Sled crafting

Wisdoom

One item I would like to see, specially in survival, is a sled.

The idea is that you are moving from location to location, and you can use that to transport stuff. The 30+5 kg of backpack is really small considering how clothes can also weight a lot. Even in Wintermute I find myself having to throw A LOT of stuff that I cannot carry with me.

I would love this too, seems like a great idea. Not only you could transport your stuff, but you could also ride it down the hill instead of running it down. That would be fun.

On 23. 12. 2018 at 11:26 AM, kristaok said:

a dog or the option to tame a wolf.

I don't think that would be possible. I love wolf companions in all kinds of games, but here it would be simply impossible to tame a wolf. In real life it probably took generations and generations, for which you simply don't have the time. Not to mention that the game's events made wolves aggresive and on auroras even more so. And since in the game everybody's dead for some time, there can't be any dogs alive. They wouldn't survive the weather and lack of food. But it would be awesome to have a dog. It could be option to start right away with a dog companion, though that would destroy the main idea of the game - to be completely and utterly alone.

Guest kristaok
1 hour ago, Samira827 said:

I would love this too, seems like a great idea. Not only you could transport your stuff, but you could also ride it down the hill instead of running it down. That would be fun.

I don't think that would be possible. I love wolf companions in all kinds of games, but here it would be simply impossible to tame a wolf. In real life it probably took generations and generations, for which you simply don't have the time. Not to mention that the game's events made wolves aggresive and on auroras even more so. And since in the game everybody's dead for some time, there can't be any dogs alive. They wouldn't survive the weather and lack of food. But it would be awesome to have a dog. It could be option to start right away with a dog companion, though that would destroy the main idea of the game - to be completely and utterly alone.

Yea I know the Aurora made the wolves aggressive but they are less aggressive when the Aurora is not happening, but even if that's not possible I still think the dog idea could work. The reason I think it could work is because since the redux with the story mode you are no longer completely alone, it would also not make sense that all dogs are just gone. I could understand most dogs being gone due to wolves, bears, etc. on the prowl but I still think there would be some dogs. Also there are certain breeds that would be able to withstand the cold; Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes, German Shepherds, and other thick haired breeds. Oh and there is Rabbits and Deer that the dogs could easily feast on, and they can also eat bits of the frozen dead human bodies found throughout the land.

Either way whether they implement a dog companion or not, I would still love to be able to at least have a sled to pull to hold more things because humans can pull more than they can carry.

18 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

A sled may work for flat surfaces, but what would happen to it when you're on any kind of side-hill?

Since you cannot jump in this game, (who knows why, hehehe), then most can be considered a flat surface. Now, if for example, you have to climb, I can think of 2 options:

1. The silliest would be to drop the content of the sled and go up/down with it, then go back down/up a couple of times to carry the rest
  2. If climbing down, you could have an extra rope in the sled and use that to take the sled to the bottom, then you go down.
    If climbing up, you could tie the rope to the sled and the other end to you, and pull it up once you are up.

Of course it requires further thought, but I think it can work, and would be a nice addition.

On 12/23/2018 at 7:26 AM, kristaok said:

I would love this and a dog or the option to tame a wolf.

I think this could be harder to implement but not impossible. Maybe you can starting feeding a wolf, but it gets tricky to do this well, because you would always have to have a chance of that attacking you. Also, if you reach a level of "friendship", it could defend you from other wolfs.

As you can see, it kind of spirals out of simply having a wolf pet :P

Also, for a sled, you would need several wolfs, you cannot expect 1 to carry you, heheheh.

@kristaok, I found the following in the latest Milto Mailbag (link to post after the quote)

On 12/21/2018 at 10:27 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

Question from @JeremiahJohnson:

Can't wait to be wearing my warm bunny hat this upcoming week. I recently just watched the movie Alpha. (Definitely check it out if you haven't already) You may have been previously asked this, but what do you think of the ability of taming a wolf to be your companion? It would take a long time and process of gaining trust but would definitely be worth the risk. Not to mention not feeling nearly as lonely with your wild furry feral lil buddy! Thank you Hinterland Studios for working extra hard to get this update out to us before the holidays. Merry Christmas and stay warm.

Hmm...it would be a huge amount of work. I don't think taming a Wolf would make sense, but perhaps a dog companion? I'm not sure we'd be able to pull it off. I do like the idea, but creating a good AI and meaningful mechanics so that it felt like a real relationship...that'd be a whole other game's worth of work!

Link:

Guest kristaok
37 minutes ago, Wisdoom said:

@kristaok, I found the following in the latest Milto Mailbag (link to post after the quote)

Link:

Thanks! :)

So a wolf is probably out of the question, and the dog is iffy... perhaps they could at least make a sled to pull since humans can usually pull more than they can carry. :P

Archived