efcb_hi.thumb.png.3f5df2a121a356e2136c04289539f068.png

Mystery Lake has some all around.

screen_dbc1e614-9fef-4398-933f-4fad36b9ed4d_hi.thumb.png.60724b6d2c436fbf6751f4fb9a274f36.png

screen_65f4df33-c7a9-43f4-af87-d62a9f6ac87f_hi.thumb.png.2de068ee7924267a33289f1ba6dc0694.png

Looked in the Dead Fall area.  

screen_39f0223d-6fe8-4531-b8eb-acbd7add0853_hi.thumb.png.d70dd23fde14267eec4fbada623065f1.png

Maybe finding fatwood pieces in a workbench drawer would be just fine.  Needs to be crafted into the sticks before use or the entire piece is used similar to the roll of paper.

Archived