What are those bloody bags ?

DarKube

Those are "quarters". What you get when "quartering" a carcass. Basically big pieces of the animal which need to be harvested, twice as heavy as the meat they'll give. The advantage in quartering is that you quickly cut up the carcass so you can carry it to safety and then get to work.

5 hours ago, Hawk said:

I believe it also continues to decay faster even after harvesting from  the sacks.

It doesn't. The "quarters" are nothing more than a split carcass, so decay is quite fast, but once harvested the meat is just like all other meat. It probably starts with lower condition because you'll often work on it while indoors (which is the main advantage of quartering), and this accelerates the decay, but I've never noticed faster decay. In my current game I harvested a quartered bear and the steaks are still good after many days.

Guest jeffpeng

I guess the main thing here to note is that it really is a carcass, technically as @Doc Feralnoted. So it doesn't benefit from being outside or suffers from being inside. It just decays. How fast exactly depends on your difficulty, but generally it decays four times as fast as raw meat outside, while only at 40% the rate of raw meat inside. Even on interloper you have several days time to harvest the meat. Also do remember that cooking adds 50% condition to meat. So unless you let it decay below 20% before cooking there is practically no chance of contracting food poisoning.

Something worth noting about quarters is that they are twice heavy as the meat harvestable. So 9.8 kilograms of deer will result in 4 bags of 4.9 kilograms each, but each bag will only yield 2.45 kilograms of harvestable meat. 

About the wisdom of quartering: I basically found it worthless for the longest time, but actually @BareSkin's arguments were eye opening to me. Basically: one hour to harvest guts, hide and make the meat transportable == nobrainer. Unless you really just need (parts of) the meat it is most of the time favorable to quarter the beast and harvest the meat somewhere safe (base, cave, otherwise safe shelter).

Quartering also is way to make a carcass quickly disappear. When you quarter you'll see sacks, guts, skin, and paws which are basically the only leftovers. Going back to my quartered bear: the following morning I passed by its location and the paws were gone, so it probably does wonders for the respawning algorythm. I suggest you don't quarter wolves.

Guest jeffpeng
3 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

Quartering also is way to make a carcass quickly disappear. When you quarter you'll see sacks, guts, skin, and paws which are basically the only leftovers. Going back to my quartered bear: the following morning I passed by its location and the paws were gone, so it probably does wonders for the respawning algorythm. I suggest you don't quarter wolves.

Exactly right. Quartering them makes them respawn faster. Good point. Unless you hunt wolves for food (as I do on occasion :D) you shouldn't quarter them indeed.

Archived