Allappa Bay

SneakySquid

1-Naming and localization of the Allappaa Bay:

Allappaa is the Inuinnaqtun word for cold whether.As we will see later in this post it's quite a fitting for this region.

The Allappa Bay is located opposite Crumbling Highway,here: 

5c01808dbecee_TLDFjord.thumb.png.a614e1fa26b6f1bcb21695310e99f574.png  

2-Basic plan and locations:

5c024bb9afdc4_TLDfjordmap.png.39bfabbc5b87d72a842afde9da4e6b4f.png 

Legend:
The blue dots are fishing huts.

Black lines are cliffs.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Light blue zones are thin ice.

3-Lore and description:

The Allappaa Bay is an intermediate zone harder than ML or CH but easier than DP or BH.It has 6 man made shelters (only 2 are viable though) and 1 cave.Its general weather scheme is windy and cold.

A-Fisher man's hut:(examples of loot for Voyageur)

A hut resembling mountaineer's hut in TWM though a bit warmer(it will only become sub-zero during a hefty blizzard) but with similar loot (light shell's,fishing tackle,trail boots,a bit of fire wood,etc) .It has a crafting table.

B-Search and rescue tower:(examples of loot for Voyageur)

A tower resembling Forestry lookout but stacked cram full of radio equipment(cool place to be during an aurora) worse loot than Forestry lookout (no rifle). There is a path leading down to the boat house from here.

C-Boat House:(examples of loot for Voyageur)

A Big house containing some search and rescue boats it is an exterior location it does no contain much loot(fishing tackle,cereal bars,etc). 

D-The wreck of the Aurora*: (examples of loot for Voyageur)

Lore:The Aurora* was a oil prospecting ship bound for the arctic circle however while passing near Great bear the Forest Talkers Eco-terrorist group(hence the cache) boarded it,killed the crew,and set it into a collision course with the Dog rock.

The Aurora's* hull is smashed open on the Dog rock thus leaving access to the hold.There are two ways to enter the cabins either by using a rope slung over the rail or if you have a pry bar by a door in the hold however you exit out of the boat by the hold without a pry bar.The holds loot is pretty mediocre (mostly metal shelves,maybe some candy bars) but the is a buffer memory to collect and some quality tools.The cabins and the deck however contain much better loot(Mariner's pea jacket,MRE,hacksaw,distress pistol,canned food,snow pants,thermal underwear,etc)and obviously some Forest Talker gear(arrows,a note).

*The Aurora is a pretty generic name so please suggest a better a name in the discussion. 

E-Cave+Forest Talkers cache:(examples of loot for Voyageur)

The cave is a basic two entry cave with the cache located in the second cave entry  from fisher man's hut the cache contains mostly craftables(arrow head's,maybe a bow,maybe some dear pants and boots).

Thank you for reading -

Sneaky Squid

Hello. Quite nice suggestion for a region.  I like it,  though personally I would suggest a couple of changes. 

The name of the ship - it shouldn't be Aurora, not because it's a bad name for a ship, but because we want to avoid miscommunication "aurora the location" and "aurora the TLD phenomenon". I agree Siren (singular) would be a pretty cool name for thw ship. Icarus sounds good too but could be seen as a bit ironic by some. 

Also, a bit of a change to the lore, too - nothing indicates that Forest talkers were actual terrorists. Just eco activists. I doubt they would board a ship to kill a crew and then use the ship to crash into a rock (spilling fuel and poisoning the environment) in the name of protecting the environment. It literally goes against everything they believe in.  Whenever people say eco terrorists, imagine rebellious hippies who vandalise industrial property, but never at expense of nature, and they rarely ever are armed and kill. 

Change to lore: due to the EMP, the ship electrical systems were knocked out and the ship ran into the dog rock. For that reason, I would like to see a fairly  newly looking wreck, unlike that old rust bucket that Rikken is.

Finally, my possibly biggest issue yet - the placement of the location. We dont need to have so many ocean regions placed together. Which is why I would suggest that its connected to Broken railroad region from the other side. I think it would be better displaced this way, more evenly. Such a huge concentration of ocean regions in close vicinity would greatly favour beachcombing otherwise.

Maybe i would add a small railway station there to enf the tracks from Broken railroad region. 

All in all, nice suggestion, very well thought through region. 

1 hour ago, SneakySquid said:

@Mroz4k if the forest talkers where not terrorists how to you explain the guy in carter hydro with all the arrows around him?

That is post-apocalypse.  And the guy there was a member of the Forest talkers.  Why would they kill each other? Its more likely he was killed by one of the inmates. 

43 minutes ago, SneakySquid said:

Allappa bay

Reading this post, what stood out from the other great ideas was the Lore…this is the heart of it all and I’ll look forward to your version II edits.

Please consider these concept revisions:

Forest Talkers would be an organized group of non-violent folks with good intentions.

In real life they might act to cripple heavy machinery by using water to cause freeze damage.

The loggers would not view them as a physical threat, so long as they did not spike trees to prevent cutting, as this is viewed as an extreme hazard to the chainsaw operators.

(An unpolished idea):

Lore: The oil prospecting ship bound for the arctic circle was forced to divert away from logs that had been floated into the harbor by the Forest Talkers. While their intent was to block access to Great Bear to prevent oil drilling, it had the unintended consequence of causing the ship to collide with Dog Rock.

The ship sank quickly in the shallows and soon become the only hope of shelter for everyone.

Strong opinions and politics were left out on the ice and all efforts were suddenly redirected toward simple survival. During the days that followed, the ship’s crew and the eco-terrorists huddled together and joined forces in a losing struggle against the extreme cold and spooked vicious wildlife that combined to make any escape from the ship impossible.

Enjoyed your ideas my friend. :coffee:

I'm pretty sure they're terrorists. They use vandalism for intimidation. The guys at the maitenence shed in Broken Railroad were pretty scared and I am pretty sure getting stones thrown at you, even if you're in a truck is considered an act of violence.

Not to mention their base had a gun and ammunition.

Activists do not destroy things and instill fear to get their point accross.

Guest jeffpeng

Having done my share of "activism" in my time I can assure you that destroying things very much is part of the process and that some people are very much willing to condone violence if they deem it necessary to achieve their "righteous" goal or believe they are exerting it in defense of others (like animals or trees). It's a general misconception that people that advocate animal rights or environmental protection are automatically pacifists. That being said: the vast majority of people that pursue such goals consider violence a measure of last resort or completely abstain from it. Having a commando of eco "terrorists" storm a boat and annihilate the crew sounds a bit far fetched, even for me.

But other than that I like the proposition. Very "alive" vision of a nice little region with good references to the lore.

While I doubt that such complete suggestions for regions will ever be taken up directly by the devs - I assume they have their own ideas - this thread is great food for thought for when modding becomes officially supported (presumably after Wintermute is completed).

The potential for new regions like this one is really exciting, if map creation and editing is made available in a relatively user-friendly way. 

Hello everybody.You are all waiting for this(I hope)draft 2 of Allappaa bay!Here goes:

1-Naming and localization of Allappa Bay:Speacial Thanks to @Mroz4k:

The Allappa bay has changed position since draft 1 it now connected to BR via SS(for more details on seismic summit check point 4)here :

5c03b5a9c6f65_TLDFjord2.thumb.png.65db610a74343db865b4e0d72c0fbf7f.png

2-Basic plan and locations:special thanks to @Moll:

5c03b67a65590_TLDfjordmap2.png.756eca3c562d660a10950252ec37dfd4.png

Legend:

Blue dots are fishing huts
Black lines are cliffs

Light blue zones are thin ice/open water

Red lines are rail way tracks

3-Lore and description:special thanks to @s7mar7in, @jeffpeng, @MarrowStone , @Mroz4k, @k0s0ff

The Allappaa Bay is an intermediate zone harder than ML or CH but easier than DP or BH.It has 6 man made shelters (only 2 are viable though) and 1 cave.Its general weather scheme is windy and cold.

A-Fisher man's hut:

B-Search and rescue tower:

C-Boat house:

E-Cave+Forest talker cache:

D-Wreck of the Siren:

The Siren was a oil prospecting ship bound for the arctic circle however while passing near Great bear the Forest Talkers Eco-terrorist group(hence the cache) wanting to avoid it's passing near Great Bear fired dissuasive  arrows and thew stones at the captain of the Siren wanting to avoid smashing the Eco-terrorists bats went of course alas it made full steam in to dog rock.The Eco-terrorists managed to save the whole crew and put the on a train bound for CH.

For the loot of A,B,C,E and D for D see wreck of the Aurora.

F- Broken Station:(examples of loot for voyageur)

A small train station containing only a station masters house.The loot is pretty mediocre(sports jacket,socks...).

G-Cave island:(examples of loot for voyageur)

A small rocky island with a cave witch served as a rear base for the Forest Talkers during the dissuasive battle against the Siren.Loot is mostly medical gear(old mans beard bandages, reishi and rose hip tea...).

4-Seismic Summit transition Zone:

A-Naming and localization of the Seismic Summit transition Zone:

The Seismic Summit is pretty well named since it's a summit(well two) and it's earthquake prone witch makes for some interesting game play as we will see later its located in between Allappaa Bay and Broken Railroad.

B-Basic plan and locations:

5c041643d96a7_SismicSummit.png.d75b97339312b72df3d6ea4190c7bed7.png

Legend:

Red lines are rail tracks.

Black lines are cliffs.

Green lines are subterranean sections.

Light blue dots are emplacements for mountaineering ropes.

Light gray lines are the mountain trail.

C-Lore and description:

Seismic Summit is a medium difficulty transition zone.It's general weather scheme is basically a constant fog

a-Trail Lodge:(examples of loot for voyageur)

A little hut resembling trampers homestead but with worse loot(no rifle,nor mukluks,little food...).

b-Rail Tunnel:

A long rail tunnel,because of seismic activity on some games it will have collapsed forcing the player to take the harder route over the mountain trail.

c-Rabbit Valley

A small valley cram full with rabbits.    

Thank you for reading -Sneaky Squid                                                                                        

Guest jeffpeng

Maybe a bit off topic, but long tunnels usually have emergency shelters inside of them. It would make for a great explorable location, maybe themed after the company operating the railways (afaik that was jackrabbit, as seen on one of the locomotives in BR), with a lot of "abandoned industrial flair" which I personally am a big fan of. I always thought that the bunkers in TLD, especially the static one in PV, could have had a bit more to them. Such locations just have their very own appeal. Anyone who ever explored an abandoned bunker / underground railway station etc knows what I mean (Berlin is an amazing city for such a thing :D )

11 hours ago, SneakySquid said:

Hello everybody.You are all waiting for this(I hope)draft 2 of Allappaa bay!Here goes:

I really like the new legend of the ship. It would be nice to create a concept art to this idea has acquired a more tangible image. Thank you. I vote for the idea.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:18 AM, SneakySquid said:

Allappaa is the Inuinnaqtun word for cold whether

When reading the OP, what grabbed my attention was the idea of an isolated small area of the map filled with new exploration and alive with a mysterious story frozen in time.

The added “Lore” is what felt special.

While it is very unlikely the HDT will use any of this idea, my hope is that this forum is a way for the developers to hear what is making this game so special to the members of the Hinterland community.

12 hours ago, k0s0ff said:

It would be nice to create a concept art to this idea

A quick internet search for Canadian Artic Exploration finds images that depict the basic color pallet and landscapes for concept art . 
Intrepid-Travel-NorthwestPassage_2018_Day-11-Devon-Island-6425.jpg.98efc40394691e6cfbb2dbbc375b0f17.jpg

It could be an exciting moment if we were to find and explore this frozen camp somewhere within Allappaa Bay.
(Ship and cargo, Plane and runway, Snow-Cat, Cabin and weather station, Snow Shelter, sleds)
5099_VlAkvMMI.jpg.5102ef09ea360047bb6f860352390309.jpg

Please know this is only my opinion; "less is sometimes more", a small location with a big story of life may be the greatest part of Allappaa Bay.

Aim small and miss small my friends. :coffee:

1 hour ago, s7mar7in said:

A quick internet search for Canadian Artic Exploration finds images that depict the basic color pallet and landscapes for concept art . 

Hi. Exactly. I think that the color palette can be taken from the screenshots of the game. But the photo search is awesome!

I think we need a more detailed map, with more details of the landscape and designations.For example such what make up for the game...

Archived