The Long Dark Updated to V1.41 [43925] – REDUX

Admin

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Hinterland
15 hours ago, Captain n Chest Hair said:

I second this statement. 

I bought this game on release, but owning a 4k HDR monitor for my xbox one x, decided to wait due to how poor the game looks at this resolution. 

I was desperately hoping with this update the promised xbox enhancements would arrive. I wanted so much to start playing this game this Christmas. 

I think that it is very poor behaviour to promise and claim something and then not to deliver it. Especially, if it seems from your own statements, that it would appear you were in May, able to implement this patch for us xbox one x users.  

We haven't delivered it...yet. When MS decided to roll out the Xbox One X, they asked all of us if we planned to support it eventually, to which we replied "yes". There was never any specific time commitment. 

We'll release it when we're ready. 

• Hinterland
7 hours ago, MueckE said:

Just finished Episode 2. I was extremely disappointed by the first version of Wintermute. The Narration was juust horrible and killed the game. Now Redux has basicly fixed everything.

The dialogues are good, the characters make sense, i can have empathy, what i do makes sense, the pace of the game is spot on, you have the freedom to play faster or slower, cutscenes and audio are top notch!

There are a few bugs, a few critical ones that prevent people from playing proberly but this was expected and will be fixed ASAP, like it always has been. The UI changes for cooking are also questionable and could've been testet here before the release. I have not played Survial Mode yet, so i can only speak about Wintermute.

After the bugs have been fixed, the game is easily triple A material, very very nice. In my opinion, the key was to clearly seperate survival mode from story mode this time and mainly concentrate on the story in story mode. Although i normally play Interloper, here i played on easy and i enjoyed every minute of the game. All changes to characters, dialogues, action, quests, story, turned out to be amazing. Tank you!

Glad you're happy with the changes!

It's really interesting to me to see comments go from "the story was horrible" to "the story is great". I wrote both stories and directed both versions of the two episodes. Certainly I approached some things differently the second time around, partly with the benefit of seeing the game out in the world and also partly with the benefit of being able to step back and -- with new tech, tools, and people -- come at some story challenges with new solutions in mind. 

For what it's worth, I'm proud of both versions of WINTERMUTE. I do think the first iteration on the episodes was less conventional. The Redux version a bit more what you would expect of the story. It's been an interesting process!

20 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

We haven't delivered it...yet. When MS decided to roll out the Xbox One X, they asked all of us if we planned to support it eventually, to which we replied "yes". There was never any specific time commitment. 

We'll release it when we're ready. 

Thanks Raphael for still planning on releasing the Xbox One X enhancements. Sorry for all the “disappointments” early, I have taken a breather and was only only wanting this awesome game to look its best when I really dived into it. After playing redux and having not gotten very far before redux, I enjoyed the opening song and intro as well as all the added info helping me get a feel for the game. I had several difficult and frustrating spots before redux trying to reach Milton and I found it well balanced now. I didn’t have an issue with the story before but like I said I had only gotten to Milton pre redux so I don’t know much of it. I like the new button selections with cooking and I no longer accidentally eat raw meat. The UI is fine but like others have said the arrows could be a little further away from the circles or better yet, I say make them turn blue when gaining and red when lowering, or have that as an option. Love the new buffs. A choice to turn off the loading hints is the way to go. I also experienced one moment of blue screen but i haven’t had it since.

Loving the update and I know I’ll love the 4K and HDR when they arrive!

What's interesting is that the story and the dialogue aren't radically different. The basics are still the same. But with some subtle changes it turned into something very different. Both Grey Mother and Jeremiah aren't arrogant, dismissive and manipulative jerks anymore. That and the mandatory Survival School quest is what turned me off the most initially.

Same with Astrid. The additions there aren't much. But just adding some stuff about what she did in Milton makes her behavior less strange.

The introduction of the aurora is a lot better. Previously it was immersion breaking with you possibly stumbling in the dark while holding a torch. Now it's also far bigger threat.

The bear stuff is mostly great. Instead of being just some white whale for Jeremiah he is a real threat to the player now and it's clear why he has to be killed.

The radio tower quest is nice, though the repeated attacks and possible mauling was a bit much maybe. One attack at the middle tower would sufficed, given what comes later.

The final fight is nice in theory, but glitchy and needs at least one more save point.

Still not liking the ending much though. Maybe in context with what comes next and knowing who that guys it makes more sense. But just getting knocked out and then waiting for the next episode isn't that great. For me just leaving the door would have been better.

• Hinterland
4 minutes ago, Brandon Goeringer said:

Thanks Raphael for still planning on releasing the Xbox One X enhancements. Sorry for all the “disappointments” early, I have taken a breather and was only only wanting this awesome game to look its best when I really dived into it. After playing redux and having not gotten very far before redux, I enjoyed the opening song and intro as well as all the added info helping me get a feel for the game. I had several difficult and frustrating spots before redux trying to reach Milton and I found it well balanced now. I didn’t have an issue with the story before but like I said I had only gotten to Milton pre redux so I don’t know much of it. I like the new button selections with cooking and I no longer accidentally eat raw meat. The UI is fine but like others have said the arrows could be a little further away from the circles or better yet, I say make them turn blue when gaining and red when lowering, or have that as an option. Love the new buffs. A choice to turn off the loading hints is the way to go. I also experienced one moment of blue screen but i haven’t had it since.

Loving the update and I know I’ll love the 4K and HDR when they arrive!

Right now one of the things holding the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro enhancements is performance. We are waiting for a long-promised update from Unity that is meant to dramatically improve terrain performance, which we believe will really help the game's performance in general. On most platforms we have already maxed out performance in some of our regions because there is so much stuff in there. But we are very hopeful that with these improvements from Unity, we'll be able to achieve high performance while also enabling the extra visual bells and whistles to make the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro version look much better. We hope that we'll have this update from Unity early in the new year, and we'll try to complete the enhancement then. I don't have an ETA yet but when we have a firmer idea, we'll communicate it out.

7 hours ago, ltnshinysides said:

Comments all seem to be valid. I just want to say, although I'm currently gaming on windows, props to Hinterland for supporting Linux!!!! If I could play every game on Linux I highly doubt my Windows environment would ever get booted again. Appreciate the Linux Love. Also wanted to say I hope all the reported bugs and issues get addressed but props again for tackling multiple platforms, operating systems and forms of distribution.

Jumping on that:

If you're a linux user with an nvidia GPU, please test the game and file a bug report :).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the more we are reporting, the more Hinterland can help and weigh in with Unity to fix the current matters. Unity and nvidia are supposed to be partners, and Unity is aware of the bugs in their new engine since at least two months. Other games are impacted, you can report to their devs also.

Hotfixes are already coming in, good job and have fun for the next ones ! :P

8 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Glad you're happy with the changes!

It's really interesting to me to see comments go from "the story was horrible" to "the story is great". I

After the first release, i suggested to make the bear hunt the way you did it now. These changes make the situation and what the characters say believeable, make story and gameplay consistent. At some point, Will says something like: "shadowed memories" to grey mother (cant remember exectly) and refers to her beeing an old senil lady, what is absolutly ok, but makes her human. She doesn't force you to anything anymore. The situation is diffrent because Will has to get food not to be able to hear her story, but otherwise she soon would be dead, he needs to eat too and she is the only one who can help him get out.

I gathered the radio parts because of the introduction of "Perseverence Mills",  the chance to avoid the deadly trip and just call for information. Not because jeremiah has a massage, not because otherwise he wouldn't tell me what i need to know just to find out he knows nothing. Meeting Methuselah and Hobbs was really nice. It is the kind of "Events" that broke the boredom of fetch quests - actually i didn't feel that i had to do such a quest anyway.

I could go on and on with this, just everything regarding the storytelling, quests, envirometal storytelling, events and dialogues not only have improved, but are absolutly fantastic.

Again, the key is that the game doesn't force me to do something stupid that i don't want, it's not an tutorial game for survival mode, sectrets about the bigger story stay in the dark - but i found out is satisfying enough for the moment because the "smaller" story i play, at the moment, is a diffrrent one. Wintermute is it's own game and has little to do with survival mode - and this gives it the space it needed to be good. Wintermute Redux is amazing!

6 hours ago, Hawk said:

Last time TLD was updated, if I remember right it was almost two weeks before GOG got off their butts and released it, and that was back when GOG still sold TLD. No telling how long it will take this time.

Interestingly enough, Urban Games released an update to Transport Fever a day after Redux was released. I download the TPF update from GOG this morning.

I don't believe this is a Hinterland issue. I thinks it's GOG's falut all the way.

Yeah, I tend to agree that this might rather be GoG's fault. But I think it's important to give feedback to Hinterland people as well so they can perhaps get in touch with GoG to solve this.

On 18.12.2018 at 11:56 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

You can interact with each cookable surface, as you could before. I didn't say the interaction was the same as before.

Well in that case you may want to read the original complaint again.

It wasn't that the interaction is impossible now, but that it is different.
More specifically, that using a CookingPotItem requires an additional click to make a distinction which seems to make no difference, because both lead to the same interface.

Not sure if this is right forum for this, but first off... I love the new look, sound and feel of the udates!!. Secondly... I'm only playing sandbox at the moment on Xbox One and I have a problem. When I go to any work bench, I cannot craft a bow or arrow. The craft menu while not scroll down to the bottom.

Did I miss something in the release notes? Or did something change I'm not aware of? Or was it an update issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hawk

Hey, just thought I'd chime in since the devs are so responsive.

I am a long-time player of tld. I think I picked up the game towards the end 2014, maybe early 2015.

I am generally enjoying redux...with one glaring exception. I too suffer from extreme blue-tint. I find it pretty distracting- especially when searching cars. See image. 

I am also plaing on Xbox One. 

20181220_123607_HDR.jpg

• Hinterland
1 hour ago, Serendipity said:

Hey, just thought I'd chime in since the devs are so responsive.

I am a long-time player of tld. I think I picked up the game towards the end 2014, maybe early 2015.

I am generally enjoying redux...with one glaring exception. I too suffer from extreme blue-tint. I find it pretty distracting- especially when searching cars. See image. 

I am also plaing on Xbox One. 

20181220_123607_HDR.jpg

We have a fix for this and will get it out on console as quickly as we can -- we just need to get it through Cert.

7 hours ago, JeremiahJohnson said:

They released another update after Redux to fix some of the problems?? I dont know until I can take my PS4 somewhere with internet.

They released two hotfixes already. You can be informed and check the changelogs in the "News and Updates" section.
http://www.hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/21905-the-long-dark-hotfixed-to-v143-44083/

I noticed a few changes in mountain town survival mode. The rope behind the main cottage is gone so there is no fast way up the mountain. There is no way up to the antenna that I could discover either. 

I haven't found a single moose in mountain town either even though the custom setting is set to very high.

I've reread my previous reaction as well as giving a bit more time to the new update to grow on me. My reaction might have been a bit tough but then so were my first impressions.

I was afraid that the blue tint is the way it is on purpose, not thinking that the game might not be acting as intended. Well I'm happy to hear that a fix is already in the tubes. As for the performance hit, I've noticed that it happens whenever I stare at the ground outside. The lower I look, the lower the framerate. I can get 50 fps looking up and it gradually goes down to 20 while I stare at my feet. It's particularly noticeable while gathering sticks or when looking down at a fire while cooking. I guess that's not how the game is supposed to perform as well so I'm hoping for a fix possibly soon.

Thanks for the love and support !

On 12/19/2018 at 1:41 PM, palbi said:

This is a good idea, though I can't see loading times increase - maybe because I have the game on SSD. But what I see (only in Milton Town so far) that the Region has been changed here and there, some of my past paths are blocked now by rocks. Maybe this was one of the reasons of the warning to move stuff from some regions?

The new story mode path works wonderfully, but the map changes made to enable it really ruin Milton as a location in Survival mode, in my lonely opinion. 

Before, you had both the rope climb a short distance behind Grey Mother's house, or you could follow the vine climbs/river path down to the bridge. They were stamina-intensive, but time-efficient - and given how lousy Mountain Town is with wolves, alternate routes in this area were absolutely essential. The river path also gave you fairly safe access to a second rabbit/cattail area under the bridge (at the cost of being more distant; the midpoint cave was actually important for warming up with, since the trip was long enough that you couldn't make it without a pit stop with early-game clothes.) 

Without these two access paths, the only way to get up on that ridgeline over Milton - and to the cave transition to Hushed River Valley, for that matter - is to bypass no less than five wolf spawns (starting from Grey Mother's house - the ones outside the bridge by Milton, the ones in the wood lot area between the bridge and the church, the spawn behind the church, the spawn on the road between the church and the trailer.) Six, if you're heading to the bridge - or rather, twelve, since your only way back is the way you came. It's no longer consistent with how map paths and access tend to go in other regions.

But what really made Milton special before - and worth visiting, despite the high difficulty of packing out loot due to the rope climbs and the absolute horde of wolves - is the hunting. The pond above the rope climb spawned moose and the bridge spawns a bear, and both have a relatively direct, sheltered route back to Grey Mother's house. It was far from safe - I was attacked twice within steps of Grey Mother's porch; Milton's wolves pulled in on me by scent - but it was better than most other areas. Plus, both spawn areas offered a good vantage point for the shot - on the bridge, you could shoot and dive into a car immediately, and the moose area you could perch on the big rock outcropping and be safe from both wolves and an angry moose trying to run you down. 

And once you got your kill back to Milton, you had one of the few safehouses in the game equipped with a six-slot stove to cook up your massive meat haul on, plus close-by outdoor storage options for it (car trunks.) 

This was balanced out by Mountain Town being, well... Mountain Town. The inaccessibility has already been mentioned, but then there's the crafting table options - the indoor one either required a rope climb or dodging four wolf spawns to get over the bridge, past the church and up the road. The other table at the farmhouse was (is) easier to get to (you had to pass through Milton but the copious car bolt-holes helped with that, and the wide-open farm at least lets you see patrolling wolves from a distance so you can time your dash and get to the door or to the tractor/car) and there's a rabbit area right outside the door and another one a short jaunt behind the place - but the table was outside, so you'd need to stock up on wood, water and food (or lug it in) before you could craft with the bear/moose hide you came to Milton for. 

Now, if you want to take advantage of that lovely six-slot stove in Grey Mother's house, you've got to book it past wolves twelve possible times, half of them while likely overloaded with some bear/moose quarters, (so slow and very smelly.) It just isn't worth it anymore, and that means Mountain Town really isn't worth visiting on Survival Mode anymore, at least for me. About a third of the map's exploitable/explorable area was already difficult to access (isolated by rope climbs; the "entry" basin from Mystery Lake and the Milton Basin itself,) and while Milton is certainly a big, tightly-concentrated looting opportunity with plenty of cars to sprint between for shelter (easier to get around Milton than to get in or out of the Quonset, I feel,) as mentioned before, packing it out is very difficult. And if you're living there for some reason, packing stuff in is just as bad. 

Maybe I just haven't adjusted to the new map yet - maybe the moose spawn has been moved to the new area by Mackenzie's crash site, or something - but if there isn't a good perch to shoot from (or the vine climb isn't close enough to dash down to avoid Angry Moose Stomp) I probably won't bother with it. People always complain about changes, I know, but so far I'm pretty bummed with MT for the foreseeable future. Anyone have a different perspective on that? 

Archived