Jeremiah is Rude!

RuthlessDuck

I just killed the bear and had a pretty awful experience afterward. You go back to the cabin and Jeremiah tells you to go to the dam. And then, it seems, when all that is done he shoves you outside the cabin and locks the door. He apparently magically dumps all your stuff you left in the cabin into your inventory, which over-weighs me so much I can't even move. Then, he just locks his door. I dunno why the man has to be so rude!

The real problem tho is, it's super confusing, and for a good 15 minutes I just thought I was bugged out. It drops you far enough away from the door you can't get a 'Locked' message aiming at it, and you literally can't move because you weigh too much. There's no feedback you were kicked out or he returned your stuff, so I literally just thought I was bugged unable to move for some reason. It took me a long time trying to find unstuck commands and was even about to bug report being stuck or load a previous save when I noticed I had so much stuff in my inventory. By then I'm nearly freezing to death and doing a fast shuffle to try to dump enough inventory to find some firestuffs to warm up.

Of an otherwise pleasing experience the whole way, this was really substantially jarring and since I'm here now on the forums instead of playing, obviously hugely immersion breaking.

Why can't Jeremiah just say 'You should move on, friend' but leave his cabin unlocked for you to gather up what you need before moving on in a more sane way? Or even come back to gather the stuff up in a few trips if you want?

• Upvote 2

You beat me to starting this thread, RuthlessDuck, and I agree completely. First, props to the entire Hinterland team. Just finished the Redux episodes and really like the changes. Can't wait for Episode 3!

But yes, being unceremoniously dumped out of the cabin loaded down with nearly 300 lbs of gear was a bit of a shock. After fending off wolves and the bear in the Muskeg and being loaded down with wolf meat and salvaged gear, I was hoping to use the workbench to repair the crafted deerskin/wolfskin/rabbit skin clothing before heading off to carter. Instead you're just shoved out the door into the cold and locked out with no warning and no real reason. I had to leave a bunch of stuff in the snow and slooowwwlly hoof it over to the camp HQ to make the repairs. I'm really glad I did most of the side quests before proceeding to this point in the story... otherwise I'd have to make six trips to haul all of my stuff to some other base. This was especially jarring since the infini-fire, workbench, and location (somewhat centrally located including the muskeg region) incentivizes the player to base at the trapper's homestead.

To fix this, I would: 

1. Just don't lock the cabin. I don't see any reason why this would be necessary, and don't think it works in the context of the story. Sure Jeremiah's in a hurry to get his message out, but denying you access to his workbench/fire and loading you down with gear isn't exactly forward thinking.
  2. Make the storage bin outside the cabin have infinite space (or make it have a really really large capacity) and dump the contents of the cabin in there.
  3. Somehow incentivize the player to base elsewhere, or make it clear that this will happen so things can be relocated beforehand. 

This was the only real let down of the Redux, and it wasn't too big a deal since I had finished most of the quests already and had to drop a bunch of inventory to descend the rope in the dam anyway.

The only other "issue" I had was having to discover locations of field guides to access the craftable hide gear. I actually liked the idea of it being taught by the NPCs - but this is a minor nitpick. 

TL:DR version: Being kicked out of the cabin with 300lbs of gear after killing the bear sucks. Please change this. Otherwise, fantastic job with the Redux : ). 

• Upvote 1

Also, if you can't move because you are overloaded, maybe a message on the screen 'You can't move carrying this much' so I don't think the game is bugged, though I guess normally you have a sane series of events leading up to being that overloaded that you can deduce the problem without.

If you're running into an actual bug then please report it to our Support Portal. If you just don't like a story point or how a character behaves then that's feedback we'll take in but it's part of the story.

We will pass along that it's confusing to be unable to move due to having items (re)placed in your inventory suddenly.

• Upvote 1

Well, as a counter argument, I would point out how many complaints there was about the story "dragging". And yes, this is a story. You aren't in survival mode. If you have 300 lbs of gear, you are playing in survival mode, not story mode. The goal is to keep moving and finish the story, not have enough gear to live for a thousand years.

Now, admittedly, there are better thematic ways to handle this, but on the other hand, I'd rather they stuck to their guns and kept pushing the player forward, rather then letting people linger around and then complain it took too long. Which is an actual argument I had from someone. They spent way too much time gathering up everything they could scrap and put it in a big pile, then complained that story mode took too long.

So, half a dozen of one, six of the other.

The abrupt eviction was a bit jarring, but fits the narrative. Jeremiah is a hermit by choice, and as soon as the mutual need is resolved, he wants his life (and his privacy)  back. 

But I mean he lets you keep the rifle. So that's pretty awesome of him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I was really off by that too, I didn't have spear clothes and the bear left me almost naked (bad planning on me, but I never thought that was a possibility). So, half naked with 80kg (around 170lbs) on me and I could not move either. I am transitioning all stuff to the cabin as well.

8 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

The abrupt eviction was a bit jarring, but fits the narrative. Jeremiah is a hermit by choice, and as soon as the mutual need is resolved, he wants his life (and his privacy)  back. 

But I mean he lets you keep the rifle. So that's pretty awesome of him. 

Both great points.

McKenzie wasn't really his friend, he was useful at that particular time. Had Jeremiah suddenly warmed up to Will and started sharing some brewskis and farts over the campfire the character would feel shallow. A hermit is a hermit!

9 hours ago, admin said:

If you're running into an actual bug then please report it to our Support Portal. If you just don't like a story point or how a character behaves then that's feedback we'll take in but it's part of the story.

We will pass along that it's confusing to be unable to move due to having items (re)placed in your inventory suddenly.

I didn't realize that this was part of the story, I haven't reached that part yet so I can be prepared for it. Just wanted to hear your opinion, thanks for the feedback.

25 minutes ago, Serenity said:

I don't see the point of moving all your stuff either. Just pack some essentials and move to the camp office. There is no way you really need everything you collected so far

As the hoarder that I am, I cannot agree with you :D

Guest kristaok

Yea I honestly wasn't expecting that... I was like geee... thanks... I just killed the bear for the old fart and I got zippo, zilch, nada to show for it! I at least should have got some meat, but then again it was a demon bear! :o

• 1 year later...

Tbf, the bear was hampering the both of you, had you not killed it you wouldve been mauled before you could get to perseverance. He also let you use the radio. A radio which, mind you, is a lifeline for him. I'm also of the opinion that due tothis secrecy and disregard, along with the repeated mention of military equipment and the code word, he might not be just a trapper

I found it jarring but pretty funny. I do think the story needed to take the infinite fire away from you. Maybe dumping your stuff in a box outside would make more sense. But I did get a good laugh at the ungrateful ole hermit booting me out.

An NPC in the next episode is much more friendly. :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 9:45 AM, Neuromancer said:

You beat me to starting this thread, RuthlessDuck, and I agree completely. First, props to the entire Hinterland team. Just finished the Redux episodes and really like the changes. Can't wait for Episode 3!

But yes, being unceremoniously dumped out of the cabin loaded down with nearly 300 lbs of gear was a bit of a shock. After fending off wolves and the bear in the Muskeg and being loaded down with wolf meat and salvaged gear, I was hoping to use the workbench to repair the crafted deerskin/wolfskin/rabbit skin clothing before heading off to carter. Instead you're just shoved out the door into the cold and locked out with no warning and no real reason. I had to leave a bunch of stuff in the snow and slooowwwlly hoof it over to the camp HQ to make the repairs. I'm really glad I did most of the side quests before proceeding to this point in the story... otherwise I'd have to make six trips to haul all of my stuff to some other base. This was especially jarring since the infini-fire, workbench, and location (somewhat centrally located including the muskeg region) incentivizes the player to base at the trapper's homestead.

To fix this, I would: 

1. Just don't lock the cabin. I don't see any reason why this would be necessary, and don't think it works in the context of the story. Sure Jeremiah's in a hurry to get his message out, but denying you access to his workbench/fire and loading you down with gear isn't exactly forward thinking.
  2. Make the storage bin outside the cabin like large toys have infinite space plushies (or make it have a really really large capacity) and dump the contents of the cabin in there.
  3. Somehow incentivize the player to base elsewhere, or make it clear that this will happen so things can be relocated beforehand. 

This was the only real let down of the Redux, and it wasn't too big a deal since I had finished most of the quests already and had to drop a bunch of inventory to descend the rope in the dam anyway.

The only other "issue" I had was having to discover locations of field guides to access the craftable hide gear. I actually liked the idea of it being taught by the NPCs - but this is a minor nitpick. 

TL:DR version: Being kicked out of the cabin with 300lbs of gear after killing the bear sucks. Please change this. Otherwise, fantastic job with the Redux : ). 

you are saying right, this is not your mistake!

eh. I didn't have a bunch of gear stock piled there, so that wasn't an issue. All through Wintermute I'm trying to play it high and tight. 

As for getting kicked out and locked out. LOL! I got a big laugh out of it. I think out loud I said "You sonofa..." and my husband in the next room asks what happened and I replied "Captain Ahab just locked me out!!" then he barks back a good laugh! I liked it, good belly laugh I say

At least he spoke like a real person, all through episode one I'd exclaim aloud " Who talks like this!?"  I'm looking at you Grey Mother and Methuselah >.> bunch of rambling weirdos... (yeah yeah, crazy hermits... still liked the NPCs in later chapters infinitely more)