Theory About Methusaleh

Guest kristaok

Guest kristaok

I am wondering if Methuselah could be Will, the name Methuselah means "man of the Spear" or "When he dies it will be sent (flood / destruction)". 

I been wondering since I first started playing the new redux if Will and Methuselah are the same, or he's all in Wills mind, or he is real... Either way it's eerie how the name means man of the spear, and Will wields the Bear Spear.

I have a theory that he is Slim wintermute

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Wintermute

Basketball playing super scientist who worked for Boeing's Skunk Works and disappeared sailing a boat in the approximate area in the real world where Great Bear Island should be. The body was never found. He made himself immortal, has the strength of a jeep and is as smart as a senile Einstein. Made a video on it when I discussed what wintermute means.

I like the "man of the spear" angle. I shall add that to my ever growing theory of how "Crystal Methuselah" (that's his stage name when he plays in his rock and roll band) is the ultimate bad ass. Methuselah is Metal.

BTW, they called him "The Tallest of the Tall Firs" As in Fir Tree? Fir wood all over the island? COINCIDENCE???

Well... yes... but I still think he's Urgel "Slim" Wintermute.

Going on the fact Grey Mother didnt know about him, then he managed to not only get from the Orca to in front of you down a mountain before you even stuck a rope on as well as knowing exactly what you did regarding Hobbs, I would say he is like the mysterious undertaker in Red Dead Redemption 1. He is there to judge certain people at pivotal moments in life when something can go one way or the other and are there to judge them or to simply observe.

Take a look at Jeremiah's behavior after telling the story of the bear. He is right down the earth, he sais something like: In every myth is some truth. I think this is the overall element of the storytelling in Wintemute. That means Methuselah is a real person, maybe a "survivor" who lives by himself, very old and has seen natural desasters, death and re-birth already in his life. MAybe even the Aurora effect accured years ago already and something similar happened - time will tell.

One more hint is the titel "Wintermute" itself. It's actually not the end of everything like in the flood or judgement day - it's more part of the natural cycle of birth-life-death. Wintermute is the feeling/silence in Wintertime when it seems everything that lived is now dying, but it's not the end because spring will come and with it life will return. Remember that it was planned to make 4 seasons in TlD. 

I wouldn't interpret things with Methuselah and other "mystical, spiritual, religious" things literally, but more in an metaphoric, open way with it's roots right down to the harsh reality of survival. It's more like the characters, just like in the real world, try to give answers to their questions and maybe reflect on their actions. For Will it's just an incident and everything will go to normal again because he hasn't experienced what the others have, so doesn't ask the questions and concentrates on Astrid. He doesn't see the connection between the Characters he met and the Situation he and Astrid are in.

I think it is more about Survival. Surviving the "Winter" till Spring comes. And this Survival is way more than just hunting or making a fire. We use the name Methuselah usually to point out that someone or something is really old. To become old you have to survive, to survive you have to understand and make the right decisions.

Yeah I immediately got some LOST vibes from when he said "You seem oddly familiar old man" 

But if he really is Will, then why would he be all wise about the apocalypse? Will doesn't seem to know much about it. I think he's just the cliche old wise guy character, but I like it that way. It would be kinda lame if he was all a figment of Will's imagination. Or if Will has been dead this whole time. That would suck even more. 

I like to think he's an omnipotent apocalypse god

23 hours ago, Skap said:

Guys it's obvious...

he's a wizard!

I mean he has a staff/cane, he has a beard, he can teleport, he is omniscient.... Obviously a wizard

Here's who Methuselah is (spoilers):  He's Gandalf, Odin, Deckard Cain, Merlin,  Abraham (Old Testament) and so on and so forth.  He's a nice enough implementation of the 'wise old wanderer' archetype, and although I look forward to meeting him again in Episode 3, I doubt we'll get more than cryptic hints at his backstory which pique our imaginations more than resolve our curiosity.

Archived