Saving

Askanas

One think that kind of bugs me in TLD is the inability to save a game when you quit. It can be pretty annoying to lose your progress after the last save or are forced to play until you cans sleep or enter a building. There is also a good reason to have this mandatory. As it is now, in some situations you can quite easy quit if a wolf starts charging you or you fall from a tree bridge (I tested this). If the game would auto save when you quit, this wouldn't be possible.

Often that is fine indeed, however if your clothes are wet, the sleeping bag doesn't get above freezing temperature or with animals with sharp teeth around, I wouldn't recommend that. :wolf: Also indeed you lose an hour.

Of course all of this isn't game breaking, but it would be a nice thing to have.

56 minutes ago, Askanas said:

Often that is fine indeed, however if your clothes are wet, the sleeping bag doesn't get above freezing temperature or with animals with sharp teeth around, I wouldn't recommend that. :wolf: Also indeed you lose an hour.

Of course all of this isn't game breaking, but it would be a nice thing to have.

The inability to stop time with a quick-save has been a hallmark of this game from the beginning.
A pause button and a quick-save option could be a cool thing IRL also, but that is not usually how a survival situation works.
If your coffee needs a refill or if you simply wish to collect your thoughts, the ESC key to the game menu is an option.

Playing this game with it's lack of a save option may require more time to fully appreciate...Welcome to the forum my friend. :coffee:

2 hours ago, s7mar7in said:

The inability to stop time with a quick-save has been a hallmark of this game from the beginning.
A pause button and a quick-save option could be a cool thing IRL also, but that is not usually how a survival situation works.
If your coffee needs a refill or if you simply wish to collect your thoughts, the ESC key to the game menu is an option.

Playing this game with it's lack of a save option may require more time to fully appreciate...Welcome to the forum my friend. :coffee:

Okay, that's totally not what I meant, actually rather the opposite.

What I'd like is a automatic/mandatory save if you quit the game, so you still got the one save like now. So you cannot undo anything you did wrong by just quitting and loading your old saves. Kind of like an Ironman-mode.

Because as now you can jump off a cliff, press ESC, quit and load your last save. Which would indeed be very cool IRL. 

6 hours ago, Askanas said:

One think that kind of bugs me in TLD is the inability to save a game when you quit. It can be pretty annoying to lose your progress after the last save or are forced to play until you cans sleep or enter a building. There is also a good reason to have this mandatory. As it is now, in some situations you can quite easy quit if a wolf starts charging you or you fall from a tree bridge (I tested this). If the game would auto save when you quit, this wouldn't be possible.

We agree that an escape  from the game could be an exploit, and maybe it should have been part of my previous reply post.
There has also been many discussions from those who wish they could start and stop playing when RL calls, (and that is also understandable).

IMO, the system used is a good one. If you suffer an injury from a fall or an animal attack the game generates an autosave in that moment.
And, if you walk outside the shelter and hear a bear and use the esc key as a "panic button", then fine, but you know you have utilized a game exploit.

Please know that both halves of the OP have merit, (and it was not my intent to diminish either idea).
The current game save system is also very good, (and a player would have to go out of their way to exploit the permadeath system).

Hopefully, this reply is worded better and makes more sense my friend. :coffee:

1 minute ago, NardoLoopa said:

One important aspect of the current system: if you get stuck, you can quit out and start at your last save-point without losing your game to permadeath.

Okay, never thought about that. You'd have to wait for a patch then to get free and it would be pretty annoying. 

1 minute ago, Askanas said:

You'd have to wait for a patch then to get free and it would be pretty annoying.

This also brings to mind a fun forum post from this Fall that talked about how a RL lightning storm and power outage ended a run in TLD...but here again, the in-game progress lost was small compared to the total run. :coffee:

On 18.12.2018 at 7:43 PM, NardoLoopa said:

One important aspect of the current system: if you get stuck, you can quit out and start at your last save-point without losing your game to permadeath.

copy your latest "safe" savefile into a backup folder, if everything goes to hell but there was a savepoint in between just overwrite with the old save, disable cloud of course.

I just tested my own idea. I was mistaken; you have to pass time for a full hour before it will save. After the pass time completes itself, you’ll see the hatchet. In any event, you’re not saving the lost hour. The save comes immediately following the passed time. 

13 hours ago, Fuccimama said:

In any event, you’re not saving the lost hour.

This post reminded me of another game concept related to the passing of time.

The passing of an hours game time in a matter of real time seconds is an important concept now for success in TLD.

As an example; while cooking, let's say time required is (30) minutes.
So we multi-task by mending some clothes which requires let's say (15) minutes...but the repair fails in the first second real time.
No problem, there is a good supply of cloth and sewing kits, so we try again...but fail again and another second of real time passes.

You can see where this is going; in real life time you have been cooking for (2) seconds but in game time (30) minutes. 

Now if we click to repair, only seconds pass in real time, but the in game cooking time is now (45) minutes.

If we multi task using sewing repairs while cooking we must keep this in mind. 
Pre-Vigilant Flame; losing some in game daylight due to failed repairs might not be a big loss...maybe not even noticed. 
But, fail too many repairs while passing time cooking and your food could be ruined in a few seconds.

Just some food for thought my friends. :coffee: 

What you say is true, but there’s a wonderful flip-side to that coin. Do you need to stave off cabin fever? Are you exhausted? Do you need water? Is it wicked cold out? The opportunity to multitask is wonderfully balanced. A cooking pot of snow takes long enough to boil, that you can sleep for 2 hours and it won’t be boiled away. Keep that fire roaring, and cook 20l of water while you sleep! 

Archived