Need Help, Redux, Spoiler!

MueckE

EP2 SPOILERS!!!!!

I need help. I'm stuck in the cave with bear and can't kill him. I've got my spear back and fought him at least 10 times now but he won''t die or i just can't find a way out. The first two fights i used stims, so now i have no stamina left (still can fight, just a little bit more tricky).

So i fight back, win, then he takes off for a minute, and then repeat. I've done this now so often that i don't know what to do anymore. Please Help.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My problem is that he doesn't even show up, I can just walk up and grab the spear. I think he's stuck somewhere in the cave. 

Could be a bug on your end as well. Because every other time I fought him at the radio towers it was always 3 stabs and then he'd run away. This time might be more, but I have  trick. Use the little crouch spots around marked with glowing moss. You can wait in there to regain stamina. 

Thanks everyone for your posts about this issue. It sounds like there are 2 issues here:

1) The bear encounter is not finishing after 3 successful spearings

2) The bear is not entering the final area of the cave

If you have experienced the first issue, we'd be interested in seeing your Session logs. Information on how to locate them is posted here.

If you have experienced the 2nd issue and manage to get a video, please link us to it or email the file to us at support(at)hinterlandgames(dot)com.

If you have already done either of these, thank you so much for your help! We have a lot of Support messages coming in right now are a bit behind, but should be able to get to yours soon. :) 

I've reached the final cave and the bear is there - my issue is that when I spear the bear, I can't get the "fight bar" past 50% max. Usually it won't go past 20%. I've tried everything suggested on this forum and on Steam's forum - mashing the button super fast, slowing down, hitting it at half-second intervals, switching from controller to keyboard, etc. and nothing will get the bar to 100%. I know that you have to have 3 successful fights with the bear to beat it, so I'm basically blocked from proceeding any further in Wintermute until this bug is fixed. 

2 minutes ago, devamadhu said:

I've reached the final cave and the bear is there - my issue is that when I spear the bear, I can't get the "fight bar" past 50% max. Usually it won't go past 20%. I've tried everything suggested on this forum and on Steam's forum - mashing the button super fast, slowing down, hitting it at half-second intervals, switching from controller to keyboard, etc. and nothing will get the bar to 100%. I know that you have to have 3 successful fights with the bear to beat it, so I'm basically blocked from proceeding any further in Wintermute until this bug is fixed. 

What's your fatigue level at?  If you are exhausted, you will have a much harder time raising the bar than if you are well rested.  The first part of the cave, where you climb up the roots to that safe spot, you might be able to take a nap there to recover.  I'm not sure if the game will allow that or not though.  I haven't tried it.

On 12/23/2018 at 3:40 PM, ajb1978 said:

What's your fatigue level at?  If you are exhausted, you will have a much harder time raising the bar than if you are well rested.  The first part of the cave, where you climb up the roots to that safe spot, you might be able to take a nap there to recover.  I'm not sure if the game will allow that or not though.  I haven't tried it.

My stamina bar is at 50%, which jumps closer to 75% when I use one of the stims. I'm not able to rest, which seems to be normal for that section of the game. I've seen many posts about the specific fight bar issue I mentioned, so I don't think it's due to stamina. It seems like the issue started after an older update took place a couple of years ago. It's made it nearly impossible to fight off wolves as well. 

Alright so prior to this cave fight I am a stunning 0-6 in using the bear spear right.

How in the heck am I supposed to even use it?

I know I kind of aim/plant it in front of me...but after that then what? Anytime I've managed to plant it he's simply wrecked me...I've never even gotten to a point where I am filling an attack bar.

You need a full stamina bar, press left mouse to ready the spear in front of you and once the bear engages, fill the bar by left clicking. The crucial part is timing, it takes a good second to ready the spear and you can only hold it for 5-6 seconds before you run out of stamina. 

So be sure to bring out the spear early enough before the bear reaches you, but not so early that you are out of stamina before the fight beginns. That's the hole trick and it takes 3 successful fights to kill him for good.

1 hour ago, milosh said:

You need a full stamina bar, press left mouse to ready the spear in front of you and once the bear engages, fill the bar by left clicking. The crucial part is timing, it takes a good second to ready the spear and you can only hold it for 5-6 seconds before you run out of stamina. 

So be sure to bring out the spear early enough before the bear reaches you, but not so early that you are out of stamina before the fight beginns. That's the hole trick and it takes 3 successful fights to kill him for good.

Thank you.

It just seems like I never have time to get it even set before he's on me. Every single time at the towers by the time I have the spear down he's already rushed me...and then well that's it.

It's like I get rick-rolled every time I even try...so I'm not expecting anything different in this awesome cave.

I killed him without any stamina (second and thirs fight). I used the stim for the first figth, but then had no stamina for the second and third. The only diffrence was that i couldn't hold the spear up so long and had to time it - but the mouse smashing was the same.

I wanted to clarify - by "stamina bar" I was referring to the health bar in the bottom left of the screen. I wasn't talking about the bar that comes up around the spear icon when I equip/aim the spear at the bear. I have now fought the bear dozens of times, often hitting him with the spear extremely quickly.

My issue is that left clicking or pressing A on my controller *does not* fill up the fight bar, regardless of how healthy I am, or how quickly I deploy the spear. I have not won the battle with the bear a single time out of dozens of attempts. This issue has also come up around wolves, and I am unable to fight them off at all as a result, regardless of whatever weapon I have available. So it seems like a bug with the game not reading my controller (or keyboard when I've tried it) correctly.

Though i haven't played since my last post...I can absolutely guarantee that not filling up the fight bar will be my problem as well.

I haven't filled a fight bar...well ever...during a fight.

The only time I ever filled a fight bar was to pull the shard out in Predux (which helped me with my timing and was removed go figure)...so I'm pretty much screwed.

22 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

Thank you.

You're welcome, I've posted that but for some reason when I was logged in via my phone I was posting as milosh.

Once you get the spear, be sure to have some distance and make the bear notice you. He will often stand up on his hind legs and you need to start readying the spear (left click) just before he falls back on all fours and charges you. In my failed attempts I waited for him to get back down before pressing left mouse and was too late, he got to me before my spear was fully extended. That's why I wrote a full stamina (sprint) bar is needed because the instant you ready the spear the stamina circle depletes (I'm speaking about the circle that pop ups when you press left shift to sprint, not the fatigue circle which shows how tired you are).

1. So, wait for bear to stand on his rears
2. count to one or two
3. left click and hold
4. when the bear attacks and the fight bar comes up, smash left button

Rinse & repeat 3 times and you're done, the bear as well ;)

3 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

Even if I fail to fill the damn bar?

Which seems highly highly likely since I can never fill the bar.

I had to actually hold my mouse with my left hand, while frantically tapping the mouse button with my right index finger.  Worked MUCH better.

Archived