More choice of characters for survival

AlexandraRussia

Hello everyone, we all know that in the survival mode, there are two characters to choose from, right?
 And what if there would be an opportunity to choose for example to survive as a teenager. Well, well, what or an elderly character.
 Yes, in the game of growing up there would not be .a means the game would be all the same.
 But there is one thing.
 An older character would tire faster, just like a teenager.
 Yes, and the clothes would have to hem.
 If something is not so sorry.

• Upvote 1

If a character has at the start already a negative characteristic then I know I would not choose that character but if it came with a positive characteristic that would balance out the negative will that might be something.  

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng

Not sure I like the "older character would tire faster" idea. A dude in my neighborhood is easily in his 60's and he runs marathons - literally. Also Will and Astrid also don't have different physical abilities, even though it can be argued that women and men have different physical properties. In my opinion that's just an artificial level of detail that really doesn't add anything valuable. You don't want to play the old guy because he tires faster or gets twice the ankle sprains. You wanna play him because he's a badass and cracks the best punch lines.

6 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

You wanna play him because he's a badass and cracks the best punch lines.

The bullish character with more years might be a desired character IRL and in game:

• All skills begin at level 3.
  • More grumbling, less whining, and best comments, (walked to TWM elementary school everyday).
  • Stamina depletes and recovers 10% slower, (But is equal to base character).
  • Requires less sleep to recover condition.
  • Add a 10% buff to fishing, hunting, and crafting.
  • Knows stories from lore for all regions of Great Bear.

The idea from the OP may have much to offer. :coffee:

Edited by s7mar7in
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I like it.

Teenager:

• Learns skills 2x as fast, but can only get to level 3
  • More whining -- especially about missing technology.  "Sure miss my ipod."
  • Requires 10hrs sleep for what normal gets in 8hrs (fatigue recovery -20% rate)
  • Stamina depletes 10% faster, but recovers 20% quicker  (or stamina is 20% lower, and recovers 20% faster)
  • 10% increase in sprint speed
  • Develops "Cabin Fever" at double the rate
  • 50% resistance to spraining ankles ^_^
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Not sure I like the "older character would tire faster" idea. A dude in my neighborhood is easily in his 60's and he runs marathons - literally. Also Will and Astrid also don't have different physical abilities, even though it can be argued that women and men have different physical properties. In my opinion that's just an artificial level of detail that really doesn't add anything valuable. You don't want to play the old guy because he tires faster or gets twice the ankle sprains. You wanna play him because he's a badass and cracks the best punch lines.

To provide another perspective I've seen some poorly aged 40 year olds, that I thought were far older. Our society is full of sedentary work unfortunately and a lot of people who ought to be physically capable, aren't.

Right now I'm in the middle of snowbird season, my condo is currently surrounded by Canadian retirees, none of them seem too fragile health wise, everyone seems physically independent. They might move a little slower, but other than that I don't observe any major hindrances from their age.

This could be lead to character classes, with wildly different skill sets. Take me. I'm 42, I'm a kali escrima instructor, with a university degree in natural sciences and train in mma six hours per week. I'm slightly better than average at diy, but I don't know jack about guns and can barely sow a button on a shirt. I could fit in the "barbarian" class. There are people here with extensive knowledge of guns, there are medics and all kind of people with different skills. Adding the age variety would lead to a slippery slope AND I'D LOVE IT!

• Upvote 2

Guest jeffpeng

The problem with character classes that have different skills is that then you don't play the character you most identify with, but the character you think fits your play style best - or which you simply consider the best overall choice. Basing this on demographics I think is a very, very bad idea and will upset people that are a member of said demographic and feel themselves misrepresented. It's something else about character and attitude. That you can easily sell as individual personality of the character.

I thought of something similar the other day but in a slightly different way. Instead of doing anything based off age just have professionals with perks.

The Engineer: Can repair things with a 50% reduction in tool condition loss, can create arrowheads out of tin cans but the arrows have low durability (regular arrows but they are created at 20% durability), tools last 30% longer. Starts with repair 75% maxed out.

The Outdoorsman: Fishing and Rifles start at 4, all animals detection radius 30% smaller and can only have up to two fragrance, creates 4 lines per cured gut.

The Tailor: Can repair clothing 30% faster and starts out at rank 4, sewing kits and fishing hooks last 50% longer, can create clothing from animal hides 30% faster, can cure hides 50% faster.

The Athlete: Can run 50% longer and 20% faster, requires 15% less sleep, requires 10% less calories.

Those are just an example of some classes. But I really like the idea of having certain perks you can choose, perhaps just the perks themselves without any skill buffs to make it simpler.

48 minutes ago, Blueshy said:

I thought of something similar the other day but in a slightly different way. Instead of doing anything based off age just have professionals with perks.

The Engineer: Can repair things with a 50% reduction in tool condition loss, can create arrowheads out of tin cans but the arrows have low durability (regular arrows but they are created at 20% durability), tools last 30% longer. Starts with repair 75% maxed out.

The Outdoorsman: Fishing and Rifles start at 4, all animals detection radius 30% smaller and can only have up to two fragrance, creates 4 lines per cured gut.

The Tailor: Can repair clothing 30% faster and starts out at rank 4, sewing kits and fishing hooks last 50% longer, can create clothing from animal hides 30% faster, can cure hides 50% faster.

The Athlete: Can run 50% longer and 20% faster, requires 15% less sleep, requires 10% less calories.

Those are just an example of some classes. But I really like the idea of having certain perks you can choose, perhaps just the perks themselves without any skill buffs to make it simpler.

This is starting to remind me of Shadowrun, I think if done well this can add flavor to the game.

8 hours ago, gnomegnine said:

uhh... what? teenager with access to tech? what?

Good thing you pointed that out. A teenager with NO access to technology would develop cabin fever 5x faster, and "passing time" will count for it as well even if outdoors. Time spent indoors during an aurora, surrounded by hopelessly fragged flashing computers would count as 10x for cabin fever purpose. This could wear out after a couple of full fledged cabin fever episodes.:D

• Like 3

Guest jeffpeng
15 hours ago, Blueshy said:

That's basically very strong feat badges. Like... basically a super-badge. But while I get that those are just crude examples it very handidly shows the problem of balancing such mutally exclusive choices: The Outdoorsman would be broken OP, while the Tailor is basically useless. There really isn't a lot of choice to anything if there is a "best" choice. But I'm probably biased here because I already believe that the regular feats (Efficient Machine, Cold Fusion, etc) are a bad idea.

It's basically the same problem with everything that offers you a choice of costomization which affects gameplay. There always is a best variant, a best "Mastery Page" a best "Skill Tree", a best "Perk Distribution" etc, while others are automatically bad. There is no real choice in such a thing. Chosing to be an old doode or a flippin teen gurl is a choice, chosing weather to have red or green hair is a choice, choosing weather to wear a yellow or blue parka is a choice. "Chosing" the best skill, the best item, the best build .... is no choice. It's figuring out the right answer.

13 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

Good thing you pointed that out. A teenager with NO access to technology would develop cabin fever 5x faster, and "passing time" will count for it as well even if outdoors. Time spent indoors during an aurora, surrounded by hopelessly fragged flashing computers would count as 10x for cabin fever purpose. This could wear out after a couple of full fledged cabin fever episodes.:D

Lol I was thinking because teens spend so much time indoors, they wouldn't get cabin fever as fast. but, just sitting in a cabin, I understand that.

P.S Doc, how's that moosehide artillery cannon coming along?

On 6/12/2018 at 9:21 PM, Moll said:

More characters are pointless. Character are you. What character is capable of is up to you. Like Left 4 dead, characters are just interface for player. Player's skill matter, character's skill or perk doesn't

That's rather deep but it didn't hit the mark. Every player has a different playing style, but characters are all the same. Going back to my weird self, it's not like my characters can go around with a knife always at the ready and slash wolves' throats in midair before the struggle starts.

Luckily wild dog attacks are not frequent in my neighborhood, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I would just like to customize the guy or girl just basic things like hair, skin, eye color. And maybe since they have hired more people maybe a different voices for both characters which could make your character from the voice alone make them seem older or younger which ever your leaning towards. 

• 1 month later...

Hello :).
 Here I have a thought.
 For example, a survivor, a police officer and his task would be the same as all survivors in a game.
 Survive.
 And his initial skills would be handling firearms, hand-to-hand fighting and first aid.
 And how did he become a survivor?
 It's very simple, he and his partner accompanied the bus with the prisoners.
 Well in the storyline.
 They hit a snowstorm, the car turned over.
 His partner died, and he survived.
 But the wolves blocked his way and he had to drop all the bullets in the service weapon on them.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar idea in starting gear kits for players, since so much gear in the game follows different themes.

One was to have an injured skier with a full skier kit (jacket boots gloves exc) but also a broken leg that requires care.

Have a workman that come with work pants gloves boots exc... tool kit and repair skill boost... but slower growth in other stat learning.

a soldier with combat gear, several MREs and a rifle... but PTSD that causes other issues.

the goal is not to make play easier by better starting gear, just change the flavor of the challenge.

• Like 1