Harvesting Charcoal

UTC-10

When we harvest charcoal from a fire, could we end up just putting it into our pocket and perhaps still be in the presumed act of fire-making rather than having to put away the charcoal now in our hand then click on the fire to get back to what we had been doing? Maybe a lot of players actually do harvest a charcoal source and immediately start mapping, if so, then okay, but still.

There now I have gotten that off my mind.

On another note, I do wish that charcoal could have an alternate use like maybe (a big one?) to build up the temperature output of a fire, maybe like sticks, i.e. +1 C per piece, without increasing fire duration as a downside to its use. It is a relatively heavy item (0.1 kg per piece) for the increase in output heat and no fire duration effect. 

21 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

On another note, I do wish that charcoal could have an alternate use like maybe (a big one?) to build up the temperature output of a fire, maybe like sticks, i.e. +1 C per piece, without increasing fire duration as a downside to its use. It is a relatively heavy item (0.1 kg per piece) for the increase in output heat and no fire duration effect. 

What would be cool (if it's not actually completely unrealistic?) would be if you could heat up charcoal in a fire, then put it into a recycled can and take it away with you to use as an ember for starting your next fire. It could have a certain time-limit for remaining hot enough to be used in this way, and be 'ruined' after such use, so that you couldn't map with it.

Considering its current sole use in game (drawing maps) charcoal is far too heavy per piece ... no-one would attempt to draw with a piece of lumpwood charcoal of the type used for BBQs, it should be based on thin sticks and short lengths recoverable from the fire's ashes and require something like a tobacco tin to keep it in (otherwise it would crumble to dust in a pocket or backpack.

The lumpwood / nugget style shown in the in game graphic would be better to create a "coal bed" for camp fires and pot-bellied stoves, not for mapping.

Just my 2c worth.  Still love the game regardless.

Archived