Fewer but more punishing ankle sprains

sunkbunk

No human being sprains their ankle every time they walk up a hill.  In the past 5 minutes of my current playthrough, I've sprained my ankle 3 times, and yes I timed it. They aren't much of a nuisance however because you can just pop a few painkillers and they're gone. Sprained ankles should be less frequent, but require a day or two of bedrest and possibly a splint, along with painkillers.

Its definitely RNGesus not helping you out here. Others also are upset about it, but I think its one of those issues that is actively being worked on. I've rolled my ankle once or twice while out in the boonies, and usually why it happened was because fatigue set in and I was just plopping my feet up and down. Maybe make it so that ankle sprains only really happen when fatigue is almost maxed out and you are carrying a lot of weight?

Having sprained a couple ankles, I can tell you that TLD's rendition of the issue is totally unrealistic, and a godsend at that.  If you're going to keep stressing it, a sprained ankle takes 2-6weeks to heal to the point where you could continue being a survivor, trudging through snow, with 30kg on your back.  And that's a mild sprain.  Worse still, sprains beget sprains.

Can you imagine?

So, I'm all for TLD's more frequent sprains that can be dashed away with popping a couple of NSAIDs for instant effect. 

Yeah ankle sprains are too frequent and I don’t know why, but they seem to happen at the worst times too like when a wolf is stalking you. Them being less frequent, but more punishing is a very good idea. I feel like they will do something like that soon because of the growing number of complaints.

Maybe there could be degrees of sprain injury.  I have had many first degree sprains that are just a bother but my third degree sprain put me out of action immediately and recovery(cast staying off my foot and physical therapy) was over a month. 

Suffering by Degree
There are four different degrees of sprains, determined loosely as follows:

First degree: Results in a very minor injury to a ligament, causing minimal pain and no swelling
Second degree: A small tear in the ligament which triggers more pain and some localized swelling
Third degree: Complete rupture of the injured ligament which may result in severe pain and significant swelling
Fourth degree: Ligament and bone are separated with extreme pain and swelling; surgery is necessary for repair

spaghetti source
https://www.desmoinesworkerscomp.com/articles/the-four-degrees-of-sprain-injuries/

Sprain occurrences are very RNG but the removal of the affliction I find a bit to easy.

Using pain killers should only remove the negative aspects of a sprain for a set time.  After the pain killer effect wears off you once again have the negative aspects of the sprain.

Only after sleeping/rest will the sprain be cured.

12 hours ago, U47 said:

Sprain occurrences are very RNG but the removal of the affliction I find a bit to easy.

Using pain killers should only remove the negative aspects of a sprain for a set time.  After the pain killer effect wears off you once again have the negative aspects of the sprain.

Only after sleeping/rest will the sprain be cured.

That's actually a better idea, more realistic as well.

Archived