The Long Dark Updated to V1.41 [43925] – REDUX

Admin

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, romerabr said:

There is a bug on Xbox, when crafting at work table, the last line, the one that allow us to craft an arrow, etc, is missing. I can't replace my broken arrows. 

Have the same issue on the PC. Using the left stick on a controller to scroll down and unable to access the options to craft arrows or arrow shafts.

I think that the circle around the statuses (warmth, level of tiredness, thirst, hunger) is less intuitive than the previous full/empty symbols, where you could see at a glance how 'full' or how 'empty' the symbol was.

Also, I don't get why now the progress circling line around the hourglass in many instances moves… counterclockwise.

*shrug*

2 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

The new path to Milton was a massive improvement as well.  That Predux highway trek gets a bit sketchy at times, as that's an awfully long way to go with starting gear.  Dropping you right into Milton pretty much right away is a nice touch, and really accelerates the pacing. 

For story mode, yes, that's nice. The section from the plane over the bridge to the trailer was difficult even as an experienced player. And this prevents that you need to go back to the church for the quest. Now it can be a now location.

But for survival mode that is absolutely terrible. There was a nice path where you went to the pond near the radio tower, climbed up the roots and then you could go either under or before Spruce Falls Bridge. Unless I missed something that path seems to be gone now. Instead it takes you directly to that other pond near the plane. In my Interloper game I had just killed the bear at the bridge, but I had no time to harvest his hide. I planned to go there next. Now it's an extremely long way to get there. With the rope behind the house it's better, but then it's via a rope. Meaning I can't be encumbered on the way back.

Would have been better to leave that path, but have a second path connecting the two ponds

This is how it used to look:

Mountain Town.jpg

14 minutes ago, Morrick said:

I think that the circle around the statuses (warmth, level of tiredness, thirst, hunger) is less intuitive than the previous full/empty symbols, where you could see at a glance how 'full' or how 'empty' the symbol was.

I would say it's more "obvious" what it's indicating, but less intuitive.  By that, I mean it's impossible for anyone to be confused, but also most people would not have been confused in the first place . . . and the old way is more aesthetically pleasurable.  Then again, I have the bias of being used to the old way.

Another quirk, when climbing a rope you need to look far-right, and far-left, to keep your fatigue in check.  2x the eye movement.

Also, when you drink, and the thirst icon pops up in the center, it's a bit odd -- since it's usually on the left now.  Just not as elegant as revealing the center-icon and filling it where you were already looking for it.

One more thing: when mapping, the progress circle seems to stand out from the background in an odd way: the periphery of the circle (beyond the circle) isn't well integrated into the rest of the background as it completes its journey.

(small things)

Hi and thanks for this great game

There are huge drawbacks for linux users with Nvidia, as mentioned in the  changelog.
Anyway I will fill a bugreport (if it doesn't help, it will at least hopefully appeared as "solved" in your db one day ^^), let me know if I could do anything else to help solving this.

And let us know if there is a workaround, I tried the usual ones like "vertical sync" and texture quality with no success.

Cheers.

I was just strolling on the forums and this good stuff pops up. Time to dive back into story mode. And I have my Subnautica Xbox Full Release play threw goodie! And quick question has the spear already been added or was that pic at the top a teaser.

Nice update in general.  I want to post my MAJOR issue with the HUD before I make another more in-depth post of the good stuff I like.  I'm 100% ok if you want to move the Icons around the screen or have some go clockwise and others go counter clockwise, whatever.  But these miniature little arrows with small circles do not provide at-a-glace information to the player and is a step backward in UI.  It is EXTREEMLY difficult to tell what is going on with a 1/4 second glance like the previous version.  This RDRII UI style interface clone ignored some of the important features that Rockstar incorporated into that UI.  The center Icon is small & grey thereby enhancing the outer circle, they actually incorporated both drain and circle!, and they added black between the Icon and circle for easier at a glance viewing.  

1.  AXE the small circles around the large icon and make the Icons slightly larger (encompassing the size of the current circle) and have them drain like before.  2.  Status arrow Indicators should be slightly larger (as should additional status indicators)

Thanks for providing the 3 options On, Off, Contextual!  Colors are a players friend the Red and Yellow are nice.

Thanks

Now replaying Chapter 1 and 2 on Redux. Story is looking absolutely amazing... Such a great way to introduce Wintermute. This update is exactly what I expected and much more! Thank you Hinterland Studio. This update made me sooo much more excited for what the future holds for The Long Dark. Stay warm and safe out there.

IMG_20181216_114630_184.jpg

I love the updated graphics, rabbit behavior, cooking options. I didn't get to observe to wolves much, too busy trying to avoid being eaten, freezing to death or plummetting to my doom.  The aurora off DP is even more beautiful. 

But is it intended that we can't light torches from firebarrels anymore?

• Hinterland
1 hour ago, Strategizer said:

Nice update in general.  I want to post my MAJOR issue with the HUD before I make another more in-depth post of the good stuff I like.  I'm 100% ok if you want to move the Icons around the screen or have some go clockwise and others go counter clockwise, whatever.  But these miniature little arrows with small circles do not provide at-a-glace information to the player and is a step backward in UI.  It is EXTREEMLY difficult to tell what is going on with a 1/4 second glance like the previous version.  This RDRII UI style interface clone ignored some of the important features that Rockstar incorporated into that UI.  The center Icon is small & grey thereby enhancing the outer circle, they actually incorporated both drain and circle!, and they added black between the Icon and circle for easier at a glance viewing.  

1.  AXE the small circles around the large icon and make the Icons slightly larger (encompassing the size of the current circle) and have them drain like before.  2.  Status arrow Indicators should be slightly larger (as should additional status indicators)

Thanks for providing the 3 options On, Off, Contextual!  Colors are a players friend the Red and Yellow are nice.

Thanks

If you find the arrows difficult to read, just change the HUD size. That's also an option in the Settings.

5 hours ago, Czhilli said:

Have the same issue on the PC. Using the left stick on a controller to scroll down and unable to access the options to craft arrows or arrow shafts.

Also having this issue on X Box One S... Can not access the lower most row of craftable items, which include arrow shafts, arrows, and the bow.

@Raphael van Lierop just an FYI, hope to see this fixed very soon. Kind of a mega game killer if I cant hunt large game.

1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

If you find the arrows difficult to read, just change the HUD size. That's also an option in the Settings.

I already had it set to Largest before posting:)  and thanks for getting back to me I wouldn't type up my feed back if I didnt care about the game.  I might play fast so it effects me more than other players, I don't know...

1.  I Really like the new anti-Starve workaround "Well Fed". Giving the user choices is important and this is a great solution.
2.  I like the load screens, useful tips for newer players.  You might want to include an option in a future update for advanced players to display a single random statistic from the game as opposed to tips that will get stale after a bit.  They game already track lots of good stuff.
3.  I like the in game brightness option, a ton!!!
4.  The new UI has potential, IF you leave it 'on' constantly blocking the nice scenery.  I feel its far to difficult to instantly determine status in 1/4 to 1/2 a second tapping the Contextual button like the pervious version, even while at maximum size.  Please review the RDRII implantation of this UI  with colors, shading, and icon size.  Utilizing non-functioning all white huge Icons does not convey information quickly.  None of this applies, I suppose if the user leaves the overlay constantly 'on'.
5.  The grass rotation fix is great, I notice it right away.
6.  Wintermute story is quite improved, I like the changes.
7.  New Challenge!  Keep adding them.  Note: the "x" button for more info in the challenge map menu Crashes the game on the X1X.
8.  I Read the list of all the small fixes, tell the team great job.

9.  Important: Please have the team look at the Workbench arrow situation, and the new location pop-up to properly obtain Faithfull Cartographer.

Thanks

10 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

One the items are placed, or once the stove is lit, you can just interact with each cookable surface directly as before.

No you can't.

When clicking on a Recycled Can placed on a lit stove, this new selection pops up, requiring an additional click before getting the actual cooking interface.
This is certainly not "as before".

screen_(-5, 1, 2)_4eea923d-dfd1-4a96-99ee-93d8dd919703.png

Archived