[question] How to craft in the updated game?

Sakeepa

Hello fellow survivors!
Since the new update hit the game I've been back in the wilderness and trying out the new animations and features that Hinderland has made. But I'm lost when it comes to crafting in Wintermute. Where do I find/earn blueprints or crafting recipes? I want that rabbit hat!

Cheers!

Nothing has changed with survival mode

In Wintermute most of the crafting recipes are unlocked by finding skill books and then doing the associated survival school quests. But there is absolutely no reason to craft anything. You can find excellent clothing as loot if you just follow the story and side quests. And check all the places. Contrary to what the loading screen says, crafted clothing is generally worse than what you can find.

5 hours ago, Serenity said:

Nothing has changed with survival mode

In Wintermute most of the crafting recipes are unlocked by finding skill books and then doing the associated survival school quests. But there is absolutely no reason to craft anything. You can find excellent clothing as loot if you just follow the story and side quests. And check all the places. Contrary to what the loading screen says, crafted clothing is generally worse than what you can find.

The wolfskin coat has merit in story mode, just for its chance to scare off wolves.

2 hours ago, Serenity said:

Scaring wolves is nice when it works, but it's not often enough to rely on it

Eh, all depends on whether you believe that a chance, at any % success, is better than 0% chance. And in Wintermute, you don;t have to deal with time constraints and Cabin Fever issues like you do in Survival mode. No permadeath, checkpoints, autosaves and manual saves. You can go back and redo it w/o making the coat if you decide it's not worth it. Personally, I rarely make them in Survival Mode, but will be making it in Wintermute. Just because- reason(s).

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Eh, all depends on whether you believe that a chance, at any % success, is better than 0% chance. 

Indeed, I never rely on it.  But if a wolf suddenly crests a nearby hill and spots me, I'd rather have the small chance that he turns tail, than no chance.  I always walk around with a flare or flare pistol equipped just in case, but if the coat spares me from having to use it, great.

On 12/21/2018 at 5:39 PM, ThePancakeLady said:

Personally, I rarely make them in Survival Mode, but will be making it in Wintermute. Just because- reason(s).

Oh, I make them in survival. Since the wolves come looking for you, it's usually pretty easy to get the materials pretty early on, once you get a weapon you can use to kill them. Mind you, I'll replace them as soon as I can, but IME it's usually the first coat you can make, often weeks before you can make the bear coat or moose cloak.

Archived