The Long Dark Updated to V1.41 [43925] – REDUX

Admin

• Hinterland
42 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

I reported it as a bug already but I'm also listing it here in case others are affected by it, and can maybe help identify the specific cause.

When working towards the "Basics of Survival" side quest, the quest objectives (make 3 reishi teas, etc) have been resetting to zero if they haven't been fully achieved.  I don't know what exactly was causing that yet, but I suspect (30% confidence) that it happens when you complete another mission, while one of those Basics of Survival objectives is only partially complete.  For example, have 2 out of 3 teas complete, then complete another quest, it resets to 0 of 3 teas.  But if you fully complete it, brewing all 3 teas to complete that part of the mission, then it's safe.

Edit: I proved myself wrong just now...I completed the milton supply cache mission and I still have 1 of 3 OMB dressings showing in my journal.  (Even though I have already crafted 6 of the dang things.)

We're looking at this. Currently, you have to have all 3 in inventory to complete the side mission. So, the instructions should indicate that you need to have the items in inventory -- it's not enough to just make them. If you make one and use it, you have to remake that one. 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Hinterland
51 minutes ago, zegkljan said:

Just fired up a new wintermute campaign and I immediately stumbled upon a HUGE issue - some objects seem to be transparent for some other objects. In the hangar I could see windows through walls and the plane, but the major trouble, in the real game in the ravine, the ground seems to be transparent for stars which makes just navigating around next to impossible. The same issue happens in survival mode too. See the screenshots below. I tried to fiddle around with quality settings (only a little bit though) and no luck (low, medium and high settings all have this issue). I was so much looking forward to the redux and now this :(.

I'm running Arch Linux, kernel 4.19.9-arch1-1-ARCH, graphics card nVidia GeForce 940M, nvidia driver version 415.23, Xorg 1.20.3-1, desktop environment is Gnome Shell 3.30.2. I'll gladly provide more details about my system if it helps with fixing this.

EDIT: seems this (or very similar) bug was already reported as TLDP-6534 and TLDP-6536.
EDIT 2: using -force-vulkan does seem to put the layers in order but only in the main menu scene, starting or loading a game crashes the game :(

Screenshot 1 - the very beginning after the plane crash

5c19696a4c0c9_Screenshotfrom2018-12-1822-39-28.thumb.png.a2ec0f64aca1236286f637d6ab98e83c.png

Screenshot 2 - resumed survival mode in the farm house in the Pleasant Valley

5c196b95cdfa4_Screenshotfrom2018-12-1822-48-10.thumb.png.2feafb374be44944e678c648add73254.png

As noted in the Release Notes, there are various graphical corruption issues on Linux. These seem to only affect players using nVidia cards. We're working on a fix but the issue is deep in Unity code and we need their support to fix it.

• Hinterland
4 hours ago, Mr.Anonymous said:

Sounds like a big ol' meaty update. The continued support this game receives on all platforms is just wonderful to see! It really is. My only question is, does this game still crash a lot on the PS4? I haven't played for about 6-7 months because of that very issue. It would be great if someone that plays on PS4 could give me a quick answer, as I would like to delve back into it and experience all the new content. 

Either way, great work Hinterland Studios. 

The game is generally stable on PS4. There is a memory crash that seems to occur (occasionally) when the game has been running for close to 10 hours. We're working on fixing that.

• Hinterland
20 hours ago, Karppuuna said:

Are X and Pro enhanced coming, why cant you answer this simple question.

Im waiting Pro enhanced to deal shitty AA

I've answered this question many times. Yes, we are working on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro enhancements. They are not the priority as they do not impact a large % of our player base, but we will get them out when possible.

• Hinterland
15 hours ago, Wulf Marius said:

No you can't.

When clicking on a Recycled Can placed on a lit stove, this new selection pops up, requiring an additional click before getting the actual cooking interface.
This is certainly not "as before".

screen_(-5, 1, 2)_4eea923d-dfd1-4a96-99ee-93d8dd919703.png

You can interact with each cookable surface, as you could before. I didn't say the interaction was the same as before.

23 minutes ago, Devinous said:

No update on windows central yet ...  whats up?

At this point we're aiming to release it with fixes that we've identified today, so we'll be looking to do it on Thursday as we want to test the fixes.

I've managed to fit in a whole two hours in this hectic Christmas season, and have reached the point where I've visited the gas station for the first time and returned to Grey Mother having helped her with supplies. So, first impressions... [some mild spoilers for first two hours play]

I really enjoyed the new opening in the hanger. Gave it more of a feeling of a journey from the safe, warm, mildly alcoholic rut that MacKenzie was living in and out into the cold. I don't know if it's my imagination as it's been a year since I played the original, but Astrid sounded less hostile and slightly - just slightly - more vulnerable. It felt like there was less bickering and a little more concern for each other, but still neither party being very happy to see each other once again. Old wounds, clearly. 

The story and scenario feel more immersive and natural. Previously it felt too much like a tutorial, and Grey Mother too much like a game device creating artificial barriers to progression  - to the point where one ceased viewing her as a vulnerable character and more of an irritation. The Redux version is far better. The story is less coy about the events that have happened, and the clues presented more vivid and easier to piece together in the imagination. Before it never really felt like the events of the night of the lights in the sky had transpired in Milton. It felt more like a just a place that had been ruined for a long time. Now with the recent bodies, Grey Mother's description of the burning buildings and being asked to evacuate and Methuselah talking about the stalled cars it seems much of an ongoing disaster occurring. MacKenzie seems to strike a better balance of curiosity, confusion, sympathy and urgency. He clearly wants to help Grey Mother from the off out of concern for life, whilst in the old one you could never figure out why he stuck around since he was so clearly itching to be on his way. 

Again, the dialogue is just punchier, more naturalistic, with the characters talking about their immediate concerns without going into weird monologues with a little too much purple-prose. The story-telling is finally catching up with the immersive lore!

The upgrade in the graphics is in the main subtle, and I can't put my finger on some of it, but I kind of like it. I think maybe there is a fraction too much raw, gritty contrast at times and the nights a little too blue, but I think I like it. Probably a case of getting used to it, like the change in the rocks all that time ago. Interiors have definitely improved - I love the new indoor lighting - very atmospheric! Unfortunately frame-rate has taken a bit of a dip with the odd bit of jerkiness outside, and my computer is a recent buy and no slouch. I imagine performance improvements will come, though.

I like now that the icons are lower left, though I kind of miss the old ones a little now. The only two things I wish for are that...

1: You could have an 'always off except when you hit tab or space' option. That would be the best of all worlds for me, as I like little UI on screen as possible.  

2: An option to turn off the loading screens and go for the old black screen style. Although the art is lovely, it's just up and off too fast for me and breaks immersion. I prefer the expectant hush of the black screen, it was always a moment of drama!

Only one repeat crash issue so far in building a campfire next to the deer in the crash-site and having CTDs when doing harvesting. I reloaded and kept my fire to the cave and had no issues in any further harvesting. I'd say one piece of dialogue you might want to add (or re-introduce if it was in the old one) is MacKenzie saying something along the lines of having better stay the night in the cave, as I couldn't figure out if the Redux wanted me to immediately set off up the cliff or stick around and heal up. 

In the main though I really like the Redux so far. Haven't tested the survival side yet, but I am certainly impressed. The story certainly has more impact and feels less like a grumbling MacKenzie trying to satisfy gatekeepers to the next level and more like a man wandering a confusing and unfamiliar world wondering what the hell is happening. If the rest of the redux continues in this vein I'll be a very happy man. Alas, I doubt I'll have much time to play at all over the next two weeks as I'll be spending the season away from the computer. But I do want to wish Team Hinterland a merry Christmas, and though I'm sure you'll be eager to fix all these bugs please don't neglect family time over the holidays! 

Hey, Ralph I just booted up the game and First: I noticed the UI seemed less interfering and sleeker and I love it!!. Second: I noticed a change in graphics that I couldn't quite pinpoint what it was can you please specify if you did change the graphics or not.

• Hinterland
4 minutes ago, Tri13 said:

Hey, Ralph I just booted up the game and First: I noticed the UI seemed less interfering and sleeker. Second: I noticed a change in graphics that I couldn't quite pinpoint what it was can you please specify if you did change the graphics or not.

Yes, we updated our entire post-FX stack which means colours, lighting, etc. have all been upgraded. We also added some colour grading that's tied to temperature -- so, for example, you'll notice a blue tint on things when it's very cold outside. 

1 minute ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Yes, we updated our entire post-FX stack which means colours, lighting, etc. have all been upgraded. We also added some colour grading that's tied to temperature -- so, for example, you'll notice a blue tint on things when it's very cold outside. 

Okay, I noticed that in the fishing huts there was a blue tint to everything. Mabey the new Unity engine has also helped.

29 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

We're looking at this. Currently, you have to have all 3 in inventory to complete the side mission. So, the instructions should indicate that you need to have the items in inventory -- it's not enough to just make them. If you make one and use it, you have to remake that one. 

Gotcha--fortunately I'm swimming in tea so that was easy to accomplish.  However I also noticed that the requirement to repair 3 items of clothing shows 3/3 repaired, but the icon is showing that it is incomplete.  It's still an exclamation point, instead of a checkbox.

I don't know if that counts as completed or not.  If I ever manage to snare a rabbit I'll find out.  Elusive little buggers....

I like the changes so far. Thanks to the Hinterland team for delivering such a big overhaul for the current customers! 

It was also a good decision to release early in the week so that you have some time to wrap things up before the well deserved break. I will be super happy if we get an update before Christmas resolving the issues Raph mentioned as being worked on (crafting and region notifications).

11 minutes ago, Tri13 said:

One more question when do you think the first update to fix the problems this update caused will be out?

We are looking into issues as they are reported, and have identified a few that we hope to address as soon as possible. At this time we are not prepared to offer a timeline for when that will be.

If you want to ensure an issue you're experiencing is examined report it via our Support Portal.

1 minute ago, Patrick hall said:

Can’t play interloper in Xbox one. The bow and arrows do not show up in the crafting menu anymore :( so far disappointing. 

All these can be fixed. I've been with this game till 2015 and they have not disappointed me yet. Just hold in there.:)

27 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Gotcha--fortunately I'm swimming in tea so that was easy to accomplish.  However I also noticed that the requirement to repair 3 items of clothing shows 3/3 repaired, but the icon is showing that it is incomplete.  It's still an exclamation point, instead of a checkbox.

I don't know if that counts as completed or not.  If I ever manage to snare a rabbit I'll find out.  Elusive little buggers....

Just circling back on this; I finally snared a rabbit, and it completed the mission, even though the "Learn to mend and maintain clothing" part still has the exclamation point icon.  So at least I can move on to Episode 2 with a fully completed mission log!

Hmm is Jeremiah dead in Episode 2, or am I bugged?  I exited the Milton to Mystery Lake transition cave, expecting some sort of bear attack cutscene, but nothing happened.  I walked down to Trappers, walked inside the hut, and Jeremiah is laying on his bed, unmoving, and I can't interact with him.  I took the rifle off the workbench thinking maybe THAT would trigger something, and nope.  The Paradise Lost quest is still showing incomplete in my journal, and possibly worth noting, Mackenzie didn't say goodbye to his plane as I was leaving Milton.

9 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Hmm is Jeremiah dead in Episode 2, or am I bugged?  I exited the Milton to Mystery Lake transition cave, expecting some sort of bear attack cutscene, but nothing happened.  I walked down to Trappers, walked inside the hut, and Jeremiah is laying on his bed, unmoving, and I can't interact with him.  I took the rifle off the workbench thinking maybe THAT would trigger something, and nope.  The Paradise Lost quest is still showing incomplete in my journal, and possibly worth noting, Mackenzie didn't say goodbye to his plane as I was leaving Milton.

There's a thread about this in the Wintermute Sub Forum...there is a workaround.

13 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

It's an issue we're working on fixing. For now, your best bet is to return to the cave and then leave again. This should fix it.

Archived