Interaction

MiceInTheBasement

Alright, so a common thing you see often in The Long Dark are those slowly filling circles that show up when you’re starting a fire or something. I was wondering if soon 3D interaction will be made, in which the game flips into a third-person viewpoint so you can see your character interact with the world.

One example would be a starting a fire, in which your character lights their match and creates a fire, begging it to start. This might detract from the whole “alone in the wilderness” idea, but it also would make you think more about desperation of your character, who is struggling to start a fire in the cold Canadian wilderness.

This obviously might be difficult to animate, and this isn’t a major concern or anything, but I figured it was worth saying. It might eventually become a nuisance, so maybe an option in settings to turn it on/off? Anyway, just a thought.

@MiceInTheBasement

Nice 1st Post.  I completely agree they really need to reduce the old 3.1 Windows hourglass cursors every where for almost everything.  However this game is 100% 1st person and I would NOT like to 3rd person RDRII  cut scene for doing simple things.  It would be too jarring.

They just hired a ton a animators and it would be super easy to starting picking very small things to animate, as bite size mini projects. Like getting into a bag/bed.  Get into a car. Drinking anything. Eating something. Picking up something.  Dropping something.  Sewing, Reading, Sharpening something...……. etc.

They already animate climbing rocks (using Will's clothes) and climbing a Mountaineering Rope (using Will's clothes) in 1st person.  So they don't need to create every sleeve/outfit in the game but I enjoy those animations ALOT more than seeing a old Windows 3.1 hourglass  with the results if you were successful at climbing or failed to make it.

Archived