Allappa Bay

SneakySquid

Draft III A:The precision enhancements is here!

TLDfjordmap_P.png.080e4a63acd8d0c7e15934f7ba1d91cd.png

Legend:

M:Potential Maple Sapling

B:Potential Birch Sapling

L:Potential old man's beard lichen

R:Potential Reichi mushrooms

RH:Potential Rose Hips

DC:Potential dear carcass

Red dot:Potential Prepper cache

Little black dots:Human body's(if its on a yellow zone its in the building)

Thank you for reading

-SneakySquid

On 1. 12. 2018 at 2:03 PM, SneakySquid said:

Sorry bout the quote, i can't seem to remove it on my phone. 

I am happy to see such a discussion around this topic.  Ive seen a couple of people in here doubtful that Hinterland would use this concept. I wonder - why do you think so? Im curious. 

Reason I am mentioning that is because suggestions for entire regions are somewhat rare - but from my experience, Hinterland pays close attention to them. As I linked a couple of old region suggestions to @SneakySquid in a PM, it would seem that the idea of Hushed river valley came from 3 different region suggestions by the community which were skillfully combined together by Hinterland into one amazing region - while they added some features of their own - like ice caves. I might link these old suggestions later  for those curious. 

That said, I don't think it's necessary to make maps and plan the  loot too much. Hinterland is likely to use parts of the idea,  probably  not the whole concept, unless we make it truly perfect. Even then I applaud to you for making maps,  because such visualisation helps everyone to better understand your concept. 

I really like the idea of an emergency shelter in the tunnel - it would fit in there perfectly in my opinion. 

Guest jeffpeng

I guess you kinda answer yourself here @Mroz4k :) HL won't take a concept as a whole and just go ahead and implement it, but I'm sure they read and listen and pick what they like.

For better or for worse those people at HL seem to have a very clear vision of what the game should look like and they stick to it with admirable consistently over the course of several years. Hitting the nail on the head with a suggestion is hard under such circumstances, I guess. But yeah, I'm pretty sure they do listen.

Pretty much every map has its own theme - even the transition zones, and the bigger maps all have a very specific gameplay element to them that defines them in some fort or sort. (When I say bigger maps I don't mean BR and DP as those alsways "felt" like halfway done to me.) That's actually remarkable and something that distincts TLD from "similar" games. So for a proposal to be seriously considered becoming part of an original concept I guess it would need both a unique overarching theme and a clearly defined gameplay concept.

Homing in on the mysterious Forest Talkers is not a bad start in my opinion. On the contrary: exploring lore is something that makes game worlds feel alive - and for a game in which everything is dead TLD does a marvelous job of making itself felt alive. The map itself feels a bit small, more like DP or BR - which in itself isn't terrible. As for theming an layout again I think of BR and DP, basically making it a blend of both, and that's probably where this kinda falters a bit - not saying it's bad, but saying it would need this particular "spark" to make it stand out.

13 hours ago, SneakySquid said:

Thank you for your answers.I know that HL probably wont add Allappaa Bay entirely to TLD but I don't really care I do this for pleasure and the fact that this might be added to TLD is just a bonus for me.

I also like to think about it. It's a good workout for the mind. Besides, nobody forbids us to talk about it. Thank you for this topic. 

I want to try to draw this location as I see it.   If I do something I will definitely share.

Guest jeffpeng

Please don't misunderstand me - I find it thrilling that people have the imagination and creativity to simply come up with something like this. My scientist brain just could not even if I wanted to. So please, @SneakySquid, keep at it. I just wanted to point out how little is actually missing to go from a great concept to an amazing concept.  B|

By spark, I would understand the kind of feeling you get when you first enter such a region, spend some time in it, during your first experience. For example, ML would be more calming, feels like a calm tucked away place from the civilization where people would go spend time leasurely in the nature. While Forlorn Muskeg is a place where you would NOT like to be - for miles nothing but ice, a little bit of vegetation here and there. Dangerous wildlife. Bone chilling wind and cold, sapping out the heat out of your body. But, then the more you get accustomed to the nature, you start seeing it as a harsh but plentiful region, which provides a lot of what you might need.

I think the issue here might be for some people that this region would seem similar to the other ones. I doubt it. Broken Railroad and Desolation point have a lot in common and yet noone really picked up on it. And trying to come up with something entirely new may not be such a good idea, either - trying to force something new can ironically lead to narrowed down thinking. In my rich experience, the best ideas are usually very plain, simple even, and the best ideas are often as simple as a combination of two ordinary things. Like Hushed river valley - that region is gorgeous - and it was born of an idea for a "deep forest" which would be more dense, and a combination of a various valleys and high cliffs which created sort of a canyon.

Guest jeffpeng

I guess Mystery Lake is the most generic map, but it has an underlying theme of being both an abandoned vacation resort and a failed industrial site. The areas around the Dam and Clearcut tell a story, as do the Camp Office and the Lake. Also: The Dam with it's huge interior, post-industrial feeling and creepy audio setting is one of the most iconic places in the game. Gameplay wise there really isn't much, that's true. But remember it's pretty much the first map. And you cannot deny that the overall map design is among the most beautiful you have seen in TLD.

FM, while being my least favorite map, is actually genius concept wise. You have these far and wide frozen wastes and can spot destinations and dangers far ahead, but all the while you are caught in a maze of invisible walls of thin ice. It was also the first map without real, reliable shelter, which accentuates the overall feeling of being lost in a hopeless frozen wasteland. You learn your paths and ways around the map with time, but if you recall your first ventures away from the saving railway .... it's probably been a rather harsh introduction.

You are right that the "spark" is easy to find on TWM, and it is also quite obvious in HRV. But something maybe less obvious might be the Coastal Highway and the story it tells. Similar to Mystery lake in that it has a lot of shelter it also has a "lifeline" that stretches throughout the map: ML has the railway, CH has the road. And the road is its own protagonist here. Being stranded in a frozen wasteland devoid of human contact and hope finding a road must be an exilirating experience. But no matter which direction you travel: all you find is emptyness and decay, and ultimately the road either blocked or broken. That this road extends all the way until Desolate point (just as the railway runs all the way to broken railroad) is just a cherry on top.

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2018 at 8:03 AM, SneakySquid said:

@Mroz4k if the forest talkers where not terrorists how to you explain the guy in carter hydro with all the arrows around him?

That's in the sandbox not the story. Chances are he got stuck behind the door and used arrows to carve tallies into the door.

Archived