The Long Dark Updated to V1.41 [43925] – REDUX

Admin

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After playing for half an hour or so, I'm not really feeling the UI change to the cooking. The extra step every time I click on an cooking item or a stove to choose what I want to do seems a bit redundant. I know what I want to do when I click on a pot, add food or boil water etc. This extra black box only really makes sense to add a pot to the stove. I suppose it's something to get used to. 

• Hinterland
6 minutes ago, Liofa said:

After playing for half an hour or so, I'm not really feeling the UI change to the cooking. The extra step every time I click on an cooking item or a stove to choose what I want to do seems a bit redundant. I know what I want to do when I click on a pot, add food or boil water etc. This extra black box only really makes sense to add a pot to the stove. I suppose it's something to get used to. 

One the items are placed, or once the stove is lit, you can just interact with each cookable surface directly as before.

@admin @Raphael van Lierop Good evening. Congratulations on the release of the update. I have a question to you. I am one of the translators of the game The Long Dark. We translate into Ukrainian https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=778593997. We want to translate the update, but the localization file has not been updated for a long time https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yNelvOGalCXSx9Od1ZIwV95f9qj6TWCHOUm-nQkpE6s/edit#gid=0. Do you plan to update the file or have an alternative translation opportunity? Translation team One Franc. Thanks.

I did it! I made my fist hat, which is awesome! Looks very nice, but don't forget to take off earwraps, which, unfortunatelly, don't match its design well.

A new interface is ok, I'll get used to it, as I got used to the central position of needs indicators. The fuel bar of lightsource don't disappear - much appreciated.

Ok, enough typing, time to try Archivist challenge... and replay Wintermute ;)

Thanks a lot! Stay warm, Hinterland! :coffee:

• Hinterland
4 minutes ago, Aeronicr said:

@admin @Raphael van Lierop Good evening. Congratulations on the release of the update. I have a question to you. I am one of the translators of the game The Long Dark. We translate into Ukrainian https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=778593997. We want to translate the update, but the localization file has not been updated for a long time https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yNelvOGalCXSx9Od1ZIwV95f9qj6TWCHOUm-nQkpE6s/edit#gid=0. Do you plan to update the file or have an alternative translation opportunity? Translation team One Franc. Thanks.

We'll update the community loc doc as soon as we can. With this new update, we've added 1000s of words of new content.

• Hinterland
1 hour ago, Hawk said:

I certainly appreciate your optimism @Raphael van Lierop but I'd be immensely surprised if the new version is available at GOG anytime within the next two weeks, especially now that they're not making any more money from sales. 9_9

Nothing against Hinterland. GOG has changed a lot lately, and not necessarily for the best. :(

They have always been very prompt at updating the game for us so I hope the release date ends up being closer to my guess than yours. :)

First impressions: The intro to the game is a vast improvement.  I imagine it's kinda like when Pop-Tarts suddenly had frosted Pop-Tarts.  They were great, then they became better in a way you didn't even consider. And you'd never want to go back to unfrosted Pop-Tarts.  Jumping right into the game without much ado, being able to explore the hangar, and even getting to choose one thing of extra gear to start with (and if I'm honest, I'll pack the flare pistol any day).  The new path to Milton was a massive improvement as well.  That Predux highway trek gets a bit sketchy at times, as that's an awfully long way to go with starting gear.  Dropping you right into Milton pretty much right away is a nice touch, and really accelerates the pacing.  And all the firewood and coal I collected along the way, immediately satisfied Grey Mother's fuel needs.  So that's one thing I don't have to worry about.   Well, time to go do some real-life stuff, then back into the game to see how the rest of Episode 1 plays out.  Really loving it so far!

And now that Well Fed is a reward for not starving, I had to fan-fic a reason in my head why Will doesn't start with this.  It's because he's on a diet, trying to lose a few pounds, and his calorie store hit zero earlier in the day, before Astrid showed up.

Thanks for the timely update. Been looking forward to playing Wintermute over the holidays.

But a quick heads up...

Someone has stolen the truck from inside the PV barn.

1AE41F145F88104AEB02424FCC2831BECB9D8F5F

Didn’t see this mentioned in the patch notes. Was it intended? Might surprise any Interlopers or others travelling without a bedroll who were expecting to be able to sleep here.

3 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

One the items are placed, or once the stove is lit, you can just interact with each cookable surface directly as before.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't explain myself very well in my last post. Although your reply jogged my memory.

I just feel like it was quicker before; select the pot and then choose either water or food to cook from the menu. Now you click the pot, the UI comes up with the black option box asking if you want to pick it up, cook or "water", then you select your water amount or food type. Two clicks where before it was one. 

I guess if you tend to leave pots and cans on the stove, the new method seems a bit cumbersome. I suppose it's muscle memory, I am used to the old method. ;)

Not really a fan of the left-justified HUD, but I guess I'll get used to it.  I guess this is part of a trend to support a more "intuitive" UI, by making it visible, but not obnoxious (centered) the whole time.  Thank you so much for providing the ability to put it back to "contextual".

One problem I'm having is a bit of jitter when I pan.  Maybe my card isn't up to the new Unity engine (NVIDIA 960), everything on Ultra as I assume it was before.

Archived