Many items

enewmen

Hi all.  Just a newbie.   The Long Dark is a great game and with with many suggestions.  Here is my wish-list worth 2 cents.  Sorry if I missed an item already discussed.

1kg bars of gold in the bank vault.  Can't eat it, burn it, keep you warm, heal you, or craft with it. But some will try to collect them anyway.
Natural bandage. Must be a way if the devs want it possible to live for years with enough skill and luck.
Natural lamp oil - used for 1000's of years, must be a way.  OR at least some way to make a torch with natural oil or tree-sap. 
RARE rifle with scope.  I see NO need for more guns and ammo, but a few rare rifles with scopes can make target shooting easier and fun - and more humane.
Able to craft harvest normal "cured" leather from a pelt for repairs.  Maybe a high-level skill.

At least one detailed map of each area - like what's in the story-mode.

old  items - my take..
Tent - Similar to the snow shelter. No need to carry so many sticks, but you can take it with you like the sleeping bag.
rabbit or "sinister looking" wolf hat
natural whetstone - like the normal stone, but white in color and near rivers - hard to detect.
broken bones - legs and arms behave different.  Can cure with 10+ days rest or rare morphine I guess.
compass - let the player see it won't work.  Should keep the same direction for about an hour (game time).
binoculars - don't see why not.  Can tell if the black dot is a rock or wolf.
RARE bow saw or "Paul Bunyan" Axe - cut bigger logs. Also heavy.  Not something to keep with you at all times.
Fire by bow and stick - maybe only for 4-5 level players.

Make the whetstone and flint last a LOT longer.  More realistic.

thanks for reading .

16 hours ago, DaveO said:

Maybe barrels full of lamp oil available at Hibernia Whale Processing from which we can refill the jerry cans? :)

Well, if there is enough oil to  illuminate the lighthouse, then there should be TONS for a survivor. If there is 1  place on the whole island that has abundant oil for refilling, it will still be difficult to carry many jerry cans across multiple maps.   I don't want to see more than 1 building of abundant oil..

7 hours ago, enewmen said:

Well, if there is enough oil to  illuminate the lighthouse, then there should be TONS for a survivor. If there is 1  place on the whole island that has abundant oil for refilling, it will still be difficult to carry many jerry cans across multiple maps.   I don't want to see more than 1 building of abundant oil..

The fact that hibernia appears abandoned makes me think that whatever oil may even be stored there was most likely not stored properly. I'd also wager that the geomagnetic event would've caused any sealed/stored products to become unsecured and maybe even spilled or become no longer sealed and maybe contaminated. Maybe it has a lot of oil, but I would wager that not all of it should be unusable, just going by the fact that everything is a mess.

10 hours ago, deathbydanish said:

The fact that hibernia appears abandoned makes me think that whatever oil may even be stored there was most likely not stored properly. I'd also wager that the geomagnetic event would've caused any sealed/stored products to become unsecured and maybe even spilled or become no longer sealed and maybe contaminated. Maybe it has a lot of oil, but I would wager that not all of it should be unusable, just going by the fact that everything is a mess.

Then it seems like when lamp oil is gone, it's gone forever like matches.   Need to make a campfire with a magnifying glass then pull a torch from it, then hope it doesn't go out before you leave the cave.  A long indoor path is a bigger problem because no campfires indoors.  I mentioned above the flint should also wear out a LOT slower. 

Can't edit a old post.

But when I said " Natural bandage " , I mean crafting a bandage from something renewable other than cloth.  Maybe bark or a pelt?

I'm starting to run out of cloth and bandages and looking for old clothes - the knife is also getting dull.  Lucky I have a few spare knifes.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:28 PM, enewmen said:

Can't edit a old post.

But when I said " Natural bandage " , I mean crafting a bandage from something renewable other than cloth.  Maybe bark or a pelt?

I'm starting to run out of cloth and bandages and looking for old clothes - the knife is also getting dull.  Lucky I have a few spare knifes.

A lot of houses and cabins have curtains and bathroom towels in them which can be harvested without a knife for 2 or 3 cloth pieces each. There is an incredible amount of cloth available in the game from this source. For example, the Coastal Townsite alone has about 200 pieces of harvestable cloth, depending on how many of the houses are intact.

On 12/11/2018 at 3:03 AM, Pillock said:

A lot of houses and cabins have curtains and bathroom towels in them which can be harvested without a knife for 2 or 3 cloth pieces each. There is an incredible amount of cloth available in the game from this source. For example, the Coastal Townsite alone has about 200 pieces of harvestable cloth, depending on how many of the houses are intact.

Didn't check harvesting cloth without a knife yet.

Yes,. there is a lot of available cloth and old clothes in the world if you look hard enough. But I was thinking of a way of renewing cloth (to help live forever in perpetual  winter if you're into that) .   I found shores can sometimes wash up old clothes VERY slowly.  So it seems its VERY difficult but possible to have available cloth forever if you just don't wear out clothes or bleed faster than cloth available in the world.   I'm now looking for a "retirement" home when I clear all the maps.

BTW, the Timberwolf Mountain summit was a nice discovery :)

On 12/6/2018 at 3:13 PM, Moll said:

You can burn cash if it will satisfy you.

Here in the great white north cash has been turned even more useless than FIAT currency.  The crap is plastic and will probably releases poison fumes when burned.

The cash in game in my opinion should reflect what is currently in circulation.

I'd like an option to siphon fuel out of vehicles. Obviously, this could be used as an accelerant. The residents of Great Bear would have taken this fuel source long before our character's arrival, but give us an option to check the fuel tank anyway. The denizens of the land may have missed a few vehicles. Desperation breeds chaos and chaotic situations incite confusion. Indeed, one could benefit from such mass hysteria.

I believe the whale oil would have turned solid due to The Great White North's wintry conditions. Although it's still a capable fuel source, I thought this deserved a mention.

Sperm whales, although immensely rare among shallow Canadian waters, have been sighted recently. If a specimen became beached, spermaceti candles, anyone?

An option to carve fat from larger animals would be an excellent addition. Animal fat has been used to create fire since our ancestors roamed the glacial Pleistocene Epoch and such.

Just a thought.

On 14/12/2018 at 7:33 AM, enewmen said:

Didn't check harvesting cloth without a knife yet.

You can tear apart clothes, curtains, towels and such without knife. Abd without knife you can rip cardboard boxes for tinder, crates and some chairs for reclaimed wood and small brancges for sticks. You can even harvest a carcass without a blade, according to your skill and how hard it's frozen. If you can avoid using a tool you definitely should. Keep tools for fighting, quartering, chopping large logs and furniture, or when you're in a real hurry.

• 1 month later...

Archived