Graphics glitches under Linux

stratvox

I'm experiencing graphics glitches on all my linux machines. They are running the latest'n'greatest from nVidia, so I'm pretty sure that's not it... but I did update one of the machines to version 415 from the graphics-drivers ppa. 

Here's a pic to give a bit of an idea of what I'm talking about:

screen_0254b578-26b2-4790-a8dd-df4b3da77636.thumb.png.511ae951267648f15b4ea476f08ea48b.png

As you can see there are artifacts all over the place. I loaded up my current run where I'm holed up at Misanthropes. Indoors things seemed to be all right, but when I stepped outside:

screen_e0a42b57-a2d6-4442-a532-8a5fdfef55a9.thumb.png.67fef81f2c7896362a65065aacc3a932.png

Not too sure what's causing this; I've tried a few different things to get this resolved, but so far I've got bupkes. Is anyone else seeing this on linux?

14 minutes ago, admin said:

Please report this on our Support Portal at thelongdark.com/support

Thank you. 

Done.

16 minutes ago, ppedro said:

Yes, that's exactly what it looks like. Argh. Unfortunately the -force-vulkan causes the game to glitch out even more spectacularly here; while with the little squares the game's technically playable, using force-vulkan renders the game completely unplayable.

Glad to know I'm not the only one seeing this. Hopefully @admin will be able to get this fixed soon. I really want to try the redux!

Just as a point, I'm linux only at home (I haven't run Windows in over ten years) and this game is currently not playable. I'd really appreciate a fast fix for this. I understand that there's the issue of how long Unity will take to fix their bug, but I know that there's a LONG list of games this bug is affecting, so I'm hoping it'll get fixed soon. @ppedro has the link to the bug report at Unity: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/linux-nvidia-graphical-corruption-in-many-games-possible-regression. I have an account there and gave it a vote. Currently it has five votes total for priority... if anyone else here cares to help a brother out they could go there and vote for it.

@Raphael van Lierop if there's anything I/we can do to help get Unity to prioritise this problem please let us know.

1 hour ago, Meat said:

I'm thankfully not having these issues at all. Running nVidia 415 on the 4.19 kernel (Arch).

Hm. I'm on the 4.15 kernel. I put nvidia-drivers-415 on one of my machines but it didn't fix it.

Might have to see how much trouble it would be to upgrade the kernel on this box.

Some dicking around later...

Went to https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.19/ to get the kernel files. After that I grabbed nvidia 415 off the graphics-drivers ppa. They haven't set up All Of The Things yet so I had to grab the dependencies by hand in the same command. Here are the commands to install from the folder I put all the kernel files into:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb (linux-headers-4.19.0-041900_4.19.0-041900.201810221809_all.deb linux-image-unsigned-4.19.0-041900-lowlatency_4.19.0-041900.201810221809_amd64.deb linux-headers-4.19.0-041900-lowlatency_4.19.0-041900.201810221809_amd64.deb  linux-modules-4.19.0-041900-lowlatency_4.19.0-041900.201810221809_amd64.deb)

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-415 nvidia-utils-415 xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-415 libnvidia-cfg1-415 libnvidia-ifr1-415 libnvidia-decode-415:i386 libnvidia-encode-415:i386 libnvidia-ifr1-415:i386 libnvidia-fbc1-415:i386

For that second command to work (for those that are unfamiliar with Ubuntu), it will only work if you subscribe to the graphics-driver ppa, which can be found at: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa. Tastes great, less filling.

I'm about to repunt. Hopefully I'll be back soon to report success.

Hopefully it won't be much later with a tale of woe ;):D 

Well, my computer came up no problem, but the problem in the game persists here, so kernel 4.19 and nvidia 415 are not a panacea.

Interesting pic I got:

screen_693c80b5-1273-4957-b20c-7300ae6f34f8_hi.thumb.png.6f1d524cb805ee2e0d0edcf5e4fe3d2f.png

It looks to me like it's the tree billboard.

As an aside, the new boles on the trees look fantastic. I'm really looking forward to seeing a fix for this so I can check it all out, and jump back in to Wintermute. I'm not going do the redux until this is fixed.

Yeah... got this computer last year on boxing day. Saved a couple grand buying the components and building it myself on that day. Canada Computers is awesome on boxing day. Awesome.

And I think that's the end of the road here. I'm going to have to wait until the Unity folks get their fix out; I understand it's affecting a LOT of games. It's been a week since it was reported to them, so hopefully it'll be soon.

Hmmm... I should turn off updates on KSP in steam, just in case.

Guest jeffpeng

Quickly ran the game on my gentoo partition (which is my work space) with 410.78 installed and didn't have the glitches. Upgraded to 415.18 (latest gentoo stable) and could witness firsthand what you guys mean. Kernel is a 4.14.81 with ck patchset and a few other patches by myself, but all of them related to the FUSE support, so I consider the kernel mostly "mainline" in the parts related to rendering 3D. Maybe downgrading to 410 will help some of you guys - maybe not. Sadly I cannot provide support how to downgrade on other distributions as I wouldn't know how. Gentoo is its own strange micro cosmos. 

2 hours ago, ppedro said:

@stratvox 

Hopefully this helps. 

I have to ask, where did you see nvidia claiming "it's not us"?

That totally worked, thank you!

On their developer portal's forum. Pointing out a few key facts, including that it affected old revisions of their drivers which had worked fine before with older revisions of Unity when it was reported there a few weeks back.

Nice!

8 hours ago, stratvox said:

Pointing out a few key facts, including that it affected old revisions of their drivers which had worked fine before with older revisions of Unity when it was reported there a few weeks back

But doesn't that mean that it's a regression in Unity's OpenGL support and not a problem with the drivers?

Archived