Survival Snow Shelter Placement

Ice Hole

Often I want to use a snow shelter only to spend much time trying to place them to go from red to green.  It seems there are limitations on where they can be placed.

The obvious limits are snow and level ground, free from obstructions (usually sticks and stones).  But even when these conditions are met the shelter remains red.  Sometimes it is caused due to the entrance and it those cases I turn around 180 degrees and the shelter goes green allowing me to place it.  

What I have noticed is it is hard finding locations that support a wind proof fire along with a snow shelter near it to receive warmth.  Sometimes what looks like a good location for a snow shelter and after many many orientation attempts it just does not work.  Now with the update to the camp fire to a cooking fire with a stone ring, the locations that I used to use are now obsolete.

My thoughts are did the Devs make it difficult on purpose.  I have had many near death experiences trying to place a snow shelter.

My question is should this be changed to make it easier?

Or at least give us some guidelines for correct location placement. Visually indicate what the problem is with the area when placing a snow shelter.

Or have a method to "improve" the ground so that it can then provide an acceptable area for the shelter.

Archived