Moll

Hello,

i have collected my ideas i found interesting, i know maybe some of them are suggested already, but i would like to start some discussion about it. Feel free to coment any point of my list. Thanks for reading my words and have a nice day.

Gameplay in general:

1. Candles in various sizes as decent light source and fire keeper.
2. Oil lamps as craftable variant of candles.
3. Fall into water (ice break) provides small chance to loose your active item in water and damage or ruin water unprotected items, like non-canned food, or matches.
4. Matches, wood and tinder can get wet.
5. Fire extinguishing to save a wood.
6. Lootable bottles for drink tranport. Thermo bottles keeping your tea hot. 
7. Tea and coffee cups cannot be transported in backpack.
8. Compass for orientaion.
9. Pen / Permanent marker, able to draw in your map.
10. Animated slope falling. You can loose some stuff in progress, same mechanic like dropping your rifle in bear attack.
11. You can harvest fuel from second latern. Same function like unloading rifle, but for fuel.
12. MRE and condensed milk should not spoil so quickly, it shouldnt decay at all.
13. Lootable binoocular and smaller monooccular.
14. You can slip on ice, or snow plated stem when running, or on edge, when you too close.
15. Craftable jerky from raw flesh.

Gun play:

1. Ammunition and flares can be harvested for powder used as fire accelerant or maybe used as acoustic decoy to scare predators (firecracker).
2. Rifle rounds can be turned in dum-dum rounds (open lead core) with knife. Less accurate, less penetration, more bleeding.
3. Sporterized hunting rifle. Its like hunting rifle, but with naked barrel. Less wood furniture makes rifle lighter, bolt is set for rapid fire and new dioptric sights
for better aiming and improved accuracy. Its basically Lee Enfield for target shooting. Uses as same .303 ammo as hunting rifle.

New guns:
1. Shotgun. Uses 12 gauge slug or buckshot. Buckshot is good for small game at short distance but useless against bear or moose, because cannot provide 
critical hit for instant kill, it causes just bleeding. Critical hit is possible only for rabbits, wolfs and deers. Slug round is longer distance massive stopper even for bear, 
but its scarce. Shotgun is double barrel SxS and it can shoot two fast follow up shots and then long reload, unlike boltaction rifle, where reloading periods are more consistent.
Simple, sturdy and reliable gun. Can be shortened with hacksaw, turning hunting shotgun into compact, less effective (shorter distance, less damage) selfdefence 
weapon.
2. Lever action rifle. Less durable, shorter range than hunting rifle. It fires faster than boltaction hunting and you can cycle bolt when you aiming, less 
accurate in general. It can share ammo with probably upcoming revolver, so its also better for smaller game, due to lower damage based on use of revolver ammunition.
In different view, it could use own king of ammo, like .45-70, so it would be good even against bear, however, accuracy and distance is affected by heavy and slow 
projectile of .45-70 black powder cartridge.
3. Magnum hunting rifle. Single shot break action or big bolt action rifle with max. 3 round capacity with internal, non removable magazine in hard hitting 
cartridge, like .458 Winchester Magnum. Gun and ammo cannot be looted in general,
except handfull of interiors. Can be attached with optic sight. High recoil, low accurate gun requires serious care, but its powerfull even against most 
dangerous animals.
4. Semiautomatic pistol, based or Browning High power. Unlike revolver you have 13 fast followed shots, but you have only one magazine in your gun, so 
before inserting you have to load magazine one by one. Rather selfdefence tool than a true weapon, in hunting perspective its effective at very short distance 
against small game, like rabbits. It can kill wolf with a bit of luck with one headshot. Nearly useless against bears and very limited use against mooses. Lootable only 
in certain office interiors along with 9x19 mm ammunition.
5. Single shot .22 rimfire rifle. Simple gun for small game, very ligh ammunition. Ideal for rabbits. 
6. Sling shot. Uses rocks as ammunition and can be crafted. Superior to hand throw. Limited aiming provided.

Most suggested guns are probably better fr survival rather than for story mode (maybe as npc character gun, non obtainable for player). I am aware that variety of ammo calibers can be tricky, but we can talk about it :)

Hello, and welcome to the forums! Hope you will stay around! Looking forward to discussions with someone who clearly cares for game a lot, to make such a collection of ideas as their very first post! :) 

You are right, basically, almost everything you wrote was suggested before - but that is okay, in fact, that is great - it is always the things that are suggested the most by the community that eventually make it into the game. So, don't worry about suggesting things that were here before.

Now, please dont take it personally that I will be tearing into your suggestions - I think all the opinions are worth mentioning, and I am happy to discuss our opinions further. Before I start, I want to say that many of these things are a luxury kind of suggestions - they would alter the balance of the game. I think that is something important to keep in mind - the last thing we will want is to make the game feel easy, I am sure we all agree that the challenge is what keeps the game so interesting! So, lets keep it in mind :) 

21 minutes ago, Moll said:

3. Fall into water (ice break) provides small chance to loose your active item in water and damage or ruin water unprotected items, like non-canned food, or matches.
10. Animated slope falling. You can loose some stuff in progress, same mechanic like dropping your rifle in bear attack.
11. You can harvest fuel from second latern. Same function like unloading rifle, but for fuel.
12. MRE and condensed milk should not spoil so quickly, it shouldnt decay at all.
14. You can slip on ice, or snow plated stem when running, or on edge, when you too close.

1. Sadly, Hinterland told us that candles are right now impossible to add. They are having issues with figuring out how the lighting of candles should work. But they would like to add them into the game, according to Raphael via Milton Mailbox in the past.
2. I think you could actually craft a candle as well, if animal fat was a thing. But yea, oil lamps could work. Still, same issue as with candles, sadly.
3. Now that would be a pretty unpopular mechanic... but I like it. Makes the "ice dip"  more punishing, which would be a good thing for the game :)
4. Too difficult to implement, and not worth it, in my humble opinion. I get the point of realism, but the game can be a bit more simplistic. But this is not something I would be against - I just think the development time could be used for better things.
5. I am hardly against this. The point of the game is to punish people for reckless choices - you should think before putting too much wood on the fire. Might not seem very realistic, but it does add some level of challenge to the game, forcing you to manage your resources better.
6. I like the idea of thermo bottles as a tool item. We had a discussion on this recently. I don't quite care about the bottles - I see the point here again, with realism - but I don't think it is necessary to micromanage everything. Plastic bottles are the world´s most common garbage - they are literally everywhere. You would find plenty of them around the Great bear so I don't quite care that they are not mentioned as an item.
7. Again a hard no to this. Dont take the depiction of a cup too literally - this is just to give it a more immersive look. Noone in here would be stupid enough to store boiled coffee in an actual, open cup. And those items have medicinal value - they have to be transportable in a backpack... I would imagine in a small, 0.5l plastic bottles.
8. This is impossible because of the Aurora event. This is an EMP event, a geomagnetic in origin. Not only would the electronics work, compass wouldn't either. 
9. No problem with this, really - just not sure how difficult would that be to implement. Also, you would need to cover the area of the map with charcoal map first, to prevent players from drawing over blank spaces themselves. 
10. Way too difficult to implement for next to no reward. The devs could spend the time on something more rewarding. Again, realism does not trump game balance or game relevance. Animations are hard to come by - well, they were, till now. Hinterland is a small studio - limited access to animators and equipment neccesary to record for animations, plus the studio. In my opinion, this would be unnecessary.
11. Yea. This just does not make sense in the game. I would like to see this but would make the player lose a small percentage of the lantern oil that would "get spilled" during the act. 
12. MREs spoil very slowly, actually. But they MREs spoil very slowly, actually. Milk, energy bar and canned food with its spoilage make little sense. I don't think the canned goods should spoil at all. Plenty of cans that are 60 years old are still consumable, if the seal was not broken. Their spoilage should be caused by elements instead. Also, spoiled canned foods should have the option to be emptied for the recycled can, but that is beside the point. But I think the spoilage is mostly linked to the game effects, rather than realism.
13. Always liked the idea of heavy binoculars, as a useful tool, but heavy - to make it more of a chore to carry around - which balances its usefulness. So, a hard no to a "light version" of monocular. Heavy binoculars are good enough in my opinion.
14. Again, way too difficult to implement at a very small reward. Not worth it in my opinion.

Guns: I am going to go on a guess here that you are probably a gun person. Well, plenty of us dont know a lot about guns, people like me who live in Europe where gun laws are very hard probably barely ever even saw a gun before. Probably not the case for the survival character, still, the way he fires rifles suggests he has next to no gun expertise to begin with.

For that reason, I am hardy against all of your gun suggestions. Especially ammo types - messing around with ammo by a complete amateur would result in deadly injuries. 
Also, there is no "accuracy" in the game, no bullet drop mechanics, etc. In fact, rifle mechanics are very simplistic within the game - the shot goes in perfect straight line, regardless of your bobbing, and has a limited range - trying to shoot something from really far away will simply mean the shot never reaches its target. 
The rifle is meant to be a loud weapon with rare, weightless ammo but heavy weapon, which has a clip of 10. Does a lot of damage, has weaker bleeding and high crit chances. Compared to a Bow which is craftable and renewable, weights less but has heavier ammo (arrows), has a curve to being fired, is quieter, and does less damage with lesser crit chance, but causes higher bleeding.
That brings me to a point about your sporting rifle being unbalanced weapon, because it would have the benefits of the rifle, but not the great weight, which is its important demerit.

No No No No to all those weapon types. Hinterland made themselves known that TLD will not be the survival game where player ends up sitting on a 1000 rounds of different kind of ammunition. They want the rifle ammo to be rare. There was plans to add revolver in the past, I imagine this will have its own caliber, and it will serve as a defensive weapon. I would not mind seeing a double barrel or a single barrel shotgun which would serve as a protective gun. 

But besides that, a hard no to new guns, ammo types, reloading benches, explosives and other shenanigans. This aint the game for it, anyways. Rifle was carefully selected as the most believable weapon to be found in that area, with the caliber for hunting. I dont expect we will ever see a different kind of rifle in the game besides this one.

Slingshots and slings especially were a problem. While they might make sense realism wise - if they were added and could be used to make animals bleed, they would be too overpowered weapons... with infinite collectable ammo and low crafting requirements.
If, on the other hand, it was just a "more precise" stone throwing tool to stun rabbits, it would be pointless waste of development resources, because it would not bring anything new to the game.

All in all, cool ideas. Sorry that I tore into them too much - those were my opinions, and some of the insights that I have seen over the time I was here on the forums. Hope you understand I have nothing against ya, and that there are no hard feelings :) 

1 hour ago, Moll said:

Dont be so triggered my friend, its not just about guns, thats minor. I would preffer ideas mentioned in general gameplay you know.

I Live in Europe, so really dont care about American gun freaks.

Don't let that upset you. I am sure you can imagine that tons of people come by here with fun ideas for that very reason. Half of these people would turn the game into a Call of Duty FPS wolf shooting game if they could. Your suggestions around guns were the most detailed part of the entire post - and some people are very quick to jump to conclusions :)

For the future, when thinking about the weapons and guns, I recommend trying to see them less as "caliber", "type" etc - but more as a tool with some specific functions. Does not matter much what gauge a shotgun would be - what is more important what it will be good for in the game. In this case, the most useful use would be a gun that is designed to be used at close range as a defensive weapon - something to break the charge of a predator. I see a double barrel sawed off, 20 gauge slugs, with close to mid-close range, causes heavy damage, low crit chance, and slow bleeding to all animals except moose and bear. It would break the charge of a wolf, and even a bear. 2 shot capacity. I imagine that could be a pretty decent defensive weapon - 20 gauges would be heavier then flare rounds, too.

Problem with the many gun types and different calibers is this - what you would suggest is better for the game?
If there is 1 type of a rifle with 100 bullets spread around the world or 4 types of guns with each 30 bullets spread around the entire world? Naturally, the first makes more sense, gamewise.

13 hours ago, Moll said:

Ammunition and flares can be harvested for powder used as fire accelerant or maybe used as acoustic decoy to scare predators (firecracker).

I like this idea a lot. Being able to use ammunition even when you don't have a rifle... this is balanced beacause this transforms a high-value item into a one-shot against wolves attack, even for a few seconds.

Would be nice, but also redundant

It's called a storm lantern. I found 14 on a stalker run. How many you need?

As long as the mechanic is invisible, I see no reason that falling in water couldn't be made more nasty. Just make it optional in the custom menu.

They had that once, I believe. It was removed for reason. I see no reason to put it back in. Maybe make it a custom menu option.

Already exists. Pull torches until the fire goes out. Harvest the torches for sticks. At firebuilding five, it almost breaks even.

There's a mod for that, at least the water bottles. The act of objects you can put other objects in however... that sometimes results in unintended bugs. Since the game assumes an unlimited amount of plastic bottles, and hot items already linger hot, this is redundant.

They handwave the unlimited bottles of plastic water bottles. I see no reason for this being an issue. 

When the earth's magnetic field is bonkers? Just drop a stick.

I oppose this on aesthetic reasons.

Ehhh... For the same reason I oppose jumping, I oppose this. I suspect I could find a way to exploit this game mechanic. Maybe to get past invisible barriers.

They have a mod for that. Also, you can. You just harvest the entire lantern.

That's a game balance issue. Also you can eat anything cooked/processed at cooking 5, so the point is moot.

Again, there's a mod for that.

It's called sprained ankle and wrist. They just don't bother with the visuals for it.

Yes. THIS.

Gun play:

1. Ammunition and flares can be harvested for powder used as fire accelerant or maybe used as acoustic decoy to scare predators (firecracker).

A normal bullet would be a bad choice, but the flare from the flare gun? Yeah. You should be able to use a shell to make a fire ignite faster. I like this one. However, you can already scare wildlife by shooting a gun or flare. Why would you take an item and turn it into something that has one use, when you can already use it for that use?

2. Rifle rounds can be turned in dum-dum rounds (open lead core) with knife. Less accurate, less penetration, more bleeding.

The combat mechanics are simplified for a reason. I see no need to complicate an issue. Furthermore, what's the restriction? What's the downside? I mean, the gun drops most things already. It's assumed that your skill level means you hit in a bad location.

3. Sporterized hunting rifle. Its like hunting rifle, but with naked barrel. Less wood furniture makes rifle lighter, bolt is set for rapid fire and new dioptric sights for better aiming and improved accuracy. Its basically Lee Enfield for target shooting. Uses as same .303 ammo as hunting rifle.

Why? I mean, I like more options, but what does it bring to the story? How does this enhance my play?

New guns:
1. Shotgun. Uses 12 gauge slug or buckshot. Buckshot is good for small game at short distance but useless against bear or moose, because cannot provide  critical hit for instant kill, it causes just bleeding. Critical hit is possible only for rabbits, wolfs and deers. Slug round is longer distance massive stopper even for bear,  but its scarce. Shotgun is double barrel SxS and it can shoot two fast follow up shots and then long reload, unlike boltaction rifle, where reloading periods are more consistent.
Simple, sturdy and reliable gun. Can be shortened with hacksaw, turning hunting shotgun into compact, less effective (shorter distance, less damage) selfdefence  weapon.

Okay. Sure. But there's a game balance issue. Now you add a new gun. You add new ammo. So do we now double the ammo available, or reduce ammo of one type to allow more of the second?

2. Lever action rifle. Less durable, shorter range than hunting rifle. It fires faster than boltaction hunting and you can cycle bolt when you aiming, less  accurate in general. It can share ammo with probably upcoming revolver, so its also better for smaller game, due to lower damage based on use of revolver ammunition. In different view, it could use own king of ammo, like .45-70, so it would be good even against bear, however, accuracy and distance is affected by heavy and slow  projectile of .45-70 black powder cartridge.

Okay... uh... how often have you needed to rapid fire in the game? Because honestly, I'd never use it. Waste of ammo.

3. Magnum hunting rifle. Single shot break action or big bolt action rifle with max. 3 round capacity with internal, non removable magazine in hard hitting  cartridge, like .458 Winchester Magnum. Gun and ammo cannot be looted in general,
except handfull of interiors. Can be attached with optic sight. High recoil, low accurate gun requires serious care, but its powerfull even against most  dangerous animals.

Not to be redundant, but we're coming back to: More types of guns means more ammo types means game balance issue.

4. Semiautomatic pistol, based or Browning High power. Unlike revolver you have 13 fast followed shots, but you have only one magazine in your gun, so  before inserting you have to load magazine one by one. Rather selfdefence tool than a true weapon, in hunting perspective its effective at very short distance against small game, like rabbits. It can kill wolf with a bit of luck with one headshot. Nearly useless against bears and very limited use against mooses. Lootable only  in certain office interiors along with 9x19 mm ammunition.

Mo' guns, Mo problems.

5. Single shot .22 rimfire rifle. Simple gun for small game, very ligh ammunition. Ideal for rabbits. 

Rocks also ideal for rabbits. Crouch in the path of a rabbit. Let me know how close it gets before it runs.

6. Sling shot. Uses rocks as ammunition and can be crafted. Superior to hand throw. Limited aiming provided.

Wouldn't mind. Might be useful to throw rocks a mile away to distract a wolf.

Thanks for oppinion guys. Very interesting discussion.

I am happy that craftable jerky and flare/gun powder as fire accelerant have generated some attention.

About candles,i am sure they can use same solution as for laterns. Instead of fuel, it would affect condition. If you use a cup-like candle, to avoid problem with model, because there is no need to solve shortening candle during operation.

About guns, i think that suggestion will make it short:

1. Revolver (selfdefence, good in wolf attack event, like blunt weapon, but with possible headshot as instant kill, valid for wolves only)

2. Shotgun (short range stopper, can be shortened)

3. Slingshot (distract and small game hunt)

4. Hunting rifle variant in same caliber as standart hunting rifle. Generic single shot break action, but attached with low power 2x scope. So you have scope, but trade off is one shot and long reload. Uses .303 ammo. Occasionally replaces standart hunting rifle in spawn (maybe for whole world ? So all rifles are either Hunting rifles or this). Scope could be blinded by snow and requires manual cleaning. 

So unlike my previous suggestion, you have only a handful types of ammo (flare is not included):

.38 Special (probably implemented)

12 gauge for shotgun

Rocks (ingame)

.303 (ingame already, shared for HUnting rifle and for scoped rifle)

I suggested detailed guns, cuz i wanted some variety in hunt aimed rather for defence. But combo of handgun/shotgun/rifle/scoped rifle/slingshot is huge variety and its not over complicated with ammo types. I dont usually care about rifle in my survival journeys. But i would use shotgun or revolver much more.

How ti balance new ammo types in world? Ammotype is lootable only when gun matching this ammo is spawned. When does not occur in game rest of ammotypes have slightly higher count. 12 gauge would use same spawn mechanic and rules as .303, .38 special would be lootable mostly in interiors. Or maybe dews will apply same rules as for .303. God knows. Rfiles, when their spawn is allowed, always apperas somewhere. So it would their ammo. But revolver and shotgun are random, and they may be spawned or not. They are much more random, because unlike rifle, they are not pure hunting tool.

I still think that there should be no ammo variations, and I would not like to see bullets, flares or flareshell dismantling because it is something that simply should not be attempted by amateurs, which the survivor is. This aint the typical oversimplified survival game, but a game that highly resembles realism (save some balancing changes). Flare in itself can be used to start a fire, and I admit that loaded distress pistol could be something to use as a firestarter as well - but that is where I would draw the line. Messing with gunpowder is not only dangerous, but as soon as that would became an option, players would start requesting craftable explosives, and the game could divert in a bad direction from there. Not to mention it could affect the ESRB ratings, though I am not sure of that.

I think revolver was planned as a gun for self-defense, probably against wolves primarily. I imagine it would have been lighter gun with more common ammo and much higher rate of fire then the rifle, but I suppose it would be moderate at everything, from damage to crit chance to bleeding. 
But who knows if it is still in consideration for the development.

Made my comment on the shotgun already - seeing the rifle,Id  expect something similar - single or double barrel, not a pump action.

Interesting idea with only one extra type of gun spawning, with its respective ammo - but if the weapons arent designed for hunting, I dont they would affect the balance too much. If revolver has common ammo and is rare, and both the shotgun with shells is rare, the amounts of rifle rounds woudlnt have to be adjusted, at least not much. And in a way, it would make things more immersive - finding the wrong type of ammo then you need, because you cant find the particular weapon for it. The random idea is interesting, but this sort of RNG is not very popular in TLD.

Different type of rifle for same caliber - this I would be okay with, though I dont think it is neccesary. Scope as well does not seem neccesary, considering the rifles do have limited distance of fire, and I dont think that distance should really increase - not the kind of game where you hunt from 400 m away, not this survivor, with their limited experience with firearms.

I didnt previously see much potential in a slingshot, but as a tool that would help "throw" rocks further to distract the wolves from further away, I can see its value. As long as it cant hurt the bigger animals, I would be fine with it. Not that I would consider it neccesary...

I would take my time on the idea of the jerky - frankly, I would like to see some major cooking overhaul that could introduce jerky as well. I can see a value in natural food which would not produce smelliness, at expense of long preparation time and loss of caloric value.

Just some further thoughts.

13 hours ago, Moll said:

Thanks for oppinion guys. Very interesting discussion.

I am happy that craftable jerky and flare/gun powder as fire accelerant have generated some attention.

About candles,i am sure they can use same solution as for laterns. Instead of fuel, it would affect condition. If you use a cup-like candle, to avoid problem with model, because there is no need to solve shortening candle during operation.

About guns, i think that suggestion will make it short:

1. Revolver (selfdefence, good in wolf attack event, like blunt weapon, but with possible headshot as instant kill, valid for wolves only)

2. Shotgun (short range stopper, can be shortened)

3. Slingshot (distract and small game hunt)

4. Hunting rifle variant in same caliber as standart hunting rifle. Generic single shot break action, but attached with low power 2x scope. So you have scope, but trade off is one shot and long reload. Uses .303 ammo. Occasionally replaces standart hunting rifle in spawn (maybe for whole world ? So all rifles are either Hunting rifles or this). Scope could be blinded by snow and requires manual cleaning. 

So unlike my previous suggestion, you have only a handful types of ammo (flare is not included):

.38 Special (probably implemented)

12 gauge for shotgun

Rocks (ingame)

.303 (ingame already, shared for HUnting rifle and for scoped rifle)

I suggested detailed guns, cuz i wanted some variety in hunt aimed rather for defence. But combo of handgun/shotgun/rifle/scoped rifle/slingshot is huge variety and its not over complicated with ammo types. I dont usually care about rifle in my survival journeys. But i would use shotgun or revolver much more.

How ti balance new ammo types in world? Ammotype is lootable only when gun matching this ammo is spawned. When does not occur in game rest of ammotypes have slightly higher count. 12 gauge would use same spawn mechanic and rules as .303, .38 special would be lootable mostly in interiors. Or maybe dews will apply same rules as for .303. God knows. Rfiles, when their spawn is allowed, always apperas somewhere. So it would their ammo. But revolver and shotgun are random, and they may be spawned or not. They are much more random, because unlike rifle, they are not pure hunting tool.

Just FYI I know you want to keep the ammo for the shotgun simple, but the fact there is more than one type of shotgun shell, its a defining characteristic of the firearm. There's a reason it is considered a utility firearm, it has multiple uses that change when you use a different type of shell. At this point I almost would not want to include the shotgun in the game, the hunting rifle seems to be more than enough at this point for what you can do. If birds other than ravens were present and huntable (like the ptarmigan) then I would see the point of the shotgun, trying to hunt a bird with a hunting rifle is like trying to hunt a rabbit with the hunting rifle, it would be too difficult and pointless even if you hit the animal, i.e. you would have little usable meat.

I have aimed double barrel shotgun as hunting weapon for rabbits, or selfdefence weapon against wolves. Slug type isnt neccesary probably, i think that offer you can turn long shotgun into short selfdefence tool is interesting and enough to justify shotgun gameplay ingame.

When you remove slug ammunition shotgun will be very limited against bears and mooses, that not a big problem. However i would add slugs into game, because then you can use shotgun as limited rifle. Even when slug can drop a bear and by this way to reduce bear as serious threat, its limited to bad accuracy, low range and horrible aiming, because aiming Side-by-side double barrel sux, espacially when sights are not present and you aim loosely by top of the barrel's cluster. As you said ammo variety was charasteristic for shotguns and when slugs are more scarce than classic buckshot, i dont see any problem with ammo varienty for shotgun.

I am not affaraid, that shotgun with slugs will beat rifle. Both weapons have pros and cons anf this is why it can increase gameplay variety.

On 11/29/2018 at 4:30 PM, Mroz4k said:

4. Too difficult to implement, and not worth it, in my humble opinion. I get the point of realism, but the game can be a bit more simplistic. But this is not something I would be against - I just think the development time could be used for better things.

Au contraire! This is from Milton Mailbag 3:

On 7/6/2018 at 2:36 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

Yeah - we actually have a "wetness" value for wood found in the world, but we don't currently use it. We were planning on introducing the idea that some fuel sources wouldn't be dry, and would either affect firestarting or heat production, but we thought it might introduce too much micro, so we've never used it. We already have the concept of needing to "cure" wood to use it (ex. with the saplings for bow/arrow crafting) so it wouldn't be too hard to support the idea of wet wood that needs to be dried for optimal use.

Problem is, if we added it, people would ask for it to be an option, which complicates things a fair bit. So, in general we try to avoid adding mechanics to the game that will only appeal to the "hardcore" players. That said, if we felt it added something good to the overall experience for all our players, we'd consider adding it.

It seems the systems for this mechanic are all already in the game; they just haven't activated them. Personally, I think they could add this to Stalker and Interloper (given that the warming effects of fire work differently on those modes from the other two anyway), without it damaging the experience or introducing too much micro-management - indeed, I think it'd improve the game.

I guess when official modding is supported, this will be a very easy thing to add - but personally I'd be in favour of it being part of the full game. Apparently it "complicates things a fair bit" to add this as a Custom game option; it'd be interesting to know why.

• 1 month later...

Came upon this in my "binoculars" search, as I'd like to see them in the game.

Quite a list up there. Candles, yes. But FWIW, I would not like to see any guns added. No handgun, no shotgun, no MAC-10 or AK-47, boomerang, throwing stars, or slingshot. None. The rifle is enough.

Nope, shotguns is decent against wolves and revolver is last resort effective self defence tool. Especially that shotguns are far more common than rifles for hunting a small game.

Also revolver will be added in next episodes and it will be transfered into survival too.

Nobody asked about military grade machineguns.

There is no point in adding more guns.

There's already 3 different items that can be used as weapons to kill animals (soon to be 4 when the bear spear gets into Survival mode). And aside from bears, which you can avoid by just keeping your distance, there's fire torches and flares to help deter dangerous animals.

The only reason to add more guns is some whimsical notion of "variety". But why not add more variety to food items, clothing items, books, tools, animals, etc., before you start putting more guns in?

More variety, the better. I dont care much about rifle hunting. I would preffer shotgun as self defence tool against wolves, which provides better protection than flare gun. Again, more variety, more fun. I dont ask for FN FALs with red dots, or Glock pistol. Simple shotgun and revolver will do right.

Archived