Powell

Driving cars

Maybe it would sound crazy for you. But really, driving cars would be good. Traveling around maps get too much time.

And after a while the player gets bored by traveling a lot.But a transportation vehicle would be great!

Car_red.jpg

Edited by Powell
  • Upvote 1

NO! NO! the long dark is supposed to be hard. if we're going to be able to drive cars, find 20 types of guns, RPGs, yada yada, it's not going to be the long dark anymore! it would be...

The long bright and ringing in your ears as the nonsense like cars and more guns destroy the silence, leaving you not having any sense of suspense or tension as you wipe away wolves like a smudge of dirt on your newly found machine gun.

• Upvote 4

i am okay with that too.At least they should have added new items. i am bored of seeing same items.

Also,there were a few item shelters in the past. But i can't see them anymore.

I don't think the aurora is powerful enough to allow cars to run. They can barely turn on a radio. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Didn't the storm mess up the cars though? I mean I'm not against using fuel for gas in a car, but it would have to be balanced just right... meaning in a way where being able to drive cars wouldn't make the game too easy. 

For me though it would be more realistic to have a dog and a sled, than to try and drive a car when the town is practically empty and the gas stations are not being manned. 

I don’t think this would be possible. The Aurora has pretty munch made any vehicle unable to run. Not to mention gas would be finite and I don’t see this really fitting into the ambiance or the story of TLD.

1. Cars are solid part of level geometry. You cannot move them anyway. I really doubt if Hinterlands Unity version contains functions about vehicles, they probably remove it to keep engine core simple and clean.

2. Vehicles are pointless, because most of levels have no space where you can use a vehicle safely. Your average wimpy car would die in deep snow anyway.

3. It would be broken, especially when you have 100 % freedom of movement. You would probably stuck car betweem trees or on terrain bulge.

4. You gonna exploit animal AI. Fight bear with car? No.

Edited by Moll

No. 

Any and all the fancy electrical parts that you need to make it run would've been fried in the storm. At most you'd be able to turn on the lights, honk the horn (which I think would be cool), run the wipers, and move the windows up and down during Auroras, but the simple fact that you need to time the spark plugs and fire them in a specific order means that during the Aurora even then it wouldn't work as they'd be firing out of order thus making it impossible for the engine to run.

Personally, I'd hate to see this added. I don't want TLD turning into Just Cause or Far Cry.

• Upvote 1

There would be a lot of other collateral issues that would have to be addressed if cars were to become a functional item. The same thing would apply to things like using sleds and skis.

We might only think of the need to be able to turn a key and start the car, but Hinterland will have to consider and provide for every possible contingency (reasonable, unreasonable, stupid and suicidal, etc.) that a player might do or try to do. And for what gain, in their mind, to the game? The cost to deliver functionality is always going to be a consideration.

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2018 at 12:22 AM, DesertWolf29 said:

I don’t think this would be possible. The Aurora has pretty munch made any vehicle unable to run. Not to mention gas would be finite and I don’t see this really fitting into the ambiance or the story of TLD.

I don't endorse the idea of running automobiles in any way but I've often wondered if there was a vehicle with a manual transmission parked on a hill (are there any like this in say Coastal Highway or maybe Pleasant Valley) it should be theoretically possible to 'pop the clutch.'  This would in turn cause the engine to, in theory, turnover and start running.  Granted there's a lot of variables here but -- fire still works, flammable liquids still burn ... the motor SHOULD turn over IF you could some how thaw it out a bit first ... 

These are the silly thoughts I have while enduring the 99th blizzard while stuck in some out of the way place in TLD ;-)

Edited by Doc Gonzo

Yeeeeeeeah I don't think cars will ever be driveable (for many reasons that were already stated by other people), the best hope we will get to fast transportation is horses, but even those will raise a few problems.

I don't think cars would work in survival mode, but I've thought about the possiblity of there being a driveable (not actually player controllable) car in story mode.

Grey Mother actually says that one would usually get from Milton to Perseverance Mills by car. As far as we know, Astrid is still gonna have access to the road leading there at the beginning of episode 3, so it's definitely possible that she'll try to get a car working. Yes, realistically the aurora would have fried some of the electrical components and made it impossible to use a car even when there is power, but it's already been established that the game doesn't follow real world logic here, we've already had a working radio and electric lock in episode 2.