Wood limbs should only respawn after blizzards

sunkbunk

It's strange to have trees decaying at a rapid rate around you with large chunks falling off daily. Sticks, or at least large/small limbs, should only spawn after heavy blizzards. There is too much wood just lying around, even at higher difficulties like stalker/interloper. It's almost like going to the grocery store every time you need some, especially seeing as though you only need a considerable amount every few days or so. 

More balanced gameplay, and it fits in with a realistic feel.

It's logical to a certain extent but it's not like trees only fall apart during storms. Heavy snowfall can cause limbs to fall off just by the sheer weight of all the snow. And quite often a tree will get damaged during a storm but not fall apart until a few days later. 

You can reduce the amount of sticks and limbs available in the custom settings. I always have it set to minimum but to be honest there's still more than you need. If you diligently collect sticks whenever you're out walking, you never need to chop up limbs or furniture for firewood ever, even on the lowest spawn settings.

Personally I think they should limit the maximum fire temperature and burn time if you're only using sticks.

Regarding blizzards causing respawns of sticks and tree limbs - that is how it works already, as far as I know. 

9 hours ago, Pillock said:

You can reduce the amount of sticks and limbs available in the custom settings. I always have it set to minimum but to be honest there's still more than you need. If you diligently collect sticks whenever you're out walking, you never need to chop up limbs or furniture for firewood ever, even on the lowest spawn settings.

Personally I think they should limit the maximum fire temperature and burn time if you're only using sticks.

Regarding blizzards causing respawns of sticks and tree limbs - that is how it works already, as far as I know. 

Personally I've never liked playing on custom settings because I don't fully understand how and what I'm changing about the game. Maybe instead of having settings for Very Low - Low - Medium - High - Very High, they could have it as Pilgrim - Voyageur - Stalker - Interloper, respectively.

Aside from that, that's supposedly not already how it works because of instances where I'm gathering wood and two more limbs spawn in front of me, or where I just walked. I'm saying that sticks, and the smaller branches that can be turned into sticks, should only spawn unless there's a heavy blizzard.

Blizzards are already known for renewing limbs, sticks and branches as Pillock pointed out and Raph hinted at this in a mailbag answer. 

I think the OP is referring to the limbs that seem to appear out of nowhere when you're just walking past, I'm not sure if that is the intended behaviour of limb spawning or just a visual glitch but it actually doesn't bother me at all, widowmakers fall whenever they want, I guess. It would be cool if there was a loud noise or even the risk of injury from it. 

I agree with the posters that sticks/branch/limb should spawn anytime, and the general opinion that no matter what setting currently is, the spawn rate is too high and needs to be reduced.  I also agree with the poster that stick fires should be scaled back on the heat - so things take longer to cook/melt on a stick only fire.  This would allow/force the player to make a choice: burn lots of sticks and waste time or use a log and get things done fast.  More choices usually makes for a better player experience.

However, IF the game is going to spawn a larger branch/limb near the player there should be a "oomph" & "snow impact" of the sound of the limb making impact.  Anyone that has ever been in the woods in winter will recognize that sound.

Finally my own minor issue with Branches:   5 minutes to use an axe to make 3 little sticks (a 4 year old child could do it faster with no practice).  This limits player choice by making Branches an auto avoid, considering picking up 3 sticks is almost instantaneous.  The Branch time should be 2 minutes for an Axe, and I suppose 5 minutes by hand with no tools  (instead of 5/10 like now).

Archived