Good load of loot from aircraft wreck

peteloud

I've just returned to the Mountaineer's Hut from the top of Timberwolf Mountain, (Voyager level).  I got great load of loot from aircraft wreck.  It took two trips to get it down.  I had to leave a lot of decent stuff too.

I took a standard bedroll and a bearskin bedroll intending to leave the standard bedroll high up on the mountain for emergencies. Having your bedroll destroyed in a bear or wolf attack leaves you in a very difficult situation.  However I realised that the bearskin bedroll deteriorates quickly and is a problem to repair, you need another cured bearskin.  At the same time I realised that if left my standard bedroll which is easy to repair, on the mountain I might have problems down below. So I brought them both back down.  I was surprised not to find a usable bedroll anywhere in the TWM area.

screen_(889, 162, 345)_e67e5579-59ed-405a-bd6a-d406bf4dc558.png

20 hours ago, peteloud said:

I found three, perhaps four, bedrolls but all of them were ruined.

You took too long to go visit TWM then. Items that spawn on the ground are subjected to world degradation (unlike items in the containers, which do not actually spawn until you open the container for the first time). Bedroll counts as clothing, I think, so the world generally takes down its durability bit by bit. From now on, in any new area you visit (unless its a new region added to the game) you will be finding ruined pieces of clothing, food and bedrolls.

Or maybe you just got unlucky that all of the bedrolls spawned with durability of around 30% and degraded fully till you got there.

That explains it, thanks.  TWM was the last area I visited and it was around 700 days.   Lots of clothing in TWM was ruined too.

The lack of bedrolls is becoming a problem.  I am quite happy to just wander around exploring for many days, but occasionally I lose a bedroll to a bear or wolf and by now I suspect that all the standard bedrolls are ruined.  Trying to maintain bearskin bedrolls becomes a major consideration.  They deteriorate quickly and take much time to replace.  It means spending much time in or near a place with a bed, a work bench and an easy to kill bear.

On 12/11/2018 at 1:01 PM, peteloud said:

That explains it, thanks.  TWM was the last area I visited and it was around 700 days.   Lots of clothing in TWM was ruined too.

The lack of bedrolls is becoming a problem.  I am quite happy to just wander around exploring for many days, but occasionally I lose a bedroll to a bear or wolf and by now I suspect that all the standard bedrolls are ruined.  Trying to maintain bearskin bedrolls becomes a major consideration.  They deteriorate quickly and take much time to replace.  It means spending much time in or near a place with a bed, a work bench and an easy to kill bear.

If bedrolls are scarce in your game, keep 'em well repaired!  Or, if you're going bear hunting, find someplace to stash them while you hunt.

On 12/11/2018 at 7:30 AM, Mroz4k said:

Items that spawn on the ground are subjected to world degradation (unlike items in the containers, which do not actually spawn until you open the container for the first time).

I'm reading this as you're saying that items in containers do not degrade?  I'm positive they do.

On 12/11/2018 at 8:30 AM, Mroz4k said:

Items that spawn on the ground are subjected to world degradation (unlike items in the containers, which do not actually spawn until you open the container for the first time). 

Like @hozz1235 I don't believe this is true anymore.  I think ages ago it was true but has long since changed.  

Perhaps there needs to be multiple rates of degradation for an object.   Objects just lying around unused, such as these bedrolls in TWM,  should degrade much slower than objects which are in use.  Of course I have no idea what the degradation algorithm is, perhaps this already applies.

2 minutes ago, peteloud said:

Perhaps there needs to be multiple rates of degradation for an object.   Objects just lying around unused, such as these bedrolls in TWM,  should degrade much slower than objects which are in use.  Of course I have no idea what the degradation algorithm is, perhaps this already applies.

There has been quite a bit of discussion on the "realism" of the degradation system.  For example, a pair of leather boots, tucked safely in a dresser/box should be good for...well, decades.  But, as Hinterland has stated, that don't always go for realism in the game.

Archived