The Long Dark Updated to V1.41 [43925] – REDUX

Admin

I'm well into episode 2 by now, but man what an improvement you guys have made to wintermute!

Without spoiling, the new story elements tie much better Milton's history and Astrid's interactions there, loved how Grey Mother felt more compassionate and sane this time around, made me have much more empathy for her and gave her substance in a sense. She felt to me like an estranged relative to whom we made amends, gathering supplies did not feel like a chore this time. 

I fumbled with my monitor settings trying to understand what exactly was different from before color-wise but the game feels more vivid and sharper somehow. Can't say I'm in love with the small menu that pops up when you click on a fire but I understand the need to make all the available interactions clearer. If I may, making the black menu frame less opaque would do wonders in terms of making a more seamless transition than the prompt as it currently stands.  Overall, I have no complaints regarding the rest of the UI, quite the contrary in fact, looks pretty good and left justified alignment is less intrusive. I'm a sucker for a minimalist UI but I can't deny that the new one is easier on the ol' eyes. 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, admin said:

For now, your best bet is to return to the cave and then leave again. This should fix it.

Some say sleeping in the cave fixed it. But what made the difference for me is to not trigger the exit with an interaction, but just walk through it

Interloper is broken now on Redux. You can't create arrows because they are no longer on the menu in any of the "Survival Mode" games from a bug that Redux introduced. Without the ability to create arrows the entire "Survival Mode" of this game is now broken IMO.  That was it's best part!  ugh

8 minutes ago, ARROWS said:

Interloper is broken now on Redux. You can't create arrows because they are no longer on the menu in any of the "Survival Mode" games from a bug that Redux introduced. Without the ability to create arrows the entire "Survival Mode" of this game is now broken IMO.  That was it's best part!  ugh

This is an issue we are aware of and are working on addressing as soon as possible. 

Almost every day in my survival game everything is deep blue to light blue except the caves and houses (they look great). Blue trees, blue rocks, blue bunnies, blue snow, blue tools, blue exterior houses, blue wolves, blue, blue, blue...  Is there a way for the player to tone this down a bit?  The game is great to look at, but all the colors are crushed to blue when outside.  

Do I need to start a new survival game so its a bit warmer out? 

5 minutes ago, Strategizer said:

Almost every day in my survival game everything is deep blue to light blue except the caves and houses (they look great). Blue trees, blue rocks, blue bunnies, blue snow, blue tools, blue exterior houses, blue wolves, blue, blue, blue...  Is there a way for the player to tone this down a bit?  The game is great to look at, but all the colors are crushed to blue when outside.  

Do I need to start a new survival game so its a bit warmer out? 

This is because of the color grading due to the temp outside that they added.

2 hours ago, Morrick said:

Whoa, I too noticed a slightly bluer tint when playing my sandboxes, but this… this is some serious Windows® Blue!

Ha, yeah.  Its off the chart Blue in the morning.  Sometimes by mid day it will be fine and clear up.  Morning used to be when I would start my trips, but with  Blue on Blue, with light Blue accents it makes navigation difficult....  Especially because my memory of the landscape is in color.  I'm on a X1X I'm thinking this has to be a bug?.   Seems to go all "Blue"TM when its both dark and  cold.

On 17/12/2018 at 6:00 PM, Liofa said:

The black screen was fine for me, wondering what I would find outside etc. 

Same here! I was thinking I was the only one to be bothered by it, but it seems like not. The colourful and bright pictures with a small text just takes your mind off what you should be thinking about and breaks the immersion so much.

On 18/12/2018 at 2:58 AM, Raphael van Lierop said:

If you find the arrows difficult to read, just change the HUD size. That's also an option in the Settings.

Although he might be talking about the PC version, on the Xbox, if at all different, simply changing the HUD size is not really that effective. I made a thread here asking for an option to bring the UI back, stating why changing the HUD size does not fix the problem and that the size itself is not the only problem, but so is the brightness and proximity of the arrow to the symbols: http://www.hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/21832-option-to-revert-to-old-predux-ui-please/

On 17/12/2018 at 8:22 PM, Brandon Goeringer said:

Not including 4K, HDR, enhancements in this update to Xbox One X extremely disappointing after all this time. This games is literally one of the last games on the Xbox One X enhanced list yet it still hasn’t received it, more than a YEAR AGO. Mentioned back in the MAY Milton mailbag and alluded to over a year ago yet it still isn’t here. I personally don’t care if issues are with the PS4 pro enhancements. Companies like Ubisoft have released 4k updates on PS4 Pro games and not yet on Xbox One X. But I guess if this company is happy with the jaggies and advertising a feature but not delivering on it, there is not much more to say, only that it’s inclusion on the Xbox One X enhanced list and the companies continued delay to provide that which they stated they would is sadly very disappointing. I personally don’t care if Microsoft asked you guys if you were gonna do it and so you had to be put on the list, it’s yet another thing promised but not delivered.

I second this statement. 

I bought this game on release, but owning a 4k HDR monitor for my xbox one x, decided to wait due to how poor the game looks at this resolution. 

I was desperately hoping with this update the promised xbox enhancements would arrive. I wanted so much to start playing this game this Christmas. 

I think that it is very poor behaviour to promise and claim something and then not to deliver it. Especially, if it seems from your own statements, that it would appear you were in May, able to implement this patch for us xbox one x users.  

4 hours ago, Strategizer said:

Ha, yeah.  Its off the chart Blue in the morning.  Sometimes by mid day it will be fine and clear up.  Morning used to be when I would start my trips, but with  Blue on Blue, with light Blue accents it makes navigation difficult....  Especially because my memory of the landscape is in color.  I'm on a X1X I'm thinking this has to be a bug?.   Seems to go all "Blue"TM when its both dark and  cold.

If this is how blue it looks on the X1X then I'm glad I haven't downloaded the update yet. I think I'll play offline til the bugs etc get ironed out. 

Is everyone on the Xbox seeing so much blue ?

8 hours ago, Strategizer said:

Rather than use words to describe what Blue looks like I'll just post what my game looks like.  Unless I go INSIDE a house (the outside is Blue).

WIN-20181217-16-53-44-Pro.jpg

I admit the blue in the morning is absolutely out of control but mabey its different for me because I'm playing on an Xbox One. And also what's with the water bottle stash.

2 hours ago, Tri13 said:

I admit the blue in the morning is absolutely out of control but mabey its different for me because I'm playing on an Xbox One. And also what's with the water bottle stash.

1.  I also don't feel the blue tint needs to be removed.  HOWEVER, when it's dark and  cold it is beyond out of control to the point of complete absurdity on the X1X. 

2.  Water bottles: In HRV I found a couple of cooking pots up there, so when cooking if I have leftover fire time I make a bit of water before I leave/sleep.  I have yet to die from thirst in any of my games so far... ;)

2 minutes ago, Strategizer said:

1.  I also don't feel the blue tint needs to be removed.  HOWEVER, when it's dark and  cold it is beyond out of control to the point of complete absurdity on the X1X. 

2.  Water bottles: In HRV I found a couple of cooking pots up there, so when cooking if I have leftover fire time I make a bit of water before I leave/sleep.  I have yet to die from thirst in any of my games so far... ;)

I can't say the same for myself:)

Just finished Episode 2. I was extremely disappointed by the first version of Wintermute. The Narration was juust horrible and killed the game. Now Redux has basicly fixed everything.

The dialogues are good, the characters make sense, i can have empathy, what i do makes sense, the pace of the game is spot on, you have the freedom to play faster or slower, cutscenes and audio are top notch!

There are a few bugs, a few critical ones that prevent people from playing proberly but this was expected and will be fixed ASAP, like it always has been. The UI changes for cooking are also questionable and could've been testet here before the release. I have not played Survial Mode yet, so i can only speak about Wintermute.

After the bugs have been fixed, the game is easily triple A material, very very nice. In my opinion, the key was to clearly seperate survival mode from story mode this time and mainly concentrate on the story in story mode. Although i normally play Interloper, here i played on easy and i enjoyed every minute of the game. All changes to characters, dialogues, action, quests, story, turned out to be amazing. Tank you!

Comments all seem to be valid. I just want to say, although I'm currently gaming on windows, props to Hinterland for supporting Linux!!!! If I could play every game on Linux I highly doubt my Windows environment would ever get booted again. Appreciate the Linux Love. Also wanted to say I hope all the reported bugs and issues get addressed but props again for tackling multiple platforms, operating systems and forms of distribution. Lastly although the new minimenu when you are interacting with a fire is far from terrible. I do however think the issue all of us are having is that those functions are so constant throughout the game that while it may seem nice to a new player for a few times, learning how to fluidly move through that campfire time is something you must learn and even master. This is why the update that gave us all the ability to cook items and do other task was a massive improvement. This new additional menu is great the very first handful of fire's you work with, but then it is just a minor obstruction the other 1000's of times you interact with a fire.  

Also all the new changes and improvements are very well crafted. It is hard to find other dev's that hit the nail so squarely on the head. Thanks again

On 2018. 12. 17. at 9:00 PM, Liofa said:

My only niggle upon starting up my survival game was the new tip loading screens upon entering and exiting buildings. The loading times have increased heading into and out of buildings and the picture and game tips break the immersion.
Perhaps in a future patch we can have the option to turn off the game tips screen and have the black screen back? 

This is a good idea, though I can't see loading times increase - maybe because I have the game on SSD. But what I see (only in Milton Town so far) that the Region has been changed here and there, some of my past paths are blocked now by rocks. Maybe this was one of the reasons of the warning to move stuff from some regions?

Hi everyone,

Well I too hate to be that other guy because that game is so unique and a real work of love I absolutely love it, but the first impression on that update is rather blue.

I picked up the game again last week after a year and was just thinking to myself over the last days how you've nailed the colors just right. After the update I've walked out of my cabin just before sunrise just to discover that all that was supposed to be pitch black was indeed blue (not windows blue like the pictures above but still blue). The rest was blue too, it didn't really make me feel cold (the wind sounds and the blizzard effect does that amazingly well), it just ruined the contrasts and felt a bit too unreal to me and a bit of a sacrilege to the beauty of the night that was there before. All deers around Trapper's Homestead started fleeing only to get stuck all day long against a tree. The end of the day was pink. Some colors now feel too saturated, a bit like on my older samsung tv which tricked me into buying it by teasing me with overly bright and suggestive tones only to discover later that no picture would ever feel natural. The view of these Ferrari red steaks cooking in the fire in that full blue scene felt awkward. These new postfx need to learn subtlety and restraint. Again I feel that color was one of the areas the game did just right and the last one that needed to be changed, at least not in that way.

During that last week I was amazed at how prettier the game had become in a year while still running buttery smooth. The day before the update I had just fired up Afterburner to watch the performance of the game as I was so close to locking a steady 60fps at 4k I felt I would spend a bit of time tuning the options to reach that. Reading the changelog listing so many performance updates got me thrilled that I might not need the extra effort, but the performance has now taken a serious hit which I would be fine with if I did notice some extra eye candy but as of yet it didn't strike me (well to be fair the new aurora looks beautiful). I just feel that performance has been wasted now looking at my feet to pick up sticks I dip to 25ish fps and the game doesn't register all my clicks I often have to press the button twice to pick them up. Fires also feel more harsh on performance than they used to be.

The transition screens are immersion breaking and may act as mild spoilers for new players, again while minimalistic I feel like that lone wolf screen was just right, or at least of the right kind.

The wolves used to howl quite rarely making the moment feel really special. Every time it happened, whatever it is that I was doing I would just stop right away to make silence and appreciate the moment, it would instantly plunge me into contemplation and I guess I'm not the only one doing that. GelTaz does the same in his youtube videos, he just stops and doesn't even finish his word. Again I feel like a bit of restraint has been lost there, while there's certainly some debate here from a gameplay perspective I like the old way better. In fact I was just thinking that their current howling would be fine to highlight a special occasion like an aurora or a sunset.

While I like the style of the new condition UI and I find the meters a bit clearer on low condition, there's something I miss about the previous one. For me the old UI worked like the actual contextual UI showing only the icons that required attention, but I could still have a glance at the full UI when firing up the wheel menu, making it both discrete and practical. Now I need to have the full UI which is a stepback in immersion for me.

I don't write often here so I feel sorry to come in on that occasion. I play survival only so I can't say much about redux. I like the new hat, all the bugfixes that came in and all the new tiny stuff I can't wait to discover all around the place, I appreciate all the fine crafting and love that went and goes into this game, but overall I wish I was two days ago. Who needs glitter with all that beautiful snow ?

Archived